Alessandra Facchinetti - Launches Own Fashion Brand

How hard is it to learn French? It really isnt that hard for English Spanish or Italian speakers. Theres no excuse when these languages share an alphabet. Its not like Cyrillic or Kanji.

I know some Italian purely through osmosis. How can someone working in Paris for a French brand not know any French?

Only 16% of Italians speak French.....Is that really a big matter? Tranquillo.....

How hard is it to learn French? It really isnt that hard for English Spanish or Italian speakers. Theres no excuse when these languages share an alphabet. Its not like Cyrillic or Kanji.

I know some Italian purely through osmosis. How can someone working in Paris for a French brand not know any French?
For italians learning french is very easy because Its thé same family of languages, but for english people learning french is a real struggle and it almost never happens.
English speaking won’t learn French unless absolutely obliged to.
Keep in mind that in fashion houses in france you only speak french if there’s a french CD in the studio, and in that case if you’re not fluent in french your chance to get hired are slimmer.
That said in French houses the ateliers will speak French so if you want to communicate directly with pattern makers to give directions you will definitely be more efficient if you speak French, but many designer don’t care to build a close relationship with ateliers unfortunately.
And that’s how you end up with all these non French speakers in French houses!

I've only ever lived in Commonwealth nations or former British colonies. Learning French is absolutely illegal for me.

Do people from the industry read this place? Because we are the only people who even care.
Obviously, people in the Italian fashion scene cares because she has made her career there. And it was on WWD, which is read mostly by people in the industry.
I think if you work at a french fashion house - one would need to speak fluent french. At least the upper level staff. That should be a law.

Anyway back on topic. Watch Alessandra actually build the next Hermes.

I think people confused Frida for Alessandra. Also Frida has made timeless bags and shoes that are still produced tiday.

00010f.jpg

00090f.jpg

Vogue

I remember her Gucci received a luke warm reception.
Frida has made great bags and shoes… But I wonder which accessories she designed are still produced?
Because she redesigned the accessories line in the early 2010’s to something more streamlined, more in tune with the minimalist trend but then they changed the whole thing when Michele became CD.

Yes, Alessandra’s work had a lukewarm reception but tbh, when looking at her collection, you can see why Tom’s clothes became so complicated and over detailed, particularly with his last Gucci collection. Just too much!

John Ray however in the menswear did a fabulous job IMO.
Ok they need to get the memo on Marc at Chanel. Nobody else can do Iconography and Iconoclasm like MJ.
It will probably never happen.
Karl was different. He was at Fendi before LVMH, it was at Chanel when it was a smaller company (Dior was bigger than Chanel at the time) and even when he did Chloe under what became Richemont, the scale were different.

I think that if Marc wanted a new challenge, Arnault would have make it happen for him. I don’t know if the rumors of 10M a year he asked to do Dior 10 years ago were true though.

Regarding the speaking French conversation, in reality, it eases a lot of things, particularly the interaction between the designer and the Atelier. When you are more of a creative director, you have in-between people and assistants who speaks french anyway but it’s always good to speak french.
Alber Elbaz spoke french, Galliano tried to speak some french, Tom Ford too and some others.

Tbh, living in Paris, working in Paris and not speak some sort of French would be literally a pain. We saw it with Raf Simons in the Dior documentary. Pieter was able to create a bond and a smoother interaction with the Atelier when Raf looked isolated.

Props to you!
Thanks! Orthography is a b*tch though. It's at the point where most university teachers stopped grading it because even the native speakers never master it.
Obviously, people in the Italian fashion scene cares because she has made her career there. And it was on WWD, which is read mostly by people in the industry.

Frida has made great bags and shoes… But I wonder which accessories she designed are still produced?
Because she redesigned the accessories line in the early 2010’s to something more streamlined, more in tune with the minimalist trend but then they changed the whole thing when Michele became CD.

Yes, Alessandra’s work had a lukewarm reception but tbh, when looking at her collection, you can see why Tom’s clothes became so complicated and over detailed, particularly with his last Gucci collection. Just too much!

John Ray however in the menswear did a fabulous job IMO.
I think that the point of late 00s/early 10s Gucci was to be a slightly boring, but commercially strong and stable buffer after Tom Ford. Giannini executed that very well.
It will probably never happen.
Karl was different. He was at Fendi before LVMH, it was at Chanel when it was a smaller company (Dior was bigger than Chanel at the time) and even when he did Chloe under what became Richemont, the scale were different.

I think that if Marc wanted a new challenge, Arnault would have make it happen for him. I don’t know if the rumors of 10M a year he asked to do Dior 10 years ago were true though.
Personally, I'd rather Arnault give Jacobs the opportunity to bring back the luxury side of his eponymous label. Otherwise, it would be interesting to see him f*ck around with Fendi or Givenchy.
Regarding the speaking French conversation, in reality, it eases a lot of things, particularly the interaction between the designer and the Atelier. When you are more of a creative director, you have in-between people and assistants who speaks french anyway but it’s always good to speak french.
Alber Elbaz spoke french, Galliano tried to speak some french, Tom Ford too and some others.

Tbh, living in Paris, working in Paris and not speak some sort of French would be literally a pain. We saw it with Raf Simons in the Dior documentary. Pieter was able to create a bond and a smoother interaction with the Atelier when Raf looked isolated.
Mulier really carried Raf through Dior. He's Belgian, but from the French side like Theyskens and Vaccarello Vaccarello. Maybe it was that relationship that awoke his willingness to head Alaïa.

I remember her collections for Moncler Gamme Rouge were really good - lots of sculptural shapes. it's tough to find any pictures though - firstview only goes back to 2008 which is when Giambattista Valli was brought on.

1698459543213.jpeg

1698459553642.png

1698459568048.jpeg

1698459583195.jpeg

A Moncler Blogger has some looks retained.

That actually wasn't bad! Moncler was one of the handful of brand collabs that actually made sense to me, they embraced the high fashion of it all.

There is an insane egg-shaped coat that she did that is burned into my brain, sadly no pics to be found... :sadbutrelieved:

^ k but my mind is still blown that you're back and for Facchinetti (of all designers lol). :holdingbacktears:

I wonder if she’s going to work with Frida G.?
That would be major

I checked the pics of the collab between Moncler and Giambattista Valli...OMG!! They were so good to the point I am wondering who is the guy nowadays claims to be Giambattista Valli; and where is the real one??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katerinadimitriou
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->