Prada Holiday 2020 by Steven Meisel

She must've seen joined the dots that part of Prada's problem lies with their campaign.
Meisel's return instantly positioned Prada's visuals where it used to be before he left - sophisticated and grown-up.... something Willy Vanderperre struggled with for seasons.

Love this return to form. Now if only he get's back to shooting at American Vogue. Would love to see what his work looks like with a newer breed of stylists.

The fact that this is exactly what Willy tried to do for the house but unfortunately didnt have the range to do so

Karl Templer?

Olivier Rizzo has worked a few times with Meisel, no? Does he still do the fashion show?

Good to see him shooting for Prada, it's solid (as in ticks a lot of boxes) but I have a hard time connecting to it? It speaks volumes of how starved people are for some proper fashion photography, every Meisel campaign recently has been hailed here as the best thing since sliced bread (I mean that Ports 1961 catalogue the campaign of the season, really?).

This gives me 'Cinema Stills' vibes with Daria and Elise.

I mean...again this is good but that editorial was just on a whole other level. Don't wanna be a Cassandra but I doubt we'll be seeing anything like that anytime soon.

Finally than Meisel back to photograph an Prada campaign & everything is spectacular because all the photos reminds me the cover story of Vogue Italia October 2003 "Cinema Stills".

She must've seen joined the dots that part of Prada's problem lies with their campaign.
Meisel's return instantly positioned Prada's visuals where it used to be before he left - sophisticated and grown-up.... something Willy Vanderperre struggled with for seasons.

Love this return to form. Now if only he get's back to shooting at American Vogue. Would love to see what his work looks like with a newer breed of stylists.

I'd rather her did the cover + stories for Italian Vogue. It would take a lot more to make American Vogue great again since they lost Testino and Demarchelier.

Thank f*ck Willy seems to be out for good. None of his campaigns resonated with me, I thought they were simply awful.

This is really classic and simple. The images smell expensive to me. And the bag is actually delicious, and deliciously photographed. Probably the first Prada bag I've really liked in a while.

Really good imagery on the whole. Of course this is not Meisel's best, but for today's standards the shots are excellent. I love the one of Maty lying down, and glad to see Merlijne here after making an impressive start in UK Vogue this month.

Interesting that Meisel goes outside of the studio for the first time in years for two campaigns that don't actually require him to even leave his sofa in reality :lol:. I wonder if they send the first or second assistant out for these shoots though? Surely not, as quarantine would be involved in travelling from the States to France and Italy. Or maybe that's just a sacrifice that has to be made when you work for the GOAT?

Was expecting Willy to return with Raf but this is the best surprise ever!

This is an exceptional campaign, and not just because of the return of Meisel. It's an original concept that was executed perfectly. I love the different perspectives. The product also shines through. It's like the Prada campaigns from the late 80's modernized. Also, the diverse cast feels natural and unforced. Meisel and Prada is the perfect combination. All the other gimmicks over the past 4 years have just been washed away. The fashion campaign is how the world see's the products and the brand. That is an area that has been lacking and it's starting to catch up. It's no surprise that sales are the lowest they have ever been. Better late than never. Hopefully they can turn things around. I can forgive Raf's fist collection because of the the time given and the pandemic. Next season there will be no excuse. Meisel should not have to play miracle worker.

This is an exceptional campaign, and not just because of the return of Meisel. It's an original concept that was executed perfectly. I love the different perspectives. The product also shines through. It's like the Prada campaigns from the late 80's modernized. Also, the diverse cast feels natural and unforced. Meisel and Prada is the perfect combination. All the other gimmicks over the past 4 years have just been washed away. The fashion campaign is how the world see's the products and the brand. That is an area that has been lacking and it's starting to catch up. It's no surprise that sales are the lowest they have ever been. Better late than never. Hopefully they can turn things around. I can forgive Raf's fist collection because of the time given and the pandemic. Next season there will be no excuse. Meisel should not have to play miracle worker.

Ugh, so true! Prada thought they could make bank with the hypebeasts, forgetting that what kept them on the best-selling and sought-after lists was their unapologetically 'luxury' angle, aimed at people who could afford that lifestyle. I get that luxury is a dirty word in 2020, but if that's your market, embrace it!

Hopefully this new classic visual shift will be replicated by others and we'll soon see the end of all the trite hipster/Dazed wannabe brand of photography for campaigns that looks as though it was shot with an iPhone.

What even happened between Meisel and Miuccia? All I remember was that he stopped working for the brand around the same time he fell out with Franca. Did Miuccia pick a side? lol.

They better stick with Meisel from here on now. This campaign slaps you even when you're seeing it from afar.

Ugh, so true! Prada thought they could make bank with the hypebeasts, forgetting that what kept them on the best-selling and sought-after lists was their unapologetically 'luxury' angle, aimed at people who could afford that lifestyle. I get that luxury is a dirty word in 2020, but if that's your market, embrace it!

Hopefully this new classic visual shift will be replicated by others and we'll soon see the end of all the trite hipster/Dazed wannabe brand of photography for campaigns that looks as though it was shot with an iPhone.

What even happened between Meisel and Miuccia? All I remember was that he stopped working for the brand around the same time he fell out with Franca. Did Miuccia pick a side? lol.

I think that the feud between Franca and Steven never happened. He colaborated for VI untill her death. When he stopped shooting the covers + main eds, Franca became ill. Most of the "non Meisel" issues were special editions edited by photographers that were very close to her (Lindbergh, Weber, Klein, etc.). Her final issues were an homage to her, made it by the people that she really loved. I can't believe that VI lose its magic after that tragic year. Steven moved from Franca to Edward and Prada to Zara, Loewe, Moschino, Max Mara, etc.

Also I want to talk about his recent work in studio. I did see he entire work for american Vogue, thanks to the archive. And most of the editorials for that magazine were made in studio. I think that he had more freedom working for Franca, while British and American Vogue are commercial titles compared to VI when it was a cult publication. I'm showing Steven's edirorials and covers to all my friends that have zero clues about fashion and they love his pictures, and find his work inspiring.

Last edited:
Credits:
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Creative Director: Ferdinando Verderi
Cast: Freja Beha, Maty Fall, Mao Xiaoxing, Rudolfs Valbergs, Merlijne Schorren
Story by: Candice Carthy-Williams

cq5dam.web.840.840-6.jpg cq5dam.web.840.840-5.jpg cq5dam.web.840.840-4.jpg cq5dam.web.840.840-3.jpg cq5dam.web.840.840-2.jpg cq5dam.web.840.840.jpg
prada

I hope this continues because it is gorgeous, both in color or bw. I am not sure how the new collections with Raf will be promoted by if this the indication then it is a yes. Weirdly enough this is something Willy was trying to achieve but he failed to do so and completely turn Prada into lifeless brand. To be honest, Willy should just stick to editorials because I have never remembered a good campaign from him.

I really start to hope that the first fashion show by Miuccia and Raf was a "hiccup" and that they will try to steer the brand in this direction.

Both bw and color campaigns are gorgeous, and my bank account is shaking.

I hope this continues because it is gorgeous, both in color or bw. I am not sure how the new collections with Raf will be promoted by if this the indication then it is a yes. Weirdly enough this is something Willy was trying to achieve but he failed to do so and completely turn Prada into lifeless brand. To be honest, Willy should just stick to editorials because I have never remembered a good campaign from him.
I loved the Jil Sander ad he did for spring 2012. The ad referenced The Birds and starred Daria Strokus and Natasha. Great ad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sennin
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->