San Francisco Shopping

the helmut lang store that opened on maiden lane last year is becoming a theory store...

I got a card from Barney's saying they are going to have a private sale on May 20th. Does anyone know are handbags going to be on sale? I am in love with Sissi Rossi handbag, but it's $1000.

Im going to san francisco the third week of july and i would like to know the tourist must-see places. Thanks in advance for yout help

^ Well, Union Square is a given for shopping, but you may be looking for something different. What do you plan on buying while in the city? Gifts, clothes, or something else?

If you're wanting souvenirs (like an "I left my heart in San Francisco" shirt), your best bet is Fisherman's Wharf. There's also plenty of little knickknacks in Chinatown.

Again, it really depends on your taste and what you want to get out of the trip. While we're at it, were you looking for tourist suggestions in general (not just strictly related to shopping)? Let me know if you have any questions.

^Well thank you so much for your reply. I already did a bit of research about the union square shops and the near streets. But i was wondering if there are another stuff to do while visiting. And maybe i could use some help with the feedback of stores like barneys, saks, etc. Thanks and BTW karma :smile:

Yes, there are two Zara locations - keep in mind they're both located very close to one another.

Post Street Zara
250 Post Street
San Francisco, CA 94101

Market Street Zara
865 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

Hey brbrry.... I live in the Bay Area and can tell you there are alot of great things to see/do in SF in those shopping 'downtimes'... a few options:

Check out Haight and Ashbury: this is the grunge/melrose/shabby chic area just west of downtown
Check out MoMA: The Museum of Modern Art SF has the Frida Kahlo exhibit currently...
Of Course Lombard Street: the 'crookediest street' in the world
Golden Gate Park: SF's version of Central Park
Take BART to Berkeley: $6.60 round trip will get culture, tye dye, protests and the YUMMIEST food this side of, well, anyhwere..ask a local 'Where is the gourmet ghetto' of Berkeley?
AT&T Park: Go to a Giants game!
Ferry rides: right under the golden gate bridge!
The best ice cream.... across the bay in Piedmont at Fentons!

Hope that gives you some ideas! Have fun and safe travels...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot for repling! i know your advices will be very helpful!!!

best coffee/espresso: Blue Bottle Cafe on 5th street, a little off of Market, toward Mission.

the new prada store opened on the corner of post and grant, as well as debeers across the street (if you're into spending money)...
CB2 opened a store next door to the apple flagship on ellis/stockton/market...
it's a great space and they have some cool home furnishings/accessories...

link theory holdings (parent company of theory and helmut lang) opened a boutique on fillmore street called LTH market, which sells theory, lang, rag & bone, alice & olivia and gryphon...
there's a new ralph lauren concept store opening a block down...

I can't believe I will be moving to San Francisco after 7 years of living in Paris! We're hoping to be able to buy pretty centrally and I'm looking forward to being in a friendly (hopefully) city!

However, I'm concerned about how I'll be getting my fashion fixes - particularly of Paris labels - does anyone know where to go in SF to find Lanvin, Chloe, Balenciaga and Rick Owens, or even Acne jeans (I know there's always online for Acne - but I prefer to try before I buy!)

Looking forward to hearing back from SF natives!

I can't believe I will be moving to San Francisco after 7 years of living in Paris! We're hoping to be able to buy pretty centrally and I'm looking forward to being in a friendly (hopefully) city!

However, I'm concerned about how I'll be getting my fashion fixes - particularly of Paris labels - does anyone know where to go in SF to find Lanvin, Chloe, Balenciaga and Rick Owens, or even Acne jeans (I know there's always online for Acne - but I prefer to try before I buy!)

Looking forward to hearing back from SF natives!

congrats grill!
so for balenciaga, rick owens, and acne jeans, i would say barneys is your best bet...it just opened a year ago and i find myself there often checking out their selection...
they also have a large selection of givenchy bags and a gorgeous shoe floor...

barneys also carries lanvin, but susan (which is in the laurel heights part of town) is worth checking out too...

neiman marcus has a good selection of chloé and a little balenciaga, along with little "boutiques" for valentino, dolce, carolina herrera, oscar de la renta, and marni...
saks just redesigned parts of the store, with a new shoe salon, plus new in store boutiques for prada and dries van noten...

You could also check out the Crossroads on Fillmore Street. It's in a nicer area, so people drop off all sorts of high end/designer goodies there. They probably won't have all the brands you mentioned, but it's a great place to dig.

a few chain updates:

- the max mara store is expanding and a temp store is open on maiden lane
- a herve leger/max azria store is opening in the san francisco centre
- fillipaK is opening a store on kearny around the corner from the new ritz carlton residences near geary/maiden lane
- tory burch is open in maiden lane

Thanks so much for the detailed info Kimair and mousquerader! Sadly, with all this eco turmoil, God knows when I'll be arriving in town!

Kimair - I know your a fan of The Row would you say that Barneys the best stockist in SF of the label or is it the only stockist? I am looking forward to actually being able to buy some of the pieces at US prices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->