UK Vogue April 2024 : FKA Twigs by Johnny Dufort

Terrible. That dress is hideous. Idk much about her but the open mouth is not bueno.

And the cover lines are all kinds of wrong - too small, wrong colors.

I like it. especially considering that April is considered by many as a filler… however, taking in consideration that this is the debut of whoever, I think it does its job. it’s not groundbreaking, nevertheless. but that’s becoming rare.

that Loewe dress is a good fashion statement to be displayed on the cover of Vogue and the cover subject is more than suitable. I personally love her music and have seen her live a few years ago.
I had no idea she was part of ‘The Crow’ but I’m sure it’ll be talked about enough and cement her popularity too. covering British Vogue seems to be the perfect exposure.

curious about the editorial and inside content.

I like it. especially considering that April is considered by many as a filler… however, taking in consideration that this is the debut of whoever, I think it does its job. it’s not groundbreaking, nevertheless. but that’s becoming rare.

that Loewe dress is a good fashion statement to be displayed on the cover of Vogue and the cover subject is more than suitable. I personally love her music and have seen her live a few years ago.
I had no idea she was part of ‘The Crow’ but I’m sure it’ll be talked about enough and cement her popularity too. covering British Vogue seems to be the perfect exposure.

curious about the editorial and inside content.
I was about to think I'm the only one actually liking this one. Not very aware of her musical style, can't remember any melody of hers (though images from a previous video she did remains in my head). Truly liking what she does visually speaking and will never get the haters' point of view (not talking about people who dislike this cover for actual fashion-related reasons but to what some media, printed ones and others, or anonymous "hate-spreaders" online usually drop about her... Anyway will never get the point in hate/hatred at all). She's got that cute face, sleepy eyes and she crafted her public character quite brilliantly. She doesn't seems to lack wit, even she sometimes fall into the "obvious gimmick trap" like many others who enjoy their slice of stardom do and it can feel obnoxious every now and then, but even thinking of this, I still like her. And she photographs quite well too. And, even if Dufort doesn't count among my favorite photographers, I absolutely don't mind his work at all.

Then, yes. Quite curious to see the other contents as well. Even if I'm not having the highest expectations given the current standards at what used to be the bigger Vogue editions.

their advertisers clearly don't care how bad the cover is - this from fashionweekdaily.com:

Chioma Nnadi’s first issue since stepping into her role as head of editorial content British Vogue has landed, featuring cover star FKA Twigs. For the April 2024 issue, the performer is the perfect poster child to celebrate Nnadi’s distinctive view of British creativity and style, photographed in famed London locations by Johnny Dufort (in his British Vogue debut) and styled by newly-minted contributing editoror Ib Kamara. Interestingly, Condé Nast confirmed that Nnadi’s first issue has been the most commercially successful April issue in the publishing company’s history, bringing in the highest ever print revenue for the month of April.

Actually love FKA Twigs and feel she well deserves a cover - she’s very creative and talented and actually pretty interesting when it comes to fashion and her looks. And the idea of her around London is a good idea but…

The execution is poor. I feel her eyebrows should have been filled (or go silent movie star style) and her hair doesn’t look great either. The picture of her pole dancing on a lamp shows her skills and the potential of what this could have been if the photographer and styling was different. It could have been an iconic fresh shot of her posing up a storm in beautiful outdoor locations (and maybe some inside, grundgy - strippers - club contrasted with the royal opera house or a museum or something). I’m reminded of that great 1950s shot of a model walking down a tube platform in couture. They could have styled her in high fashion to contrast with her quirky looks or done a street style/bondage style (or both to show her range). Her life in looks video shows she knows fashion, she can do bondage and shibori and is an exceptional dancer with great creative ideas so why the photos have so little spark and energy…the blame is not on FKA!

The cover itself falls flat. I like the idea of her on a taxi but the lighting is too harsh, the hair/makeup not working and the dress is too pale (they could have gone bold yellow to contrast more with the taxi?).

That's probably one of the ugliest covers I've seen recently. Absolutely horrible. No previews so far seem to be redeeming it either.

