Fashion (Bollywood Movie)

indian_rose

Reaction score
Not sure, if there are many bollywood fans on here:innocent:, but a new movie titled 'Fashion' starring Priyanka Chopra, Kangana Ranaut and aload of others is set to release on the 29th Oct 2008........

Movie Preview : Fashion

Movie Preview : Fashion

fashion.jpg

After impressing the critics and audiences with his hard-hitting subjects like CHANDNI BAR, PAGE 3, SATTA and TRAFFIC SIGNAL the 3 time National award winner director Madhur Bhandarkar is back with a vengeance with the film FASHION, which depicts the dark and positive side of fashion industry.

This is Madhur's most expensive film till date which stars Priyanka Chopra, Kangana Ranaut, Mughda Godse, Arjan Bajwa, and Harsh Chhaya primarily. Apart from them a horde of other B-towners will be seen in cameos namely - Konkona Sen Sharma, Ranvir Shorey, Arbaaz Khan, Neil Nitin Mukesh, Karan Johar, Prahlad Kakkar, Daboo Ratnani, designers Wendell Rodricks & Manish Malhotra and last but not the least of all Madhur himself will be seen in a small cameo.

This time Bhandarkar changes his loyalties from his favorite Shamir Tandon (music director of TRAFFIC SIGNAL, CORPORATE, PAGE 3) and tries out with aspiring Salim-Sulaiman for the needful in the musical section. The lyrics are penned by Sandeep Nath and Irfan Siddique.

A co-production of UTV Motion Pictures and Bhandarkar Entertainment, FASHION is all set to arrive in the month of October.

Synopsis:

The journey of the rise and fall and phoenix like re-birth of India's number one Supermodel.

Set against the glittering backdrop of the glamorous but ruthless world of haute couture FASHION, this tells the story of one small town girl with a dream and the determination to make it a reality.

Meghna Mathur knew in her bones that she was meant to be famous. Ever ambitious and bright with stars in her eyes, even as a girl with conservative parents from a small north Indian town - she dared to dream of bright lights and the big city..

The world of FASHION - the clothes, the colors, the make-up.. all of these form a part of a fascinating world that Meghna longed to be a part of.

Meghna never wanted to compromise on anything on her journey to success - as she puts it - whoever said intelligent women couldn't be glamorous?

She reaches the peak of her success and rises to walk the ramps for leading designers across India.

The FASHION world lies at her feet - the parties, the brand endorsements, the photographers, the models, the romance and of course - the shows, the shows, the shows!

However karma catches up with Meghna as she slowly starts to pay the price for her fame and her journey to the top.

Her attempt at a comeback was going to be a near impossibility..

However she was never a woman to turn away from a challenge..

FASHION explores the world of style through the emotional personal journeys of the key people that make the industry - the dream-weavers of that elaborate world of glamour: the models, designers, photographers, businessmen, agencies etc.

In the world of image - makers - is it possible to conquer it and remain true to yourself?

glamsham.com

Article: Kangana's character is based on Gitanjali Nagpal

Kangana's character is based on Gitanjali Nagpal.

2vijdc4.jpg

Former model Gitanjali Nagpal worked as a maid, spent her nights with men for money to quell her craving for drugs and was in the end reduced to a life on the footpath (PTI Photo)

NEW DELHI: In the '90s, Gitanjali Nagpal sashayed down the catwalks of Delhi with the likes of Sushmita Sen. A Navy officer's daughter who went to Lady Shri Ram College, she seemed set for a flashbulb career in fashion.

On Sunday, they found her living off the streets and spending her nights in parks and temples. And by Monday, she was being hounded by TV cameramen, reporters and do-gooders. Gitanjali's sad story had just taken yet another weird turn.

It's a horrifying story of the dark side of glamour: how one false move can send a promising career to a downward spiral of drugs and self-destruction. By her own admission, the ex-Mount Carmel student worked as a maid, spent her nights with men for money to quell her craving for drugs and alcohol and was in the end reduced to a life on the footpath.

Gitanjali's estranged husband lives in Germany with her child. And, touchingly, he still waits for her. When Metro Now , TOI's sister newspaper, first spotted her in South Delhi's Hauz Khas village and started taking her photographs, Gitanjali slid the T-shirt down her shoulders like a seasoned model and posed in style. She promised to model even better for a reward: a swim in a five-star hotel.

