Vintage Clutch Bags

Originally posted by Purr@May 28th, 2004 - 6:18 am
out of curisity, what is the price i should expect to pay for a vintage clutch bag? how much do you consider is "too much"?
depends really... I'm a college student which is basically saying I'm broke. So I go by instinct. if a purse is absolutely fabulous, I will spend whatever it takes. but if its eh, but its cute and cheap, I'd get it anyway.

btw, I havent spent more than about 50 bucks...

well yeah, but that's not a clutch, I have too many bags :blush: :unsure:

Originally posted by oceanharlot+May 28th, 2004 - 7:30 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (oceanharlot @ May 28th, 2004 - 7:30 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Purr@May 28th, 2004 - 6:18 am
out of curisity, what is the price i should expect to pay for a vintage clutch bag? how much do you consider is "too much"?
depends really... I'm a college student which is basically saying I'm broke. So I go by instinct. if a purse is absolutely fabulous, I will spend whatever it takes. but if its eh, but its cute and cheap, I'd get it anyway.

btw, I havent spent more than about 50 bucks... [/b][/quote]
thanks!

lately i have been spotting lots of GORGEOUS vintage clutches on ebay... but most of them get so many bids, they end up going for $20 plus shipping (I am on the other side of the ocean so the total price would be $40-50 for me). people go like crazy when the keyword "SATC" is part of the item's title or description. do you have a fugly clutch sitting at home? go to ebay and put it up for aution as a "vintage clutch like carrie's. so SATC", and you will get 3 times as much as you would normally :innocent:

on the other hand, i have found very cheap vintage bags offline, i guess the internet isn't the best place to buy them. i get frustrated because vintage anything is always hard to find, and the cutest ones seem to appear on ebay more often than inmy local thrift store...

Chic black silk handbag.

WAP770.jpg

I really need to get some pictures up of my collection, if I do say so myself it's pretty darn good:smile: You all have some lovely pieces too:smile:

I have some other small purses but since they have little straps they don't qualify as 'clutches.' You can see them in the 'Thrift Scores' thread.

Here are the two vintage clutches I have. One has been reworked (the one with the studs) and is from Junction in DC and the other I picked up randomly from a vintage shop in Camden Passageway.

Attachments

• DSCN6304.jpg
    DSCN6304.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN6305.jpg
    DSCN6305.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN6303.jpg
    DSCN6303.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 4
^ Yes I've seen them everywhere, US and Europe they must be made by some large company/factory. Unfortunately for me I really needed a small clutch and bought it in London for a ridiculous amount of $. Still I love the eggplant color.

I picked up this little purse. I consider it more 'clutch' like just because I hardly consider the drawstrings on it a 'strap'. Its black velvet and a leater and gold leaf/gilt design on the bottom and the tassels are gold leafed/painted as well. Its vintage but as to exact dates, countries I don't know I got different answers from different vendors. Its way cute, (I like Art Deco, 1930s) and the vendor nearly had me crying when she told me she had the exact same purse but in bright RED, but she sold it!!! Ugh, just imagining that kills me.

It sort of reminds me of the Fendi bucket shaped purses with gold designs.

Attachments

• DSCN6337.jpg
    DSCN6337.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN6335.jpg
    DSCN6335.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
^ I know!! Im really interested in these little bags and what's their story; I think they are 'souvenir' bags from Egypt maybe?? They must have been used as inspiration.

I don't use clutches so often, so I never buy any, but I have got quite a few nice ones from the surplus stock of my grandmother's shop - she sold gowns, bags and other nice stuff and her shop was opened in 1936 and closed in 1971.
The materials are lizard, snakeskin and silk/pearls.

Attachments

• Billede(110).jpg
    Billede(110).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Billede(111).jpg
    Billede(111).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Billede(144).jpg
    Billede(144).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Billede(463).jpg
    Billede(463).jpg