How to Get a Peek-a-Boo Hairstyle a la Veronica Lake ?

rollagasper

Reaction score
I am pretty clueless as to hairstyling, so what can I do to achieve this kind of dramatic and classic peek-a-boo hairstyle a la Veronica Lake? I want to do my own hair for this formal event and I hope i can get this right! Thanks for the help!
3-1068-Lake,%20Veronica_03.jpg

3-1068-bw-lake23.jpg

Seen at Gucci (style.com)
00040m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm My hair goes like that pretty naturally. What type of hair do you have? Straight, fine, thick, etc...?

I have stick straight hair. How do you get waves like that instead of ringlets?

rollagasper you should try using big (and when I say big I mean 1½-2 inch wide) rollers..
H&M has some huge ones, and they are cheap.
Wash your hair, when it's almost dry section your hair and use the rollers.. spray it with some setting spray.. or if your hair is stubbornly straight try something stronger.. I use saltwater.. but that's obviously not that strong..
Blow dry your hair and when it's dry, take out the rollers (carefully) and if it's too ringletty for you carefully brush your hair and spray it with some hairspray to set it.

rollagasper you should try using big (and when I say big I mean 1½-2 inch wide) rollers..
What kind of rollers would be best? Velcro ones or those ones that heat up? I've also seen some foam ones...

And when you roll the hair, am i supposed to roll it back (towards the back of my head) or do i roll it to the side? I hope this makes sense to you! Sorry I'm so clueless when it comes to hairstyling! :P

yeah the best way to do this is essentially by brushing out pin curls. However, i will say i brought in several pictures of veronica lake to my salon in London and wanted that sort of hair done on me (i also have stick straight hair) and it's incredibly difficult.

I third the brushing out curls idea. I normally brush my hair pretty straight, but when it dries curly/wavy I'll brush it and it looks a lot like that.

rollagasper said:
What kind of rollers would be best? Velcro ones or those ones that heat up? I've also seen some foam ones...

And when you roll the hair, am i supposed to roll it back (towards the back of my head) or do i roll it to the side? I hope this makes sense to you! Sorry I'm so clueless when it comes to hairstyling! :P

I do do-up so rarely that I didn't splurg on fancy rollers.. I just use these (attachment). and pins.. That works for me..

the middle and top part (mohawk) of your head I'd roll back...It will give you more volume on top that a classical veronica lake style.. but you can always brush that down.
the hair on the side of your head I'd roll to the side I think..

www.global-b2b-network.com

Attachments

• Hair_Roller.jpg
    Hair_Roller.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
An old thread, but I recently came across a very helpful YouTube video on creating a Veronica Lake hairstyle that would be perfect for this thread (here's the link). I even tried it out on myself ahead of time, so you can trust that it works. :P

Here's how my hair turned out. Since it's my first try it's certainly not perfect, but you get the idea!

My photographs

i've had great success with using a FLAT IRON to create waves -- if you have a thin and rounded one, it's often much easier to control creating waves than with a curling iron. there are plenty of youtube vids and websites that explain this.

I'd also recc' looking up how to create finger-waves -- it's a bit more difficult with long hair, but there's plenty of sites out there that give great instructions and it works quite nicely. googling retro hairstyles in general helps a lot to find ways to get those sort of pinup/retro looks :smile:

^ Gosh, i tried so hard to make those waves with my flat iron but couldn't manage that. Maybe because mine is more wide..

Thank you for posting that! Gosh, that girl makes the hairstyle look so easy, but I know that I'll never be able to replicate this look

If you clip it with cric cracs or something combing it a bit more dramatic than that while soaking wet, and leave it to dry overnight, it will look like that when you take them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sliver54
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->