US Harper’s Bazaar December 2020/January 2021 : Vanessa Kirby by Scott Trindle

Vanessa's ed looks great actually. Really enjoying Saskia as well. I dont want to say this issue is a slight improvement from the last, but this is great.

^^^ It’s rather revealing of the dire state of these American mainstream publications that the page count has dwindled by so much. Where once the end-of-year issues have been steady at the 250+ page count, it’s been cut to half in 2020. The Nov issues of Vogue China has a page count of 254, while GQ China is at 242pg. Even Taiwan’s Bazaar with its reprint coverstory is at 174pg.

For American Bazaar to be so few pages for a Dec/Jan issue, it’s gasping for air at this point. Doesn’t help that Samira’s content is so catalogue/newspaper supplement in its aesthetic. I do appreciate that the art direction is tastefully executed— unlike the juvenile mess of Glenda’s, and that she’s showcasing women— even older women and not kidz, unlike Anna’s desperate begging from tweens these days. But Samira’s got to go beyond pedestrian, midrange department-store weekly-flyer sensibility (that cover is so generic, so weekly-flyer looking...) and bring some life and joy into her content. iIt’s so dreadfully dull and with imagery that is as memorable as ones from pages an IKEA catalogue.

I actually liked Samira's first issue of Bazaar, the magazine is much more tasteful now and there are more articles and its more thoughtful. I see that she's going for the more subdued approach in her fashion, but I agree that she needs more "oomphs" for her visual. I'm still excited to see her full vision in coming March though. Hope it doesn't disappoint

Well vanessa have a long neck...i guess Samira needs a little more support on the cover making...it lacks something. The contents are ok, specially the Saskia editorial, she looks amazing. And the cover story as well.

Now its the time to complete a rooster of strong photographers and stylist that help her define her HB. Specially now that Vogue are not using a lot of them. So a good healthy balanced mix with stablished and newcomer guard. And forget about the Vivanco’s and etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ00
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->