DojQhD1.png

HCWFJeY.jpeg

XumQI7a.jpeg

1p9YZuE.jpeg

B0m23id.jpeg

BrTzQBZ.jpeg

rZ0ZI3Z.jpeg

NZCuOaE.jpeg

Credits: issuu.com / luxury magazine / instagram.com / grazia.it / saywho.co.uk / vogue.com

I must say that what I have always found funny regarding the comments in this thread is that people expect rich people to have taste simply because they have access to things. On the flip side, this thread illustrate that rich people expect that buying Couture will validate their taste and deemed it as great.
The result is that we have women wearing Chanel suits, what is recognized as good taste, classic and timeless but the outcome is totally different because taste comes from within.

Something that I always wonder while skimming this thread: the amount of women who likely could purchase couture... that don't.
.. which kind of brings us to a deeper topic, either HC becoming something that in principle is vulgar, gaudy, decadent and archaic, or an internal problem within that side of the industry which, in its need to survive, has cornered itself by clinging on to the type of clientele that lives extravagantly, loudly and in the now (and their transactions match that), instead of reading into times and being persuasive with the lifestyle and concerns of the very wealthy in the 2020s (especially if you're a high-profile member of government/some royal family). By planning their long-term survival (instead of securing short-term earnings), they would need to change a lot and the spectacle aspect would probably have to go but the rigor and level of craftsmanship wouldn't necessarily suffer.

I would frankly be miserable if my designs looked like the inexplicable, goofy leftovers from a failed collaboration that you can find in the sales rack at H&M (e.g. Oxana Girko) and in heaven if someone like Mackenzie Scott was my client and the average person couldn't tell the amount of work involved in the pieces made for her or what makes it so special. The coveted barrier of exclusivity remains, but silent, with dignity, not screaming on your face.

Something that I always wonder while skimming this thread: the amount of women who likely could purchase couture... that don't.
Answer: a lot! I grew up in a wealthy suburb of the Bay Area (before all the Russians came) and the only thing people spent money on were their houses, cars, and vacation. Think late 90s dot com families flying private with their TUMI luggage, north face jackets and baggallinis.

The culture of materialism has accelerated since then but there are still plenty of fabulously wealthy people who don’t care about fashion or find luxury brands gaudy.

I wonder if we are gonna see clients going for the Maison Margiela Spring 2024 Couture collection, Margiela is not a favorite fashion house among couture clients but that collection was so stunning and iconic that i hope it catches the attention of some clients.

ngl i know i've been super catty about the recent margiela show but upon reflection/several rewatches it does in fact rank quite low on my list of john's collections for the house. really not sure why everyone (on here/media/twitter) is so hung up on it. he's done much, much better things there. i can't help but feel that the only reason everyone is batting for it is because everything else is so godawful rn

It's surprising how awful that dress looks. I am sure it's well made but the fabrics used make the whole thing appear cheap?
I am not a fan of this collection, it lacked sensibility. The heavy styling and make up just turned it into costumes for a drag queen. Maybe that's why SM people love it so much. Nowadays everything in your face and screaming fashion is perceived as genius.

I am not a fan of this collection, it lacked sensibility. The heavy styling and make up just turned it into costumes for a drag queen. Maybe that's why SM people love it so much. Nowadays everything in your face and screaming fashion is perceived as genius.
yeah i think that's it exactly

It goes down in Kazakhstan lol. One time this lady from there popped up on my fyp. She owns a boutique there selling real deal designer clothes, posting vids of her hopping around in cdg, bottega, Margiela, etc. Googled her and she was arrested/convicted/sentenced for kidnapping her assistant lol but she got her penalties dropped and is out and about now

186.- Asia - Kuwait - Sarah Al Wazzan

JV9NN69.jpeg

PTpH2Wj.jpeg

EbDNh4O.jpeg

xg47GLn.jpeg

jbuF1F9.jpeg

Credits: voltem-magazine.com / ainsleydsphotography.com / instagram.com / vogue.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->