Model Casting F/W 09.10

I don't get the fuss about Givenchy. Sure, they called in lots of old ladies, and they went for something different, which is nice. But are we so desperate for variation that any kind of different - good or bad - will do? The casting was all over the place, and notably sub-par in the new girls department. Until they bring out some hidden gems and get the season's best new faces, I definitely don't see it being "the new Prada". Even lackluster Prada (with the possible exception of this awful season) wins over this mess...
i actually disagree completely. the new girls were awesome, as were the "old ladies". Additionally, isn't it supposed to be that getting the exclusive makes you a best new face? Prada exclusives are considered the best newcomers because Prada is established in this department. I think that if Givenchy turns out more castings like this one, it too will become established. I thought the cast took quite an interesting look at femininity and strength. Notice Adriana, feminine, slightly curvy, was put in the pants/suit type piece and Iris, androgynous and strong looking, was put in the feminine, flowing, feathery dress.

Givenchy will hardly be the new Prada. I don't believe it will be the place to launch new faces in the future but their show casting seems to be getting more "exclusive" and "elite" if you will. More like Balenciaga. I think what's so great about how the casting was done is that each girl had such a strong distinct look. Most of them overpowered the clothes.

i don't think it's comparable to Prada either, certainly not at this point anyway
there were no brand spanking new girls making their debut at Givenchy, for one thing
and that's sort of what the whole Prada hype is/was based on

the cast would've been so much better without certain random, dull new-ish faces
i won't name names, but it really dragged down the overall impression for me

I don't get the fuss about Givenchy. Sure, they called in lots of old ladies, and they went for something different, which is nice. But are we so desperate for variation that any kind of different - good or bad - will do? The casting was all over the place, and notably sub-par in the new girls department. Until they bring out some hidden gems and get the season's best new faces, I definitely don't see it being "the new Prada". Even lackluster Prada (with the possible exception of this awful season) wins over this mess...

i agree. not well edited. makes it look like the clothes dont stand on there own. at first i was excited by lisa ratliff and the others, but now it seems a mess. this is not what casting a show is about. it needs to be more precise then just putting in faces we havent seen in a long time. these girls werent even older great runway girls. I would be more interested in seeing these face in W or italian vogue, but not on a runway. feels like a gimick to me.:ermm::ermm::ermm:

Does anybody know who casts Dior and Galliano? The Galliano show was impossible to get into for new girls so it seems...all 30 were seasoned Galliano veterans and housefavorites, with the exception of Toni and Sigrid. I wonder if there even are seperate castings for both shows...

^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking too! The cast at both shows is always so obvious...

Prada should own a Agency... Prada Models Agency hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one of the reasons why Prada casting is so strong and influential (apart from aesthetics) is because they have ties to Russell Marsh who has ties to Steven Meisel, who is aruguably the most important fashion photograher in the business. He propels girls into stardom. And nearly all of those girls which he made into stars, walked Prada runways and were cast by Russell Marsh.

Givenchy might have a directional casting, but they have no follow-up. It's about the aesthetics of the show and thats where it ends. These Givenchy girls need momentum from photographers and magazine editors to gain fame.

This season had a few firsts, Freja at Valentino and Lara Stone in Chanel.

everyone was saying rayna was a givenchy exclusive, but she was also at LV

I wouldn't call Givenchy the new Prada. I wouldn't even say there is a new Prada as Prada today is also different as it was a few seasons/years ago. They still have exclusives and there is still such a huge amount of excitement around their castings... but the whole thing seems different to me.

Givenchy had some interesting girls - I'd say seeing Nanou was the most thrilling part of the casting. She's not completely new, she's not an "old glory", she wasn't expected but looks perfect for the brand and this collection. Booking Ranya and Kelsey was a good idea as well, even if the whole casting looks a tad messy (for my own taste) in the end.

Miu Miu was probably the best surprise of the week, I didn't expect that much actually. No wonder to see Katlin there but Ginta was striking. She wasn't the exclusive of the season but simply booked very selective shows. One by one, step by step to the most amazing. I was glad to see Bara as well, who really fits the current aesthetic there (from last three seasons) and Luisa was quite a nice surprise.

It was maybe a strange season but thrilling. Suspense :lol: and the game is not over I think...

Mr. Marsh :P
photomiddef2865060.jpg
photomiddef2865018.jpg

firstview

^^^ WOW thats Russell Marsh??

I was expecting somebody Steven-Meisel-esque. Russell looks far more preppy than I imagined him. Especially given his casting choices!

This casting list is from Barbara Pfister's website, anyone know how current it is?
clients.gif

barbarapfister

^When agents list labels (Especially major ones) online most of the time it's just casting one area of the company (Not necessarily all the runways or campaigns) or all past & present clients. For example -- if I remember correctly -- Barbara casts Calvin Klein menswear and not womenswear.

It's better to look at her portfolio instead of the client list to get a more accurate glimpse at which aspect/during which time period of each client she actually works/worked with. Anything of notable mention would be published there, I believe...then you can tell how current that list is :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->