San Francisco Shopping

Anyone have any suggestions as to what stores I should definitely check out when I go to Haight/Ashbury? ^_^

^ what are you looking for?

The usual suspects would include Villains & Villains Vault and Shoe Biz...

Last edited by a moderator:
upthebracket said:
Anyone have any suggestions as to what stores I should definitely check out when I go to Haight/Ashbury? ^_^

My favorite vintage store...La Rosa (a few shops down from the obligatory Amoeba Music)
You'll find great stuff there
Have fun!
:heart:

Anyone have any new suggestions?

I'm co-leading a trip through my university to study homelessness in San Fran in May. I've never been to California; I'm certainly crapping myself in anticipation (so eloquent tonight am I..).

Thrift store/cheap shops would be great.. I'm staying in Chinatown I do believe.

^Thrift Town, at 17th and Mission, is a real emporium.

Check out the stretch of shops on Valencia, one block west of Mission, Clothes Contact, Buffalo Exchange, and especially Community Thrift Store.

These all smell like thrift stores, so you've been warned.

The Upper Haight has plenty of thrift stores, but they're not all particularly thrifty. Still, Wasteland is the way to go. There's also another Buffalo Exchange on Haight, as well as a Crossroads Trading Company. I can't remember the names of all the thrift shops on Haight Street, because the Haight still gives me the heebie-jeebies everytime I go there. I hate it so.

Don't miss American Rag Cie on Van Ness--it's up near the Hard Rock Cafe. Go one block east and down a bit on Polk for the Fashion Exchange and Out of the Closet. Go over one more block east to Larkin, and on Sutter Street you will find the amazing Venus Superstar, which is perhaps not the cheapest, but is loads of fun if you like unique, handmade pieces.

For the smell of the new, try the big H&M on Powell and O'Farrell. Also, here's a Forever21 down the street at the cable car turnaround, and an Urban Outfitters up the block and across the street at Powell and Ellis. I also love Marshall's at the corner of 5th and Market; it's in the basement. For shoes, there's the DSW on Powell, as well. Again, hit the basement for the deals.

Loehmann's at Sutter near Kearny: you can find some superlative deals here, especially on summer clothes. It's always freezing in San Francisco in the summer, so it gets priced accordingly. Last year I paid around $3 to $5 apiece for Triple Five Soul and (non-obnoxious) Juicy Couture shorts to wear back East for a real summer trip. Hit the clearance racks! Their shoe store is a half block away on the southwest corner of Kearny and Sutter.

Check out the Yelp site for more referrals. I'm sure there's a billion little new boutiques I know nothing about!

I just returned to Vegas after a few days in San Francisco. I only thrift because I have all the big stores at home. So I mainly, well, only shopped in Haight Ashbury. I guess it was okay. It basically had all the same stores that are in Melrose in LA. I wanted to go to the H&M in Union Square and didnt even get a chance to do that. I guess I was traumatized by the hippies in Haight. People walk by them like they dont exist, but theyre kinda scary. Never seen so many homeless people all in one place. I couldnt even enjoy my shopping. The Wasteland was cool, but there's one in LA, so it was kind of eh. I guess since there are so many people who live in more country side areas around SF that this is where they get most of their shopping done. But in Vegas we have every single store imaginable. It's just the vintage that lacks, so I do it out of town.

The Haight has a lot of vintage stores, some pretty expensive and others not so much. There are also a lot of great thrift stores like Crossroads and Buffalo Exchange. I am also obsessed with American Apparel, and they have a store here as well.

San Francisco has REALLY stepped up its game in shopping. Neimans, saks, bloomingdales (finally), and now barneys.

^It really has.

A lot of people complain about its "lame nightlife" too, but there are so many clubs/bars/trendy restaurants opening up these days. And of course, Barney's coming here is pretty exciting!

I guess I was traumatized by the hippies in Haight. People walk by them like they dont exist, but theyre kinda scary. Never seen so many homeless people all in one place. I couldnt even enjoy my shopping.

