Should Emmanuelle Alt Leave Vogue Paris?

Should Emmanuelle Alt leave Vogue Paris?

• Yes

Votes: 142 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 129 47.6%

• Total voters
^But houses like Vuitton and Gucci don't want edge, they want profit, the advertisers are more important than the reader in all fairness and Condé Nast love Emmanuelle because she isn't controversial or self centered which is how I felt Carine can be at times, she even had a portrait of herself in her office for crying out loud.
She even upset a big name - Balenciaga with that supposed MaxMara story, everyone forgets that one.

It makes me wonder if Emmanuelle has received any hate mail, since Carine was regularly receiving it from readers and organizations who disagreed with stories she put out in her magazine, I doubt Emmanuelle has but it would interest me, she's low key and good at what she does, but I think she needs to surround herself with some fresh team members, instead of a group of her friends, such as Geraldine and Olivier.

I agree with someone who mentioned when Fabien left... That was when VP took a downward spiral and everyone began to moan.

I'd love to see M/M Paris contribute to VP.

Who was the Art Director before Olivier Lalanne ?

I'd love to see M/M Paris contribute to VP
I would love to see that too. VP needs a strong creative director to pull everything together. When Carine started the editorials were strong but the look of the magazine was not the best and that changed when Fabien came in 2003...he changed the fonts, the design everything and that's what neeeds to happen again, and in order for that to happen someone must direct it and Emmanuelle is definitely not the right person.

I agree with someone who mentioned when Fabien left... That was when VP took a downward spiral and everyone began to moan.

Yeah but it was still good magazine imho, it was really after Marie-Amelie Sauve's departure when everything became too redundant.

Who was the Art Director before Olivier Lalanne ?

Germain Chauveau is currently the AD. Before him it was Johan Svensson, and before him it was Joseph Logan.

I voted no. As previously mentioned, they just need a creative director. That position has been void for too long.

I don't love Alt and was actually really disappointed with some of her issues but I can't imagine a better editor for VP at the moment. She is what Parisian Vogue is all about - a strong stylish woman who knows what she is doing, enjoys herself and genuinely loves fashion. Yes, Carine's version of Vogue was more artful and interesting to talk about but Alt's Vogue is what a real Parisian woman wants and needs.

Well, that's funny because I'm actually a real Parisian woman and I think Vogue Paris is the worst magazine about fashion I know.
I have so many magazines at home, I put way too much money on them, but I have VP for free and I don't read it/look into it. There's nothing interesting about it, it's really a waste of money and paper.
And Carine's version wasn't much better.

I think Vogue Paris is the worst magazine about fashion I know.
I have so many magazines at home, I put way too much money on them, but I have VP for free and I don't read it/look into it. There's nothing interesting about it, it's really a waste of money and paper.
And Carine's version wasn't much better

Bravo mlle lili de Paris :clap:
finally someone is saying a huge Parisian truth
everyone i know hates VogueParis !!!

cant see huge difference between Alt & Carine either

I love that the poll right now stands at exactly 50-50 :innocent:

Does anyone know where I can find circulation figures for Alt's tenure?

If I had to compare CR's debuts to EA's debuts, I must say that what she is doing is way too polish. As somebody said CR's first issues were very edgy in comparison to what the previous team was doing ... I think this is mostly due to Baron art direction... And I&V and Sorrenti who were at this time in their career when they were starting to become huge, but still were working from an "experimental" standpoint ...

The problem with Alt's chief position is that she hasn't made the right choices and didn't really shift the edge ... And kept on doing what VP was in the last days of Carine. I've been far from VP this year but their latest issue was good, IMO.

Tons of people get fired because what we expected them to do in their "try period" wasn't good enough ... Then, if she didn't get fired I guess that's what CNast wants for VP ... So the blame shouldn't be on Alt, but on Mr. CNast France ...

Anyways I think this poll, as for Fire Ms. Wintour, is completely inappropriate and should be banned from tFS... This is completely absurd, stupid and dictatorial ...
I understand that people are allowed to have their opinion, but under this form ... This is not something I want to see here ! What do you think of Ms. Alt editorial direction ? is good and enough explicit as a title, IMO ...

Well, that's funny because I'm actually a real Parisian woman and I think Vogue Paris is the worst magazine about fashion I know.
And Carine's version wasn't much better.

That's funny because I'm a real Parisian man and used to like CR debuts at Vogue Paris ... :innocent::lol::rolleyes:

This poll seems so hateful and negative. I feel bad for people in the fashion industry for being subjected to things like this.

I think Emmanuelle's work, though it's not my absolute favourite. A lot of VP under Carine was Emmanuelle, so if people want hugely drastic change, they expected way too much. However, I think people have very selective memory when it comes to Carine. I never loved her work and I don't remember tFSers loving her work that much either during her era at VP. My favourite VP covers from Carine's era were done by Emanuelle.

I like VP better now than I did before. Emmanuelle's aesthetic is subtler, more natural, and very cool. To me, Carine's work was a bit too flashy and vulgar. Either ways, I respect both women and don't think it's right for us to decide whether or not they should leave their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but I think both of you are outsizing the potential 'real-world' repercutions of this online debate :innocent:

What type of questions should be asked in the forum, then?

