Prada Holiday 2020 by Steven Meisel

There’s a tinge of mystery and a cinematic quality in Prada’s holiday 2020 campaign, bowing Monday.

The images, captured by Steven Meisel, are based on a story conceived for the campaign, titled “A Stranger Calls,” by British writer Candice Carty-Williams, best known for her 2019 best-selling debut novel, “Queenie.”

The cast includes Freja Beha, Maty Fall, Mao Xiaoxing, Rudolfs Valbergs and Merlijne, and the location, the stunning Deco Villa Gnutti in Italy’s Brescia, created by famed interior designer Ettore Canali, serves as the background. Fully restored, the location is integral to the narrative, with its beautiful marble columns, majestic salons and staircases and huge beau-windows.

The graphic lines and sharply cut silhouettes of the men’s spring and women’s pre-spring 2021 collections are emphasized by the black-and-white images, and Meisel also zooms in on Prada’s accessories and in particular on the Cleo handbag, which made its debut in the Prada “Multiple Views” spring 2021 show in July and is influenced by the brand’s archival styles. Men’s jewelry, as well women’s jewels in sterling-silver and tourmaline, are also portrayed, together with other accessories such as the Prada Galleria handbag.

The campaign will preview on prada.com and the brand’s social media channels beginning Monday. It will be followed by a dedicated video, also directed by Meisel, who worked on Prada’s ad campaigns from the spring 2001 to the fall 2016 season.

Given the restrictions imposed by the coronavirus pandemic, the campaign was remotely shot, meaning Meisel was not on the set but he directed the crew, cameras and models.

For the “Multiple Views SS21” video Miuccia Prada asked five artists and photographers to interpret her men’s spring and women’s pre-spring 2021 collections,her last as solo creative director of the brand before the arrival of Raf Simons to share that title. The short film was shown in July as part of Milan’s first digital fashion week.

Prada asked American filmmaker, writer, director, actor and musician Terence Nance; London-based Polish photographer Joanna Piotrowska; American artist Martine Syms, and photographers Juergen Teller and Willy Vanderperre to each share their perspective throughout five chapters — reflecting the idea of a personal reaction when viewing a fashion show.

image.php

image.php

image.php

newsbreak.com

I cannot believe my eyes. I am shaking! What?! An iconic pairing in 2020, Meisel and Prada, a great campaign, great casting as well, some concept, and no pretentious social justice bull*hit?! Pure fashion and luxury?! Dream-inducing imagery?!

This is it! Done! Sorry, Prada wins 2020, can’t care about anything else at this point. I will probably come back here and to the Zara thread 100 times in next 5 years as the rest is so bland and mediocre.

I hope Edward and Beyonce go cry in the corner for not doing everything in their powers to get the new issue captured by Meisel. Every time he just casually does a new series of photographs and shows his damn PhD in photographing luxury to all the other photographers, who are still in primary school, when compared to him.

It's a Christmas miracle!! I thought the title was a mistake, couldn't believe my eyes. It's so exciting to have Meisel back at Prada!! I truly hope it's permanent. You can't beat Meisel's skill... the campaign is magnificent. It's nice to see him playing outside of his studio again as well. First Zara's campaign and now this... he's on a roll!

All I need now is a reunion between Meisel - Prada - Sasha P and I could die in peace.

I knew it. When Miuccia decided to stop collaborating with Willy and changed the photographer for Resort 2020 -which was actually really nice- it was obvious that she needed Meisel again. And thinking a bit deeper, only Meisel can make this new Prada relevant in terms of imagery. I mean, they had all the hype, super good reviews (although they didn't deserve it lol) and now the last thing they need is a really strong campaign to sell it. And who's the man that can make it possible? Meisel, period.

This resort campaign can't make it wrong in my eyes. It's my favorite collection of Miuccia in years -and sadly her last one designing alone- and she's talking about a classic elegance without any pretentious: just a beautiful woman wearing a beautiful coat. And Meisel elevates all that. Somehow I find it very clever because it's easy to feel that mood looking through the pictures.

And last but not least: it's kinda obvious that they're gonna keep Meisel forever. And let's be honest: they're not gonna be so stupid to give Raf Simons this kind of decisions -unless they want to be C.K. 2.0-. I don't think that she had the nerve to say: Hi Steven, I'm back and I wanted to hire you again for one resort advertising... Honestly I don't know what the hell she said to convince him to be back at the brand. Because I'd feel so embarrassed to do that after changed Meisel for...Willy Vanderperre.

I'm excited.

The magic of Meisel...
Classic, chic, timeless and aspirational.
A lifestyle....That’s how you sell luxury.

A great photographer makes you love a collection you hated.
Meisel is still above his contemporaries.

They better continue to collaborate with him because god knows that the Raf/Miuccia collection needs him.

Wow, an outdoor shoot for Meisel. We love to see it.

Great campaign and it truly does look like stills from some kind of cool arthouse film.

I can't help but feel nostalgic of the amazing F/W 2012 campaign when I see the checkers.

Wow am I dreaming? The photos are absolutely stunning! The art direction? Not so much

The magic of Meisel...
Classic, chic, timeless and aspirational.
A lifestyle....That’s how you sell luxury.

A great photographer makes you love a collection you hated.
Meisel is still above his contemporaries.

They better continue to collaborate with him because god knows that the Raf/Miuccia collection needs him.

Totally agree with you! This man is something else. Even remotely, he managed to give us the Meisel we all love. For this very basic collection, you need a very talented photographer to make it desirable. This campaign gives us storytelling and desirability.

Miuccia is getting back to her senses. Both Prada and Miu Miu are good.

I wonder if menswear is going to be part of the campaign.

I really want to buy something from Prada now.

Given the restrictions imposed by the coronavirus pandemic, the campaign was remotely shot, meaning Meisel was not on the set but he directed the crew, cameras and models.
newsbreak.com
He is not young man, but still want learning new method of work. Only true artist can change habits. Technically, remote shooting it is not very complex. He seated in NY on own computer and it is connectioned with the other computer on the set by special program. He see all photo while crew doing photos. For us is good news maybe we will seeing a lot of beautiful photos in future.

Prada be like "let's return to the older clients with actual cash in this harsh period" :ninja:

Anyway, this is truly major. Really put Vanderperre's ads to shame, that I had to actually Google Vanderperre's ads because I don't remember any of them :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nauseated
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->