But after the story was published on Monday, Gitanjali was back among the flashbulbs. In an ironical twist, she was chased by TV reporters, shepherded by Delhi Commission for Women and taken in a Qualis first to a police station and then to Vimhans, a hospital that deals with mental health.

Gitanjali, still striking with her matted dreadlocks and wearing a black corsette and long skirt that seemed to have all the colours of rainbow, didn't get down from the car. Rather, she abused people who approached her. Three psychiatrists talked to her in the car. They later said she had poor hygiene, had rashes all over and was irritable.

india-forums

Thanks for creating a thread for this! I'm looking forward to this. I really liked Page 3 and Traffic Signal (both of which were directed and written by Madhur).

Another article:

Fashionistas fear ‘Fashion’ might generate negative vibes about industry

New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) Director Madhur Bhandarkar’s attempt to probe the dark side of the style industry in his upcoming movie “Fashion” has fashionistas worried that it might generate negative vibes about the industry.Many in the fraternity object to the movie’s tagline, “In the world of fashion, you will have to give up more than just your morals”, saying it will send out all the wrong signals.

“I am dreading the movie as already there are so many myths and misconceptions about this industry,” model Amanpreet Wahi, who has been around for more than four years, told IANS. “People believe that our life is all about partying, looking good and taking drugs, which is not true. We work hard like everyone else to prove ourselves,” she maintained. “The tagline just degrades our work. Movies create a certain image in the mind of the people and they believe what they see. I know that after the release of the movie, we will have to be doubly answerable to our families, friends and other people by fielding questions that just don’t exist,” Wahi pointed out.

“Fashion” releases Oct 29, just 10 days after the conclusion of the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW), the country’s premier business-to-business showcase of the design industry. Memories of that event are sure to be fresh in the minds of many of those who view the movie. Laxmi Rana, who has been modelling for the past six years, said the negative tagline was indicative of the director’s preconceptions about the fashion industry. “The negative tagline is indicative of how the director perceives our profession. This is very unfortunate as I have worked in a very dignified manner and what I am today is only because of my hard work,” she contended. “Movies need to be spiced up with gossip and spice to sell in the market and directors focus only on that. There is more to the fashion industry than just casting couches, glamour and drugs,” Rana added.

Amruta Patki, Miss India Earth 2006, who has been in the modeling business for the past two years, said Bhandarkar had made a name for himself with movies like “Page 3″ and “Chandni Bar” and “Corprate” - all based on real life situations, but has dished out a cocktail of fact and fiction with “Fashion”. “‘Page 3′ was a real good movie and all of us could relate to it. But somehow I feel that this time, his movie is based on just superficial observations. It may be a combination of some facts and fiction,” Patki told IANS. “There is no short cut to success in any field and the same happens here too. If you have potential and talent, nothing can stop you. You do not have to give up your morals - as the movie projects. We all work in a dignified manner and there is total professionalism in this field,” she added.

Model Vipassa Aggarwal - the current face of cosmetic brand Lakme - maintained that all those in the fashion industry worked with dignity and led perfectly normal lives. “I am looking forward to seeing the movie but it is too early to comment on it. But the tagline and promos give a negative feel to the movie which is not good. So many models are happily married and have families and children. We all work in a very dignified manner,” she contended. “Just because it is a glamorous field we face awkward questions as people are always curious about the lives of celebrities,” Aggarwal explained.

Model Esha Gupta agreed with this and said: “One has to maintain individuality and morality in every profession. Just because we are in the fashion world, it doesn’t mean we all take drugs and look for shortcuts to climb up the ladder of success. “Hard work and patience play a pivotal role in this field,” Gupta added.

Supermodel Indrani Dasgupta refused to comment on the movie but said: “I have been in this business for ages now and I have not come across anything dark or unethical. I can’t comment unless I see the movie.”

“Fashion” stars Priyanka Chopra, Kangana Ranaut and Arbaaz Khan. Model Mugdha Godse makes her big screen debut with the film, which also has Arjan Bajwa and many members of the fashion industry as part of its cast.

thaindian.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only seen Page 3, but i do wonder how realistic the film is......

Thanks for posting the trailer! I can't wait till its released. I haven't seen an interesting hindi movie in awhile.

I've only seen Page 3, but i do wonder how realistic the film is......

:lol: it's mainstream Bollywood, they threw reality out the window 60 years ago. The idea is interesting but I just hate the clothes and styling overall so far :sick: I haven't watched a commercial Indian flick in years (except Rang de Basanti, which was exceptional) but I may check this one out if the reviews are decent. I just pray its not mostly focused on some love story with a fashion subplot.

