What to wear when you're slumming

As You Like It

Proponent of Plaid
Reaction score
We all like to dress nicely, or why else would we be hanging around a fashion board? However, I for one, know it isn't always practical to wear your best clothes everywhere! So, what do you wear when you're slumming it?

Say you have a bunch of yard work to do. Maybe you have to give your dog a bath. You're painting your bedroom a new color. You're going fishing with your uncle Eddie and you know you'll be up to your elbows in trout-guts by dinnertime. You are taking care of an infant in the "barfing, pooping, and drooling" stage and cannot stay free of effluvia.

What do you wear when you know there is no hope of staying tidy?

I scrub out on the weekends all the time. I only dress up if we're going out with friends, or if I have errands to run that don't involve the hardware store or lumberyard. Mostly, I wear sweatshirts or old, faded, stained tee-shirts or old flannel shirts. On the bottom, it will be old jeans, or other old pants that have gotten too frayed and faded to wear in public anymore. Then, they end up aquiring character in the form of grass stains, ground in garage grease, paint-stains, bleach splats, glue patches, ect. In the summer I may swap these out for shorts of a similar character. I often wear a bandanna on my head, to keep dirt and/or paint out of my hair, but if I can't find a bandanna, I have been known to tie a grocery sack(plastic) or a dishtowel around my head. I have a very, very old pair of Dr. Marten's oxfords that have finally surpassed their dailywear duties and have been downgraded to home-wear, and they have a great deal of paint on them, the soles are coming away at the toes and the heel part is cracking away from the arch of the sole. The insoles went to meet their maker ages ago. I also have a pair of knockoff, fake Keds from Walmart that I bought to wear to the lake with a friend of mine a few years ago, and these suffice for at-home shoes, too. I frequently use them as house-slippers.

Today, the look is a pair of extremely paint-stained, faded, frayed black corduroy bellbottoms :sick: and a pink sports bra with a good deal of yellow paint on the front. Barefoot, with a large, white dishtowel on my head. I will resume painting my kitchen cabinets very, very soon.

My old red soccer shirt from grade six is a favourite of mine. It's totally covered in paint stains...Also, a pair of "white" pants that I spilled black ink down the front of. Perfect for printing classes. Oh, and my white running shoes that have orange acid stains on them. Come to think of it, most of my everyday clothing has paint, among other things, on it... :innocent:

Great topic, As You Like It. You frequently are so practical, which I admire very much. Actually, this is a problem for me. I don't really have grubbies, I suppose because I so rarely do grubby things. I'm not handy at all and if I really needed to get paint on something, I'd have to go buy something I wouldn't mind wrecking. How mortifying to have to say that! :blush: :blush: :blush:

i love to help my family garden when i'm at home, and i definitely have grubbies for that: a pair of running shoes i've had since sixth grade, old cut-off denim shorts, and my mom's ancient hand-me-down tank tops or a bathing suit. i also have a pair of blue shorts from kids gap that i've had for years and years and years and i frequently wear those in the summer for quick runs to the grocery store or to clean out the garage or whatever. and i have a bazillion old threadbare t-shirts that i don't want to throw away (i'm a horder) so i wear them when i'm doing dirty stuff around the house--rescuing the basement from a flood, for example. when they literally fall apart i use them as rags. :smile:

lol @ as u like it!! :lol:
i thought you leant getting dirty as in ... *ehem* *cough* well "gettin dirty" :lol:

when i know im gonna get dirty.. i just wear a pair of cargos and trainers...
nothing special... :unsure:

I read the topic "What Are You Wearing Today" in awe everyday. I wish I had somewhere to go so I could dress like that too. (When I go to NY with Ali, I wear basic black so I can blend in.

Then As You Like It comes up with a topic that fits my lifestyle to a T. Five days a week I wear navy or Khaki uniform pants with a Polo style red,white or navy shirt(with a deer on it for Deer Creek Academy) It's pretty well a given that some form of dirt, paint, glue, juice or worse is going to end up adorning my outfit like a bad accessory.

On the weekends if by chance we venture out,I revert back to the basic black. :huh: Maybe I should talk to Oprah about a makeover

when i'm painting i have to wear scrubby stuff, as oil can't be washed out :ninja:
so i just wear my old volleyball sweatpants and a loose tshirt

Call me a prima donna but I cannot stand to be dirty!! I think it is part of my mild OCD. Anyway-I do have grubby clothes for cleaning the house-old, paint stained sweats, a college t shirt, a soccer t shirt that says "Mitre Has Balls" that is so thin you can practically see through it!

