Your City's Style?

I live in Singapore and sad to say, the style here are so blah compared to Japan, Hongkong, and many parts of the world.
Wear something different(perhaps long socks or boots), people will look at you as if u've got 3 eyes.

In Singapore, most people wear tees and jeans only. No blazor or whatever similar. Perhaps minority will.
I guess people here are not expressive and daring enough.

Seems like most people just focus on the bad rather than try to in any way appreciate the goods...... People need to stop dising their own city!

If your 'people' refers to me, well, i'm just stating my own point of view because im not the only one feeling the same way...(at least there's discussions going on on how nice/weird/not nice/whatever) the people's dress sense are.

my town

having lived in many places - from cape town to manhattan - i have lived for the past fifteen years in northern new mexico (taos) where fashion just isn't an issue. one needs to rethink what one wears and dress for the elements and the terrain. out here, boho is the norm but a few of us maintain a more disciplined sensibility re/the way we get dressed nonethless. shoes are the starting point here in the mountains - dirt roads turn to mud when the snow melts and anything less than a boot just doesn't cut it. one begins to think 'country' and aquires clothing that works with solid footwear except for the occasional soiree at someone's home and/or a dinner at one of our great restuarants. i saw julia roberts and her family strolling around town a couple of weeks ago and noone looked twice. she looked just like the rest of us. hair pulled back into a pony tail, good, black wool coat over jeans and trainers. no make up. my daily uniform consists of jeans (everything from levis to joes) t shirts, cashmere or wool sweaters, fur vest and denim, leather or shearling jackets and coats depending on the weather, and of course, the aforementioned boots. i have accumulated quite a collection over the years, from cowboy to biker w/everything inbetween. no uggs! lot's of young women tucking jeans in atm, but i do not, being of a 'certain' age and eshewing all trends at this point. kids here look pretty much like kids everywhere - i lament the lack of individuality daily! funnily enough, whenever i travel to LA, NY or abroad, i suppose because i have spent time in other places, what i pack works and i never feel the need to run into the nearest boutique and replace my entire wardrobe. i do however have favourite places to shop around the globe. fashion is a fickle mistress but stylish people can be found everywhere if one looks closely. even here, in fashion siberia!

Last edited by a moderator:
I come from the same city as VintageDolly, and seriously, she ain't exaggerrating. People mostly wear some kind of uniform, which is jeans and tees and attribute the inertia to dress up to the insanely hot weather (when everyone's playing with layers and coats and boots, we're sweltering at a good 28 degrees celsius!).

However.. if you do take a look beyond the majority of the jeans and tee population, there are people who dress special.. I see girls who are wearing parachute knickers over tights and cute little shoes with lace stockings and wondrously hideous accessories which somehow still look quite good with their outfits.. But sad to say, we're still mostly adopting styles from elsewhere.. japanese streetstyle, hongkong streetstyle, etc etc..

We really need our own style!!!

I live in Scarborough ( A sub-urb of Toronto ) and I've pretty much figured out the uniform.
Top : Puffy jacket (Either Northface or Babyphat) with the fur-hood.
Pants: Either baggy sweatpants or /tight/ skank jeans.
Footwear: Sneakers, either G-Unit, Babyphat, Adidas,-- or occasionally, Uggs.
Jewlerry: Oversized hoop earrings.
Hair: Tight pulled back ponytail
Shops at : Sirens, Athlete's World.

HA! My city? It's not even a city. There is no style. Half the people around here are bucktoothed. If I meet someone who's heard of Galliano, I want to kiss them.

northfaces
uggs..yeah, i know. although, i dont really think they're all THAT bad

and the boho look seems to still be in full swing at my school, even in the dead of winter... :angry: i hate the metallicy weaved belts

i live in WA..so i think thats enough said. :blush:

on the bright side, we have some GREAT vintage shops in Seattle!

