Martha Rich - Illustrator

unspoiledbird

Reaction score
I searched and searched but found no thread on her! I'm quite surprised as I'm sure I've seen her illustrations on many magazines, including Nylon.

In any case, here goes!

p_family.jpg

na_BW4.jpg

na_monk.jpg

martharich.com

From illustrationmundo.com

Originally from Philadelphia, Martha Rich lived the typical, suburban life - until she followed her husband to Los Angeles where, just short of a picket fence and 2.5 children her average American life unraveled. To cope with divorce, fate lead her to an illustration class taught by the Clayton Brothers. They persuaded her to ditch her human resources job at Universal Studios and make art instead. She graduated with honors from Art Center College of Design and is currently based in Pasadena obsessively painting undergarments, wigs, lobsters, and Loretta Lynn.

In the 6 years she has been working as an artist, Rich's clients have ranged from CosmoGirl to Rolling Stone to Smart Money Magazine to name a few. Her work has been featured in two music videos, "The Science of Selling Yourself Short" by Less Than Jake and most recently in "Girl" by Beck. Last summer, Rich collaborated with Esther Pearl Watson to create images for "Dear New Girl or Whatever Your Name Is" published by McSweeney's. In June 2006 a book of her sketchbook art will be published by Murphy Design. She has recently begun showing her work in galleries as well, most recently at the La Luz de Jesus Gallery in Hollywood. ("Add Inches While You Sleep.") Rich's next project is curating a show at TAG Art Gallery in Nashville, TN "Tang & Jello" opening September 2006.
43_5.jpg

43_3.jpg

43_2.jpg

illustrationmundo.com

there's something very raw about her work that's a bit intimidating for me.. however, I think she does asymmetry quite marvelously and has a great eye for colour. thanks for posting, unspoiledbird!. :heart:

MulletProof said:
there's something very raw about her work that's a bit intimidating for me.. however, I think she does asymmetry quite marvelously and has a great eye for colour. thanks for posting, unspoiledbird!. :heart:

I know what you mean about her being raw, but I think that might be the main thing that appeals to me :blush: I love how she can mix beautiful and hideous on one piece, it's something I'd love to successfully do on paper but can't because I lack the creativity to do so :innocent::lol:

hmm for some reason I'm not really liking her work and I can't put my finger on why... :ermm:

thanks for the thread though unspoiledbird! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txroadrun
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->