I rarely get dirty but if I have to then: Any old tshirts and jeans

if it's inside the house, I normally do whatever I need to do in underwear, and a tank sometimes :innocent:

Old jeans or a pair of old long shorts.. and I have a few large, large tshirts from back in my tomgirl days where everything had to be big. They're painted, holed, etc, and ohsocomfy. In art class I have an oversized purple tie died shirt with holes in it to put over me. With jeans, it sometimes looks more stylish than what I wore to school :woot:

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Apr 7th, 2004 - 10:29 am
Come to think of it, most of my everyday clothing has paint, among other things, on it... :innocent:
Me, too. :D I love that, actually. My favorite pants (which somehow disappeared last fall) had paint all over them in lot of colors. I lurrrved them. I guess I'll have to 'make' some more. At least I have an excuse to paint some more!

I also wear my dad's tshirts with some sweats or jeans when I need to get dirty (like for yard work). They're not exactly fashionable, but it beats getting nicer things messy.

Originally posted by eloes+Apr 11th, 2004 - 5:32 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eloes @ Apr 11th, 2004 - 5:32 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-purplelucrezia@Apr 7th, 2004 - 10:29 am
Come to think of it, most of my everyday clothing has paint, among other things, on it... :innocent:
Me, too. :D I love that, actually. My favorite pants (which somehow disappeared last fall) had paint all over them in lot of colors. I lurrrved them. I guess I'll have to 'make' some more. At least I have an excuse to paint some more!
[/b][/quote]
Are you a fellow art major? :woot: I think I am beginning to like you more and more...

Originally posted by purplelucrezia+Apr 11th, 2004 - 5:33 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(purplelucrezia @ Apr 11th, 2004 - 5:33 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by eloes@Apr 11th, 2004 - 5:32 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-purplelucrezia
@Apr 7th, 2004 - 10:29 am

Are you a fellow art major? :woot: I think I am beginning to like you more and more...[/b][/quote]
I'm not an art major (high school sophomore :wink: ), but I am going to RISD this summer for the camp thing. I'm soooo excited. I love to paint :wub:, but I'm taking the drawing course to reeeally focus on the basics for a while. I always want to get ahead of myself. Besides, drawing is fun, too.

I also lurrrve art history. In fact, I'm putting off my ap art history homework to be here. :wink:

As to the art major thing? I wish! I visited RISD, though, and...all of my time devoted to art?! HEAVEN! Plus there was no abercrombie in sight. :D I hope to develop my skills enough for some sort of art major to be possible, but I have no idea what I really want to do yet. Maybe art should stay a hobby? I don't know.

Ahhh, college thoughts! Get out of my head! No idea what I want to do yet, as I said.

Originally posted by eloes+Apr 11th, 2004 - 7:35 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eloes @ Apr 11th, 2004 - 7:35 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Apr 11th, 2004 - 5:33 pm
Originally posted by eloes@Apr 11th, 2004 - 5:32 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-purplelucrezia
@Apr 7th, 2004 - 10:29 am

Are you a fellow art major? :woot: I think I am beginning to like you more and more...
I'm not an art major (high school sophomore :wink: ), but I am going to RISD this summer for the camp thing. I'm soooo excited. I love to paint :wub:, but I'm taking the drawing course to reeeally focus on the basics for a while. I always want to get ahead of myself. Besides, drawing is fun, too.

I also lurrrve art history. In fact, I'm putting off my ap art history homework to be here. :wink:

As to the art major thing? I wish! I visited RISD, though, and...all of my time devoted to art?! HEAVEN! Plus there was no abercrombie in sight. :D I hope to develop my skills enough for some sort of art major to be possible, but I have no idea what I really want to do yet. Maybe art should stay a hobby? I don't know.

Ahhh, college thoughts! Get out of my head! No idea what I want to do yet, as I said. [/b][/quote]
Okay- I am honestly beginning to be scared now. :ninja:
I think you have stolen my identity...That response could nearly have been written by me. Clones!
:alien:

I use grubby stuff for 2 things...house or art...

I plant flowers so my porch has character and clean every so often so make sure I don't pile on junk everyyear....

Also I do art, I take art as one of my classes in highschool, so sometimes I take my art home to finish..sometimes just for fun on a boring summer day.

For those I like a old shirt and some nice overalls because you can move in them and the pockets...

I can stuff my art pencils and gummy erasers, paintbrush, etc...and just be able to pull it out

or

hook my windex bottle to the pocket and a roll of papertowels, and a duster and I am set for cleaning...

Lately I haven't been doing either...
my room is a mess, my art is neglected :ninja:

I have a favorite pair of Chefwear pants (pastry chef print) that are so soft now :heart: They really wear like iron. I wear them around the house & they do have paint on them, but you can't see it because of the wild print :lol: Sometimes I wear them to the grocery store, which I feel is appropriate :innocent:

If I'm just staying home to do chores I don't bother dressing up, I tie my hair back in a sloppy bun and I'm usually in one of my bf's old tshirts and my own sweatpants that have my school's name put on the back. Or my Victoria's Secret grey sweatpants. Just some comfy, baggy, clothes :smile:

The second I get home, I take off my "going out" clothes and hop into my comfy "home clothes". Usually black legging capris and a white shirt. Not horrible, but not fashionable either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YourGalSylvia
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->