The Brunette Hair Thread

That's true, but if you're going to a salon and tell your stylist you want an ash brown color, it's going to look different than if you say you want a caramel color. This is why pictures are so important! The process can be entirely different than the result, and the client can be saying one thing and the stylist hearing another.

Hair dye is confusing. :unsure:

for the most part i'm just using my natural dark brown hair color as a base but in this pix my roots have been darkened to do a subtle ombre effect to blend my old highlights. i have partial fine honey brown highlights on top and heavier dark blonde highlights on the bottom/rest of the hair to even out the overall color. i tried to correct as much of the fluorescent lighting in this photo as possible.
brunettejanuary02.jpg

(excuse my auntie in the background lol)
my photo

I want to add some highlights to my hair, but I've no idea what kind of highlights would suit me. Maybe someone could post some pictures, because I can't find anything.

My natural hair color is similar to Nina's hair color.
da9925ae9519.jpg

farb-und-stil-coach

my natural colour is a medium "mouse" brown.

my mother protests vigorously when i refer to my colour as "mouse brown".:lol:

i have been dying it dark brown for a number of years but now i think its time to lighten up a bit...

hopefully i wont have to pay a "color correction" fee to do this. :shock:

i think i am going to ask for an ash brown colour and see what happens.

yes, still with the lavender bubbles on my face lol it's not a favorite photo of myself :lol:
my hair was a mess that day (unwashed, slept in, tied up in buns and ponytails, wrestling with dogs etc :rofl:) but it's in natural light :cool:

i haven't colored my hair since January so a lot of my natural color is grown out at the root but it blends with the base color my hairstylist gave me. i still have my old highlights in, which is:
- top partial honey brown highlights
- bottom full blonde highlights

hgyeB.jpg

my photo

i like the highlights in your hair. looks very natural.

a few months ago, i went to the salon and saw my stylist to lighten up. first she put a bleaching shampoo all over my hair. then we tried golden highlights. they came out a bit brassy.

another bad thing is that the brassiness matches the colour of my dog's hair. i'd hate to be thought of as one of those people that try to match their dog. :o

went back for another round of highlights. its better now. next round should fix the problem.

How would you describe the brown shade that Cindy Crawford had in the early 90's? Like for example in the Pepsi commercial from 1992. I'm intersted in going to a salon and have my hair colored in that shade.

i was actually looking for HQ images of the pepsi commercial not too long ago for use as an avatar. never found one. :angry:

i'd call her base colour light brown with golden blonde foils all over.

does anyone else have brittleness issues when lightening their hair?

I used to lightening my medium-dark brown hair light with lots of fine highlights but it looked so dry all the time - I tried so many products to get it to look shiny or at least healthy but nothing worked.

I would love the colour in post #524....

LaCapristo: Yes that is the one.
lucy92 and melfreya: Thank you so much. You have been a big help. I really want to find HQ pictures of Cindy from that commercial but it is really hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking as someone whose notion of beauty has never really progressed past 1991, the blonde highlights of Cindy's hair were concentrated around the front, giving the impression of lightness, but most of the hair was left brunette.

In the attached shot, you can see the blonde only runs through the front of the hair, at the top and sides, but this small amount of highlighting was very versatile, because in a side-part, it framed her face, and when it was brushed back over her head, it gave the impression of more blond hair than there really was.

If you consider Cindy's colouring, she needed to retain a lot of the brunette for the blonde to look natural, and while this actually is an easy enough look to recreate at home, the best effect comes from concentrating the lightener about an inch or so away from the hairline, then applying a thinner layer above that, so that the colour of the highlight becomes graduated between the blonde and the natural colour emerging from your hairline.

(operagloves.com)

Attachments

• Cindy.jpg
    Cindy.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 10
I love being a brunette, have coloured it a few times but not planning on doing it again anytime soon. But I'm bored with it haha I like the length of it and want to keep that but I dunno seems a bit meehh boring I guess.

What would you do to it?
31e950ca8b5b11e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

Help!

I have a gorgeous blonde color, but unfortunently my naturally dark brown hair needs to be bleached to achieve it and it is so damaging. I'd like to be able to grow it very long, which is hard when I keep having to chop off a couple of inches when the ends get too frayed.

I am very pale, and very dark brown looks inky and fake on me. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a lighter brown like Mischa Barton. Here is me

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syailendra Aditya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->