If anything, I would’ve preferred the shot of her in front of the escalators as the cover. Overall, not a great example of Dufort’s or Kamara’s work at all

It's early days, I would give it a few issues, although it's easy for me to say, because I'm subscribed for the year. I don't have to think about whether the first three issues appeal to me, I'll be receiving them anyway.

Some people like to make a big splash from the start, other people like to make their influence known in a more gradual way.

I also wonder about the parameters laid down by Conde Nast - do they want a continuation of the template set down by Edward, or do they have any interest in her developing her own voice? Has money been made available for new ideas, or do more cost savings need to be found in the months ahead?

It is shameful how little magazine coverage Billie Piper has received in her home country. She has had commercial and critical success across television, stage and music plus has a career that is nearly 30 year old and projects that are always left of centre and interesting yet always seems to be a feature to stale cover stars like FKA Twigs and Priyanka Chopra Jonas

April (and october) used to have a beauty shot as a cover because it was all about make up and hair trends. Never thought as a filler editions

^ didn’t October use to be Couture? @ivano

Last edited by a moderator:
^ didn’t October used to be Couture? @ivano
Not living in the UK, hahaha. Magazines in Argentina always have their beauty specials after the fashion issue. I don't know if the rules apply worldwide. You must be right!

(RIP Flare)

Flare could have been saved— and even successfully thriving. It was simply one bad careless decision after another; one bad careless hire after another; one bad careless rebranding after another etc etc from Rogers’ team that wanted to place Joe Fresh on every cover and in every event. It’s the same plague that infested Toronto Fashion Week. As usual with whatever’s left of the fashion industry in Canada, it’s always been the mediocre leading the pedestrian; from Fashion Magazine, to Holt Renfrew, to Harry Rosen. And it needn’t be this way…But mediocre birds of a feather flock together— and all that.

Do not expect anything remotely even on the level of the best of Edward-- let alone some new era of high fashion presentation, with her. It’s going to be maybe a tad more premium than France/Italia, only because all the celebs will debut here before being reprinted with the lesser Vogues, with Edward having established that UK is the alpha of all the Western Vogues.

give tahliah some damn eyebrows! she needs eyebrows because she looks like a strung out 90s east london raver and i don't like it. the stripper move on the traffic sign... why? i can think of at least fiver better ways that could've been styled or captured to highlight her awesome (no shade, she's really great and graceful pole dancer) skills on the pole. this is some low grade street photography. ugh. and the studio shots with the dancers could've been improved - so many missed opportunities for a dramatic avante garde/abstract artistic take wither dufort doesn't have the skill level to achieve or the knowledge to lean into. he didn't do a good job with this.

they should've been glam transition into spring goth all the way if they wanted to something fashion forward. this is a blip of start for a new tenure and i hope next month brings something better. (but who am i kidding?)

i'm glad twigs got a vogue uk cover, not glad about the execution. seeing chioma's style on her instagram, i'm not surprised it came out like this, but surprised ib kamara styled twigs like this. he can do better. much better.

wake up, y;all. it's a new day, start acting like it.

My issue came in the post yesterday. I had a brief flick through and then put it down. Bella has a story inside, which I remember quite liking (although it’s nothing groundbreaking), and I can’t remember much else beyond that. If I have chance to do a proper review later I will do, but it felt very much like business as usual.

I was hoping for something new right away, but I’m also willing to give it a few months. I’m subscribed til the end of the year anyway, so plenty of time for me to see if it’s worth sticking with it beyond that.

I see someone on eBay selling a copy has posted the cover and two of the contents pages, seems to be at least 264 pages, also mentions Lila Moss by Daniel Jackson.

Oh yes, Lila is in there. That was quite nice too from what I remember, I think it was a nature setting - like an English garden or meadow or something. I just don’t find Lila very compelling as a model, it probably would’ve jumped out more with somebody else.

I still think the success is fake, its like here in Brazil, they print 50.000 copies and said that is a hit, when the reality is that is just the printing copies not sold ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonb199
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->