Model Casting F/W 16.17

Of course I was referring to old money being that 1% and generations of their family wearing Chanel doesn't imply "stuffy, uppercrust country club environments". Are these brands specifically aiming at new money consumers? I would still think that they don't need heavy-handed influence to buy luxury goods.

But it still stands that people, moneyed or otherwise, aren't going out of there way to buy low-end products such as magazines so how does one figure that heightened brand visibility by using these models for more expensive products have been generating sales?

It's not about generating sales of clothes at all. Clothes are less than 15% of most designer brands' revenue. It's about creating brand awareness. A few years ago, Balmain wasn't a household name. Since the Kardashians it is as eponymous with luxury as Chanel or Louis Vuitton in the media and ergo in the minds of their readers. It's the same reason that brands do H&M collaborations. You think the regular H&M shopper can afford Versace or Balmain? It creates press and hype. It ensures that the name of the brand is mentioned in every major news source.

It creates a sense of desire for the product in every young girl who idolises Kendall. These fans cannot afford this brand, but when the customers who can afford the brand see this worldwide desire, they are more inclined to buy the product. These are not fashion conscious customers who look at pictures from runway shows and know the ins and outs of the industry. This is your loaded wife looking for a status symbol to show everyone she can afford what they want, what is cool.

The way that mainstream customers love the fugly Vuitton monogram. It is a status symbol. When Kendall and Gigi create press and continue to keep brand names in the media, these brands can also become status symbols. What do you think is the most important reason some houses still bother with couture when it is financially pointless? Brand awareness.

The fact of the matter is that out in the "real world", people are heavily influenced by the Kardashians/Jenners/Wests. Perhaps not in the convoluted, holier-than-thou, pretend worlds that most fashion stans live in. Go to any club in middle America, all you see are Kim clones (with the monochromatic, skirt/top/coat/strappy sandal look she does). Go to any high school and a majority of the girls will have a little knock off Fendi fur ball hanging from their book bag. Trying to find Soar lip liner at MAC is like trying to search for gold? Why? Because of Kylie. These girls have influence, and in a major way. They might not move RTW (because middle America cannot afford it), but then again RTW has never been a huge percentage of these houses revenues. However, what it does do is keep these brands relevant and it gives middle America something to aspire to. No one was talking about Miu Miu prior to Kendall or Gigi walking it. My instagram feed has been literally bombarded with Miu Miu pictures. These girls might not be able to buy the Miu Miu coat, but they can def afford the new perfume. Which is where the REAL money is at. These girls are the NEW supermodels, whether you like it or not. They make fashion exciting again, maybe not for all the elitist a-holes out there, but for millions of people out in the real world.

It's not about generating sales of clothes at all. Clothes are less than 15% of most designer brands' revenue. It's about creating brand awareness. A few years ago, Balmain wasn't a household name. Since the Kardashians it is as eponymous with luxury as Chanel or Louis Vuitton in the media and ergo in the minds of their readers. It's the same reason that brands do H&M collaborations. You think the regular H&M shopper can afford Versace or Balmain? It creates press and hype. It ensures that the name of the brand is mentioned in every major news source.

It creates a sense of desire for the product in every young girl who idolises Kendall. These fans cannot afford this brand, but when the customers who can afford the brand see this worldwide desire, they are more inclined to buy the product. These are not fashion conscious customers who look at pictures from runway shows and know the ins and outs of the industry. This is your loaded wife looking for a status symbol to show everyone she can afford what they want, what is cool.

The way that mainstream customers love the fugly Vuitton monogram. It is a status symbol. When Kendall and Gigi create press and continue to keep brand names in the media, these brands can also become status symbols. What do you think is the most important reason some houses still bother with couture when it is financially pointless? Brand awareness.

The end goal for these brands is ultimately to make money which can only come from consumers actually buying products which certainly isn't limited to clothing. I mentioned accessories in my other post -- couple hundred for perfume or tens of thousands for bags.

Image without sales is just hype and I'm not entirely convinced that a person with the kind of money to become a preferred customer of these brands (someone who can buy many items on a regular basis) would have no awareness of these brands, what they represent in terms of status and would need to be influenced by press coverage of Gigi or Kendall walking in these shows to then covet those brands. Even for such a potential customer who isn't fashion savvy, there usually isn't indisputable proof that they were steered to the brand because of those models. It's just as likely that they were influenced by an actor with 3x the fame who wore it to the Oscars.

Saint Laurent has gained huge profit over the last few years, it's one of the most discussed brands and it didn't even have an active instagram account until a few months ago. No Hadid or Jenner have been featured in its ad campaign or runway show.

It's clear that luxury brands can create/maintain coveted images with heightened visibility and make profit without using those specific models.

