Sewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks cygnenoir and KissenKatja for the kind words :]

and KissenKatja, that looks wonderfully done! if i were a girl, i'd be more than willing to slip into that haha

i made this a few days ago, inspired my MJ's fall 09 mohair coat:
159267-Marc-Jacobs-MOHAIR-BLEND-JACKET_ZOOM.jpg
eb2904a0723822a820c31991084358e11191f881-200.jpg

from stylefeeder.com

i think mine needs pockets:
it's done out of faux astrahkan, leather trim on front/hood/sleeves and a washed silk/cotton lining:
thrash022.jpg

thrash023.jpg

thrash038adj.jpg
last 3 pictures taken by me

^ YOURS IS BETTER THAN THE MJ!!

i work at a fabric shop, and i always advise new sewers to go with a basic singer. they're generally around (sometimes under) $100 and i familiarizes you with all the basics. you'd only need a serger if you got into sportswear and knits IMHO. i think the best way to learn is all the old school finishing techniques personally and almost every single one can be done with just a straight and zig zag stitch. i dont care for all the automatic machines where you just press a button to change a stitch. with a basic model singer, you learn how to control tension and what stitches work with what materials.

But I want to just push a button! :woot::lol: Kidding. You're absolutely right. I think I will search out a Singer to start with (though the Audrey looks cool) but it will still have to be somewhat lightweight so I can lug it around.

No, I haven't tried different models in a shop b/c there's nothing like that where I am.
:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
i made this dress two years ago, for a school fashion show, and also the bag and the head detail! i always use dark colors, but that year i want to do a very romantic long dress!

I am currently working on a tailored jacket. I will try and post photos today. I just want to get this over with, seeing its a school project AND I really want to work on the tailored I wanted to use for the school project (seeing I wasn't allowed)

I don't know if I'm posting in the right thread, or if anyone can help me, but I'm sewing jersey and I'm going to need to use a twin needle to hem some of it.
My problem is that my sewing machine (Brother) only has a 1 thread spool pin when you need two for a twin needle. Does anyone think I can wind a bobbin and put it where you would normally wind it and use that as a second pin? (I don't know if I'm making any sense)

platinumpink
The problem with placing the second spool there (if you're using a bobbin) is that the spool will not wind when you start sewing; the thread will just snap if you use a bobbin as your secondary thread. I would use a regular spool to place it there, that way the thread will not snap. Do keep in mind, however, that this may mess up the tension in the second thread when sewing something like jersey.

Is there not a hole on your machine to place the second spindle thing? if there is a hole, I would look into purchasing a second spindle (they're rather inexpensive). Or just shove a thin rod into the hole as a make-shift spindle. If there is no hole, you can make-shift one out of household products like a CD spindle (that is if your spool of thread is the same calibre as serger thread).

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your help arthur-aleksandr. My machine doesn't have a hole, but I'm going to try cd spindle idea *thumbs up*

Hey girls i was wondering if you guys have any tips of how to go about sewing ruffles as large as these? How are the ruffles kept so voluminous and in place?

00410m.jpg
00230m.jpg
00260m.jpg

I'm trying to recreate something very similar to this, so how is it done?

rs8vhc.jpg

Thanks!
source: net-a-porter & style.com

Hey girls i was wondering if you guys have any tips of how to go about sewing ruffles as large as these? How are the ruffles kept so voluminous and in place?

I'm trying to recreate something very similar to this, so how is it done?

Thanks!
source: net-a-porter & style.com

i would say they are bias cut ruffles. especially the ones in the picture in the middle...

I would love to turn this (dirty, sorry :blush:) wedges:

into something similar to these lovely shoes:

(style.com)

I want to buy some nude tone of cloth (what material should I choose, btw?) and make the stripes and also cover the heel with it - or maybe paint it??, but I don't know how am I suppose to apply it... :unsure: Anyone knows how can I find a tutorial on how to sew on shoes? I don't even know if that's possible. And if it isn't, what alternative method do I have? Some kind of special glue?

Would love to get help! :flower: Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks!

In the first pic the ruffles have a type of hard trim that keeps them in shape. The second picture, they are made of organza which is a nylon made fabric and its pretty rigid itself. And in the third picture the coat is made of wool and that fabric is thick and rigid too but sometimes they use a fusion fabric to make it more rigid, the middle one obviously doesnt have one because it is transparent.

All of these have to be cut on the bias as someone said before. The dress you want to recreate doesnt need to have them cut on the bias, just plain strips that are gather at one end and then placed across a tube dress, just make sure the fabric is some sort of cotton that isnt too flimsy and obviously not a knit or anything like that, i cant remember how that fabric is called at this very moment, and to add a piece of lace to the hem.Start to sew them on your dress from the bottom up, so the top layer covers the seam from the last one and so on until you reach the very top and then just hem it or add the lining.

in regards to the ruffle question: a lot of the time they use fishing line thread to roll-hem the bias ruffles which in turn gives them the structure at the edges :tup:

im currently working on a green wool coat, a rust cape and a few bias cut dresses...i'll post pics when i get them done

jun3machina, they sound like they'll be awesome, especially the cape! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->