John Galliano F/W 2005.06 Paris

I absolutely ADORE this show. It’s so stunning. It perfectly captures a fantasy of 1930’s Hollywood. I love the casting, the hair and makeup, the styling, the set...and the SOUNDTRACK! I can listen to it for hours! It’s one of Jeremy Healy’s most evocative and sensitive soundtracks...ending with the Sarah McLachlan track kills me!

Revisited this the other evening. Watched the video again...and I honestly can say it's one of my top 5 favorite shows/collections of all time.

one of his best collections, a personal fav of mine. GORGEOUS.
Yep. This is what I want to see when I say JG needs his own label back. Dior was in the way last time. Galliano's collections were getting better when Dior ones were getting worse.

Yep. This is what I want to see when I say JG needs his own label back. Dior was in the way last time. Galliano's collections were getting better when Dior ones were getting worse.
i do agree that dior got consistently worse after 2006 but the galliano label was also slightly sporadic as well. there were some great collections (fall 2009, spring 2010, fall 2010) but some real stinkers too (spring 2007, spring 2008, fall 2008, spring 2009)... i think that all in all, he did some of his best work from the early 90s (i'm thinking olivia and filibuster, spring '93) up until around 2006.

John is of course very well known for his dresses but I have always loved how he does the masculine/feminine thing.
There’s something very effortless about this collection and therefore, very confident.

And that bow he took! Always a favorite of mine lol.

Dior for fall 2005 was quite a knockout though.
I think John outdid himself that season and maybe for the first time in a longtime, managed to really separate Dior and John Galliano.

Unfortunately, those aren’t collections where models were stomping the runway in loud music or wearing impossible shoes with outrageous make-up. So they don’t get the recognition they should from social media.

^The suiting here is really exceptional.

The navy blazer and white trouser look on Jacquetta is absolute perfection.

There are so many of the early Galliano signatures from the 90’s, but here, in this collection, they’re in their most sophisticated and accomplished form. Masterfully designed and executed.

I remember in the style.com video of this show backstage John talked about how almost everything in the collection was bias cut, including the suits - all the way down to their pocketbag linings. That’s a level of sumptuousness that is so inspiring and delightful and completely lost from fashion now (except, maybe, from John’s Margiela!).

2005 really was a very strong year for him. Both at Dior and Galliano. Dior Spring/Summer Haute Couture 2005 is one of his absolute best, and very underrated. And I absolutely love the Barbie RTW collection and the Fall/Winter 2005 RTW aviator show. All so good. The toned-down Miss Dior era was very strong and still holds up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Byron Boy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->