US Vogue May 2024 : Zendaya by Annie Leibovitz

i know valentino is boring
i know vogue under anan is boring
i know her face is boring without any modeling potential
so why do we stil support this publicaition these days...cant fashion busienss be run without boring stuff...?

Anna Wintour on how 2024 Met Gala breaks her ‘cardinal rule’​

Law has an interview with The Cutting Room Floor where he says Anna asked who he wanted to shoot Zendaya for the cover and he chose Annie.

Here's a larger snippet from the interview between and Recho Omondi and Law Roach:

Wow! I'm not one to defend Leibovitz and her terrible post production these days, but the flippant way that interviewer dismisses Annie's work with black women as "horrifying" is quite shocking. I wonder how Simone Biles, Viola Davis and Lupita Nyong'o feel about their portraits being called "horrifying" by the internet? She even implied that Zendaya's shoot was terrible, was she expecting Law to join her in criticising his celebrity client's latest Vogue cover which I'm sure she's probably happy with?

I get that Leibovitz's use of blue and green tinted filters isn't for everyone and I'm all for critiquing fashion photography and its techniques and aesthetics, we do it here on tFS all the time, but this Gen Z notion that Leibovitz should not be 'allowed' to shoot black subjects denies the subjects any kind of agency, and ignores her decades long career of shooting legendary black subjects across a range of fields. Ella Fitzgerald, Michael Jordan, Venus and Serena Williams, Mary J Blige, Jessye Norman etc etc. I guess these people should not have trusted her and the powers that be (and the internet, had it existed) should not have 'allowed' her to photograph them.

Also, the notion that "AnNie LEiBOVItZ dOESN't KnOW hOw To phOtOgRaph bLAcK WomEn" is completely subjective. Where one person sees the work as "horrifying", another will see it as beautiful. That's the beauty of art.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenanova
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->