Sewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh wow he's amazing! the only one i could fine was some texan ranch place which didn't look to promising! thanks so much

I finally figured out how to set up and work my sewing machine. Any suggestions on what to try and do/make first to get used to sewing?

Has anyone had any success using a menswear pattern drafting book?
I have used Metric pattern cutting by Winifred Aldrich and a green book by a Japanese author that I can't remember the title to... and both of them haven't worked for me.

Usually I will anyway fix the pattern right on the body, but the alterations needed always seem a bit 'too much' and I would then prefer to start over. Anything that could make it easier, since I have no (willing) assistant.

Maybe my figure is un-usual... :ermm:
I have noticed already male mannequins are gigantic compared to my own frame

Yes mie :smile: Bodice especially

I have drafted them countless times from each book and seem to never work. I have no problem with women's though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking forward to getting back to clothes making/customising. I finally finished the sashiko and quilted wall hanging which I gave to my Mum for her birthday. I enjoyed making it.

^^ I ask because if you're wanting to draft things for yourself, you may want to try a saran wrap block (explained here and shown here - she also talks about slopers here. I do like FI, can't you tell, hehe). I wish I could tell you more about the process but I've not done it myself. Hope to, soon. Although I'm a newb, so I doubt it'd be helpful anyway :lol:

Along the same lines - there are online tutorials for doing duct tape mannequins, too. It's the same idea as the block. I think the only thing you might need is an assistant, and hopefully a willing one so they don't wander off while you're encased in duct tape :doh:

Oh I've tried both of those^^ The duct tape was kinda terrible. Its size is continuously changing because the tape is not stiff enough.. and maybe there's some issue with gravity, among other things.
But I found a class for it a long time ago. There was a woman who had her own company and that's what she's decided to stick with for her clients. Hers looked really great. I think it depended on the type of duct tape and filler

I'm gonna consider trying the saran method again, thanks for mentioning it. :flower: I didn't know much about patternmaking then, and I couldn't really move in the shirt afterwards lol (although it fit perfectly) but I guess I should know how to fix it now.

I am looking forward to getting back to clothes making/customising. I finally finished the sashiko and quilted wall hanging which I gave to my Mum for her birthday. I enjoyed making it.
It's cute :D It will be interesting what you make as clothes with all the things you can do!

Did you dye this? It looks like indigo

^ Thanks so much. I'm pleased you like it. I didn't dye it myself - the fabric was already in those colours. After doing that, I am thinking of incorporating embroidery and prints on clothing. If I do anything decent, I will post on here.

mail

I made this dress from a $2 garage-sale curtain.

I dont know where to post this, but I'm dying to have a leather 50s style skirt made, ala louis vuitton this fall, do I just go look for leather fabric and go to a tailor? or would a tailor get the fabric?

i started machine sewing 4 weeks ago and i still find it so hard to control the speed of the machine.

ugh..

I'm also curious. How did you guys learn to sew?

I took a series of classes at my university. The classes were hiding in the drama department. I'm not a drama major so I had to get special permission. To be honest, it was probably a bit more intense than I needed but now I'm glad I survived!

At the same time I was taking my classes, one of my friends bought an old sewing machine at a garage sale and taught herself. She bought simple "learn to sew" patterns for things like pillows and skirts. She used YouTube clips to help her with the tough parts.

Most fabric stores have classes too. Have fun!

kitti_mikulova they're nice :-) Interesting fabrics you are using, especially this one. Must be dupioni?

i started machine sewing 4 weeks ago and i still find it so hard to control the speed of the machine.

ugh..

good luck sweetie, just keep it up you ll be happy you did once you get the hang of it.
it s so much fun when you can make interesting stuff for yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->