I don't care if people in the industry reads or not this forum (but they read it) ... I just think that a poll was not necessary, that this is one of the worst communication tool in terms of driving people's opinion ever invented. and it's not something I wish for anybody : to get fired ! Even though the quality of Alt's work can be questioned, and has to be, I think the term "fired" is violent (words have impact, wherever they are said) ! That's it ... In a thread it can be said, like a coup de sang because you're annoyed, but an entitled thread with a poll is different ! And an alternative is already written in my post, just read it ...

But I guess that according to your avatar and quote, you're not someone who really take things seriously ... Sometimes, I do ... Not everything is a joke ! I wish it could be, but that's not the truth ...

Well, I definitely get your points, and would agree that the same question could be better re-phrased. Still, the fact that the question is being asked at all should give you consideration as to many people's negative perception of Alt's work editing the magazine (arguably split, as the poll now stands)

^Then we should probably be asking what we think of her work, rather than whether or not she should leave. No one is saying that our opinions of her work cannot be discussed.

The revisionist feelings toward Carine are seriously cracking me up. People were bitching and bitching about every issue Carine did shortly before she left.

There are people here missing Carine, maybe a lot and I haven't read absolutely everything so, you might be right having fun of those getting suddenly nostalgic of the same editor they were happy to see leave.

But, as much as I dislike Vogue Paris since she left, I think her departure was a good thing and I don't miss her at all. What bothers me is, as I have read here already, the "new" Vogue Paris looks like a watered, toned down version of what it used to be under Carine's reign. I can totally understand Conde Nast's choice but it seems to be a short term vision to me and the situation makes me feel the same I could feel watching what's going on in politics sometimes. Names change, the backbone remains and all gets quite confusing in the end.

An new impulsion would have been great, a real move. I mean, it is Vogue Paris, a well-known and established publication. They had enough room to feel allowed to dare a little bit and step into risky territories without immediately getting on the slippery slope.

This being said, as much as I'd have loved someone else instead of Emmanuelle Alt (no offense to her work as a stylist, she is pretty good at it, just not right for this new position), I agree with everyone who said the poll is not appropriate. I'm all for criticism and even brutal honesty but not throwing stones at someone or someone's work for the sake of it, just because we are free to express and can do it.

In this tedious atmosphere and era, I don't think our hunger for creativity will find an echo there (at Vogue, at Conde Nast in general). As someone said earlier, they are here to make money and they are even more afraid to lose one cent. They took what they think is the safe path and will stick to it as long as no statistics will prove their strategy wrong. From my point of view, that's the saddest of the story but, fortunately, I think we still have a lot of other magazines, less known for the vast majority of them, that can deliver something closer to what we're looking for.

The covers of both September and October issues were visual distasters and screamed a worrisome lack of inspiration. Some of the contents were alright but the magazine as a whole made me feel quite uncomfortable. It has no identity, no soul, no spirit. Two decent editorials per month aren't enough for a publication of this caliber and, despite the fact I remember some really weak issues from the Roitfeld era, you couldn't blame a lack of direction.

For nothing in the world I would like a return of Carine. I was just hoping for someone with the same strength of vision to replace her. Same strength yet different aesthetics and signature style.

I didn't like Carine in the end (she somehow lost her taste maybe 4-5 years ago, turning out tacky and gimmicky stuff that eventually made things difficult for her) but I also don't care for Emmanuelle. She styles too much herself, all the editorials always have jeans and coats styled exactly like herself. At the same time there's still too much something that echoes Carine. Emmanuelle has been the EIC for over a year, she should have taken the magazine to completely different direction by now.

I wish the magazine would go back to the Joan-Juliet Buck days. VP under her may not have been as sexy as it is now, but there was hell of a lot more interesting reading and the editorials actually offered information, along with a couple of surprisingly creative eds thrown in in every issue. Plus they had a wider array of photographers back then.

I don't understand why people expect her to take a whole new direction from Carine. She had a pretty big influence under Carine's VP. Much of that echo of Carine's VP we have now could very well be Emmanuelle's own style. You can't hire from the inside if you want a whole new vision.

Why should she leave...? Because some readers don't like her contributions? As mentioned, CN seems content with her output, otherwise she'd be gone, so she must be doing something right. At worst, I don't care about her, and at best, I'm indifferent towards her. I feel the same way towards Carine; she's hardly impressive with her CR project (which looks a bland mess despite all the top contributors). I think these women are only good as the sum of a whole, and what VP and CR both are missing is Fabien Baron. He was always the quiet genius that pulled everything together for VP, amongst other magazines. His Interview Magazine is leagues more interesting and inventive than any of these two women's input, and Karl Templer leaves both Emmanuelle and Carine in the dust when it comes to fashion direction.

im glad that she loves daria bc i love daria. i dont mind seeing daria on vogue paris often.

every vogue has its favorite, kate for vogue uk, natalia and natasha for vogue russia. vogue netherland and germany have their homegrown.

vogue paris is quite amazing lately, it has the best contents out of all editions for the past many months. alt is doing an excellent job.

I think these women are only good as the sum of a whole, and what VP and CR both are missing is Fabien Baron.

Bingo! he is often forgotten when discussing Vogue Paris but between 2003 and 2008 Vogue Paris was the best under Carine's tenure. After he left everything started being repeated, trite and tired. Fabien was definitely the one that pulled everything together, and I know I've said this a million times, but what VP needs desperately is a strong creative director.

...I've said this a million times, but what VP needs desperately is a strong creative director.

EXACTLY. stylists and models alone cannot create the excitement and design identity that a strong and talented Creative Director is able to do.

As it stands now, VP is just a very high-end catalogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->