:lol: it's mainstream Bollywood, they threw reality out the window 60 years ago. The idea is interesting but I just hate the clothes and styling overall so far :sick: I haven't watched a commercial Indian flick in years (except Rang de Basanti, which was exceptional) but I may check this one out if the reviews are decent. I just pray its not mostly focused on some love story with a fashion subplot.
haha you're right about the clothes being super tacky, but weren't they all (at least in Bollywood movies) wearing the tackiest clothes back in the 90s? Fashion is supposedly set in the 90s if its based on the life of that model Gitanjali Nagpal? It's just recently that Indian designers have stepped up and created some classic/interesting pieces, IMO.:ninja:
hahahaha Madhur probably wanted to keep it real, hence the horrid outfits they're wearing down the ramp and in the trailer.

I :heart:ed Rang de Basanti!!! Dil Chahta Hai is one of my faves and in terms of recent films, Guru was pretty damn good. I'm excited for Dilli 6.

^^yea i think it is set in the 90s and i guess it is supposed to be OTT, but isn't Madhur known for his films being realistic?

This film is either going to be great or just completely cr*p lol I guess we will find out next week!

^I hope he keeps this film realistic, Bollywood has enough fantasy rubbish being released.
Here's to hoping he keeps this in the same vein as Chandni Bar, Page 3 and Traffic Signal.

Real models glam up 'Fashion'

By ApunKaChoice 27th Oct 2008 14.00 IST

20081027-0.gif
While making a movie on the fashion world, it makes sense to rope in actual models from the fashion industry itself.

Madhur Bhandarkar , who likes to keep utmost authenticity in his slice-of-life films, actually signed as many as 46 real models (both female and male) to be part of his movie Fashion . However, none of these models was given substantial roles. Their parts were mainly walk-in roles.

Among the real models in the film are: Jesse Randhawa , Aanchal Kumar, Nayonika Chatterjee, Mridula Sharma, Bhavna Sharma, Diandra Soares, Binal Trivedi, Sucheta Sharma, Alicia Raut and Joey Mathews.

These models were basically part of the sequences showing fashion shows and back-stage preparations in the film.

Madhur shot the scenes in such a way that the models never got to feel as if they were shooting for a movie. He made them feel as if they were participating in a fashion show.

Model Nayonika Chatterjee tells a tabloid that she was apprehensive before shooting for the film because she had heard tales of long delays in shooting. But she admits she was impressed by the level of professionalism on the sets of Bhandarkar’s film.

The movie also stars model-turned-actress
Mugdha Godse in an important role. However, the main roles are reserved for actors like Priyanka Chopra (who is a former Miss World) and Kangana Ranaut .

‘Fashion’ is set to premiere in Dubai. The movie hits the theatres on October 29.

http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/fashion/20081027-0.html

The clothes are so incredibly tacky, but the plot of this movie sounds really interesting.

Review of Fashion:
I have just come away rather impressed from a screening of Madhur Bhandarkar’s Fashion. Yes, it’s not the usual happy film that one expects during the festive season but I am willing to wager that it will find takers regardless because its heart is in the right place. Bhandarkar, in his inimitable way, holds a mirror to the system that is both glamorous and exploitative to boot.

What is interesting about Fashion is the underlying theme of the workings of the glamour juggernaut and the spell it casts on individuals willing to be slaves to its cause. Whether it is Corporate that laid bare the stuff business ambitions are made of or Fashion that observes t the proceedings behind the ramp, in Bhandarkar’s make-believe world, the existential questions always loom large.

Bhandarkar’s decision to make a film on fashion had drawn several titters from the tag-toting set in the film industry who thought the filmmaker’s sensibilities were better suited for making a Chandni Bar than a cinematic ode to fashion. As it turns out, they may just have to eat their words. While there may not be any takeaway from the film in terms of fashion trends or style cues, the film is certainly convincing when it comes to creating a fashion fused atmosphere. The girls—Priyanka, Mugdha and Kangana look every bit the part they play and each essays her role convincingly. A special word though for Priyanka Chopra - after a string of flops Fashion, could signal the tipping point for her. The director has been raving about her performance for a while now but after this movie, she is likely to remain entrenched in Bollywood’s top echelons.
http://www.screenindia.com/news/Fashion-statement/378885/

I've heard quite good reviews on the film, hopefully i'll get round to watching it at some point this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katerinadimitriou
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->