Oh PerfectPerfect...How do you expect people to react to them? Run away screaming? ....If you're from SanFran, you just shrug your shoulders. Don't take it personal. I suggest if you're traumatized by the SanFran hippies....don't go to Berkeley.

I dont know, cant figure out if it was funny or sad yet. All I know is that haight x night x fog x homeless = creepy

Either way, I cant wait to go back and check out Union Square.

just saw today that a helmut lang store is opening later this year in maiden lane across from marc jacobs in the old jil sander space...

what are some trendy stores in SF? I want to go to places that are similiar to Kitson in LA..but in san francisco...someone lemme know! I live like 45mins away and never explore LOL.

Went to Jermeys today, totally not amused. They have used things in there.I saw a pair of louboutins that were broken for $139 and a used beatup brown balenciaga bag for $500 :o

Does anybody know of some hidden east bay or peninsula gems? I'm looking to venture out :wink:

I'm going to SF to see my best friend for about 10 days,, making the most out of my trip to the states..
I'm be in NY for the rest of the time, which I am in the process of planning a mini shopping rampage. But what can I get in SF that i can't in NY? Or if there isnt anything, do you suggest i go to all the boutiques and one off places in NY, then hit up places like Urban Outfitters in SF? (yeah, just like Americans are excited about topshop, I'm excited about urban outfitters/AA/Forever21/Gap etc)
I really have no idea what SF is going to be like! My friend isn't too fashion savvy, so i have to sort out where i want to go beforehand..

Also, whats the vintage/thrift like? From the NY thread, i got the impression its mostly expensive designer or collectible.
Are the ones mellowdrama mentioned (Thrift Town, Clothes Contact, Buffalo Exchange, Community Thrift Store.) cheap 'thrift' vintage?

thanks for any help :flower:

If you're London based, the monetary exchange is going to favor you. Check out Loehmann's on Sutter Street, both the shoe store at the corner of Kearny and Sutter as well as the clothing shop a half block further west on the north side Sutter. I've met European airline workers standing in the queue at Marshall's positively beaming over their fashion good fortune. Also hit Marshall's basement store on Fifth and Market, it's more to pick through, but it's not as much a disaster as Ross on Fourth and Market can be.

The four thrifts you listed above are cheap. There's nothing in San Francisco you can't get in New York, excepting perhaps local designers like Sunhee Moon (some of whose line is sold at Barney's New York) or those showcased at Venus Superstar. Thrift store finds can of course be one-of-a-kind. The question is do you have time to sort through all the stinkiness to find the gem?

There's a bunch of boutiques in Hayes Valley (on Hayes Street near Van Ness) which I've never been to, as I can't afford them. Gump's is also a local institution (very high end, not so much clothing oriented, more tchotchkes and jewellery). There's more local flavor on Union Street and Fillmore Street than there is in Union Square.

I'm sure there's all sorts of small, local designer collectives out here I know nothing about, because I'm not as much of a local design follower. Polk Street and Haight Street (both Upper and Lower) are fun for thrifting. Upper Playground is a great local hip-hoppy T-shirt and hoodie kinda place on Fillmore near Haight. There's a similar kind of shop on Sutter whose name I can't tell you, because it's written in such graffiti-like scrawl as to be totally illegible to me. It could be Brand Fury at 780 Sutter--there's a bunch of other fun shops in that link, too.

So good luck and happy shopping!

I'm sure there's all sorts of small, local designer collectives out here I know nothing about, because I'm not as much of a local design follower. Polk Street and Haight Street (both Upper and Lower) are fun for thrifting. Upper Playground is a great local hip-hoppy T-shirt and hoodie kinda place on Fillmore near Haight. There's a similar kind of shop on Sutter whose name I can't tell you, because it's written in such graffiti-like scrawl as to be totally illegible to me. It could be Brand Fury at 780 Sutter--there's a bunch of other fun shops in that link, too...

You might be thinking of HUF; local stores specializing in streetwear, skate and hiphop styles, sneakers. They are small but have a great selection; however, other than the HUF-branded items, I am sure all of it is available in New York. If you are into streetwear, a HUF cap or shirt does have a cachet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->