UK Vogue April 2024 : FKA Twigs by Johnny Dufort

The Crow trailer dropped today, I guess we´re going to start hearing more about FKA...

What a let down! I was so hoping for a fresh start for British Vogue, but this looks exactly like Edward’s era. I like the idea of her on top of a black cab, but I hate this style of photography and the building and branches you can see in the background. This could’ve been really fun and fresh, but it’s just not quite there.

How do you describe this photography style? I never know, but it’s so pervasive these days and I just loathe it. McLellan’s take on this would have been great - the lighting in his pictures is always so beautiful and his shots feel so natural but elevated. He’d have done well with shooting a beautiful woman atop a taxi.

I don’t mind FKA Twigs on the cover, but she certainly doesn’t feel like the right choice to define a new era of the magazine. Adwoa was a great choice for Edward - she was of the moment but also represented a shift from the previous era of the magazine. FKA seems like a star for a couple of issues in.

Anyway, Edward’s tenure became so insufferably self-aggrandising that I’m glad he’s moved on, even if he did deliver some stellar covers in his time.

Cover fail. Composition is awful. Subject looks washed out. FKA is beautiful so this falls on the new EIC. Terribly inauspicious start.

This is a boring, unskilled abomination of a cover. Looks like a mom taking a tourist pic of her girl while in London doing the travels. She looks like she is about to sneeze. Architectural clothes never work with this lighting and usually do in the studio in the hands of a professional. This is diabolical.

LMFAO Why is anyone surprised by this Instafiller of an effort??? Isn’t this Chioma person marketed as some shy wallflower who still shops at the charity shops? Well, this lowest of standards of an effort looks like it’s the brand of aesthetic that a provincial shy wallflower who shops at the charity shop would approve of. …If you switch out the Vogue masthead with Canada’s perma-flop Fashion, none would be the wiser LOL

I was expecting a full redesign. Surprised to see Edward's font again.
It usually takes 3 to 6 months for a new editor to do a redesign once they start, so here's hoping! I also wonder if Twigs already had a cover planned under EE (and therefore this wouldn't have been Chioma's actual "first cover").

I like the dress, the colours and the church tower in the background. I've always been an admirer of sacral architecture.
However, I hate it how the "Taxi" sign clashes with the headlines down there, looks just messy.

I was flicking through the March issue in the store the other day, and thinking how the new editor (sorry, head of content) may refresh the magazine, but now I'm afraid it may turn into a Vogue France 2.0. Something that lacks personality, is forgettable and iritating.

Makes me sad watching the video because she is actually happy about the final result. In zillion years, if I was her I wouln't say "I love it!".

How do you describe this photography style? I never know, but it’s so pervasive these days and I just loathe it.
I was going to say the same thing! I also don’t know what to call the photography style but I loathe it as well. It had a place back in the 90s with those Blumarine ads or some Juergen Teller editorials but it’s just so uninspiring and plain ugly now.

No to diminish her achievements but this cover sucks. The lighting, the styling, the composition. She deserves better. We all deserve better

I love FKA Twigs and she deserves a cover, but this is not good enough. I hate how overexposed the dress is, and just makes zero sense for her to be in it on a taxi. All I can think about is how dirty it was after.

I honestly don't mind this at all. She's photogenic enough to pull it off. Only think am not feeling is the hair which was styled in a way that makes it look very thin.The editorial is not too inspiring tho mostly good for an IG feature. It would have been part of the story that's being told on the cover.

Johnny Dufort is quite spooky, like a mix of Teller and Solve. I remember his first eds for Italian Vogue. I liked them at the time, I compared him with Harmony Korine and his bizarre and scary characters. It's a surprise to see him doing the cover of British Vogue. It would have been an interesting story inside but not main. FKA should have been paired with other photographer for the cover. Years ago cover stories used to have two photographers, one for the cover and other for the ed. Uma Thurman's cover by Meisel comes to my mind, or Nicole Kidman by Patrick in 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonb199
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->