The end goal for these brands is ultimately to make money which can only come from consumers actually buying products which certainly isn't limited to clothing. I mentioned accessories in my other post -- couple hundred for perfume or tens of thousands for bags.

Image without sales is just hype and I'm not entirely convinced that a person with the kind of money to become a preferred customer of these brands (someone who can buy many items on a regular basis) would have no awareness of these brands, what they represent in terms of status and would need to be influenced by press coverage of Gigi or Kendall walking in these shows to then covet those brands. Even for such a potential customer who isn't fashion savvy, there usually isn't indisputable proof that they were steered to the brand because of those models. It's just as likely that they were influenced by an actor with 3x the fame who wore it to the Oscars.

Saint Laurent has gained huge profit over the last few years, it's one of the most discussed brands and it didn't even have an active instagram account until a few months ago. No Hadid or Jenner have been featured in its ad campaign or runway show.

It's clear that luxury brands can create/maintain coveted images with heightened visibility and make profit without using those specific models.

Of course you can't directly link sales to any one marketing opportunity. But think of it in terms of H&M, as I mentioned earlier. Of course these consumers are not running out to buy any designer products, but the hype that their brand receives from these is obviously extremely beneficial or, from an efficient market view, no one would be wasting their time with it every year. It works.

And you can look at the difference between Alexander Wang for H&M, which used top models such as Lexi and Anna, and Balmain for H&M which used Kendall and Gigi. There was absolutely no comparison in the end when it came to the marketing success and online presence of each collection. After looking at metrics it was by far the most successful H&M collaboration so far in terms of consumer influence and global recognition.

That's not to say that you can't profit without a huge online presence. Saint Laurent was lucky that Hedi had a vision that worked, and is a marketing genius in other ways. But it is rare that you see that level of results under a new designer. Just as it is almost impossible to find a model with the continued success that Nobis has with no social media presence whatsoever. Everyone can hope for that magic, but your best bet is online presence. Full stop. In the world right now, social media is king and Internet buzz is equal to success in the eyes of the business because it is proven to work.

You may not agree that it translates to sales, but as I mentioned, from an efficient market point of view, if it didn't no one would waste their time. There is obviously evidence to support its financial benefits. Even if you're not positive, why take the risk? Why hire Natasha, Anna, Raquel - supermodels in our eyes but unknowns to the rest of the world - and see no online buzz after your show when you could hire Gigi and Kendall and see your Instagram hashtag updating with images of your show every 2-3 seconds. There was a substantial increase in Versace's Instagram followers after Gigi's posts. So as a fashion house you can either sit around resisting change and debating whether online presence truly translates into sales, or you can hire the nepotism models and watch as every mainstream media outlet and every teenager on Instagram posts about your show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't really get why people are saying everyone is talking about Miu Miu after Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid walked it.....I'm surrounded by teenagers/young adults and I haven't heard a single person talking about it. It seems to me that the only people talking about it are people who are already serious fans of the girls (serious being -- fan accounts, blogs etc). As far as I can tell, most middle America teenagers still don't care about Miu Miu.

Can we create a thread for this topic? Or merge the posts into the Social Media and Luxury Brands thread?

I don't know if it's still the right thread, so if not please feel free to remove it from here! :flower:
Anna Ewers, Greta Varlese, Tami Williams and two other models I don't recognize for Atelier Versace:

It kinda looks like Josephine Skriver then Kasia Struss on the top row.

I know Josephine's in Paris right now, as is Sara Sampaio who might be at Elie Saab.

^ Do you know something we don't? As in super models?

^^^ Josephine Skriver, Kasia Struss, Greta Varlese, Tami Williams, Ondria Hardin.

Sasha Pivovarova, Mariacarla Boscono, Yasmin Wijnaldum and Anna Ewers.

That board with Kasia and Sasha is Atelier Versace. Joan, Jourdan and Vlada are in Paris also.

I think they'll all be at Versace. That's the only show that tends to bring these girls in.

Vlada? She hasn't done Versace in ages. Praying for a Gigi-free show though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Greta for Versace??? It makes me angry. If Vlada is in Paris, it would be a dream see her at Versace, fingers crossed. Would love to see Maria Borges slaying that show again :lucky:

Andreea Diaconu's walking Versace. She was seen at fittings with Tami Williams and Josephine Skriver, both who were on the Versace board.

I believe Hanne-Gaby is also doing Versace. She posted about it on Instagram.

Versace is basically everyone who has done it the past couple years.

But they do always have surprise appearances from the 90s/early 2000s girls. I wonder who it will be this time?

Sara Sampaio tweeted about doing her first couture shows tomorrow. Looks like she'll be at Versace as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->