Glasgow, UK:
I've been looking through the other Street Style threads and I came across the 'Scene' style, well a very large proportion of the 'youth' dress like that here. Mostly because we have Glasgow School of Art and this is the uniform of those students, but also the music scene is huge here with bands like Belle & Sebastian, Franz Ferdinand and Mogwai all influencing how people dress. I'd say overall, the 80's is alive and kicking in Glasgow.
The flipside of the coin is the boho trend - this is the uniform of the population who catch trends from the High Street rather than the runway/fashion mags (and usually know little or nothing about fashion, and don't care to either), so lots of cheap cowboy boots, teired skirts in pink or blue combined with short down parkas for winter (it's very wet and very cold here) - overall a truly horrific look! To be honest it's probably the same as anywhere else in the UK.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Jeans are huge here, but if you're in your 20's-40's they're designer...citizens, sevens, earnest sewn, rock and republic, page, paper denim and cloth, etc.
I have noticed lots of vests, worn with tank tops out at the (cooler) clubs
Uggs are still big, but any boot over jeans are trendy right now too
snowboarder chic is in every winter....
lots of ladies wearing cute little tweed pea coats
but for the most part its a pretty corporate city and the 9-5ers are all wearing tame yet trendy stuff that you would see in any Canadian city

northfaces
uggs..yeah, i know. although, i dont really think they're all THAT bad

and the boho look seems to still be in full swing at my school, even in the dead of winter... :angry: i hate the metallicy weaved belts

i live in WA..so i think thats enough said. :blush:

on the bright side, we have some GREAT vintage shops in Seattle!
Yup,I was raised in WA, and that's the look i see whenver i visit.

Right now I'm doing college in Winnipeg, Canada, and its pretty much college town fashion in my university

a trend u only see in ma country

im my country there is an item ladies wear with such fashion..its a balck cloth with designs and stones and colored ribbons ,this cloth which is tailored as an open dress is worn on top of the clothes to cover everything...ill try to get more pics for everyone to see this pic is what i have for now..

what about ur country?what unique trend u have there?

Attachments

• Stone-scar abaya.jpg
    Stone-scar abaya.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2
indie said:
In finland when itcomes to teens, I must mention palestinian(sp?) scarfes. So much kids wearing them.

that totally strange lol...but kewl i like to wear stuff that resembles other countries and cultures..what u guys tink?:heart: :flower:

pattismith said:
HA! My city? It's not even a city. There is no style. Half the people around here are bucktoothed. If I meet someone who's heard of Galliano, I want to kiss them.

I live an hour from the NYC... and its like a desolate hick-town. I totally understand...

San Francisco, CA:
drab, uninspired, label whores, eurotrashy, unoriginal, fashion faux pas ridden, girls still wear Uggs, investment bankers wearing track jackets out to dinner and still think its cool, people do not care what they look like or else they would not leave their houses the way they do, hideous, unbearable, a fashion hell, disgusting and dirty hippies, homeless chic, and even worse, hipper than thou hipsters who wouldnt have any idea how to dress if hedi slimane didnt tell them how to do so and/or if H&M hadnt opened... I see people hitting that place here harder than a crackhead hits his favorite crack pipe... I left williamsburg because I was so sickened by the "scene" only to move to a city filled with "scenesters" who can't even pull off the look... its a joke...

:ninja:

sleazie ninja said:
San Francisco, CA:
drab, uninspired, label whores, eurotrashy, unoriginal, fashion faux pas ridden, girls still wear Uggs, investment bankers wearing track jackets out to dinner and still think its cool, people do not care what they look like or else they would not leave their houses the way they do, hideous, unbearable, a fashion hell, disgusting and dirty hippies, homeless chic, and even worse, hipper than thou hipsters who wouldnt have any idea how to dress if hedi slimane didnt tell them how to do so and/or if H&M hadnt opened... I see people hitting that place here harder than a crackhead hits his favorite crack pipe... I left williamsburg because I was so sickened by the "scene" only to move to a city filled with "scenesters" who can't even pull off the look... its a joke...

:ninja:

I love your intensity... Move to NYC (just stay inside during the holidays. You'll hate the tourists..)

I live in Southern Cali. It's either surfer, ghetto, or goth. I'm getting sick of people wearing XXXL shirts. So annoying. I wish people here would actually wear something that fits them.

Washington, DC is pretty conservative in dress, being as that most people either work with the government or for them. Plus we have some of the largest law firms in the Nation here, so again, more conservative dress.

You dont see too much fashion, or trendiness in this area sadly.

But its certainly better than where I came from, where there is no fashion at all. Just frat guys wearing socks with those rubber Addidas flip flops adn thinking they look good.:sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sruggirello
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->