Sex and the City 2

^ Just see it! :flower:

The movie has a lot of layers to it... I think they had a lot to say... initially I was upset by the movie, but my fiance explained why he felt it was really good. And perhaps my expectations were way too high. It's funny how my perspective has changed a bit. But still, I'm not sure, but it just wasn't as great as I was hoping, fluff and fashion and all.

I guess part of the over-the-top aspect of it was sort of a tribute to Old Hollywood...

Maybe the part that bugs me the most is some of the more "lame" parts... there were a few in SATC the series, but more early on than in the later seasons...

I'll tell you, though... the 2.5 hours flew by... if that means anything. It was absolutely entertaining, I can tell you that! And to see the revival of the newspaper dress was a delight.

And those scenes where they were dressed from the 80s? It didn't turn out to be nearly as bad in the movie.. in case you were wondering. :wink:

I saw it this morning... the theater was a half full...

I was underwhelmed. I'm not even sure where to start with all my beefs. And this is coming from a major SATC fan... Of course, I did enjoy some of the fashion. Some.

I saw it on Wednesday at Midnight when it came out in the U.S.A. following with my tradition after seeing the first one at the same time when it came out in May of 2008!

The first thing that shocked me was the lack of people at the screening. When I saw Sex and the City: The Movie when it came out, the theatre was so packed that people were offering to buy standing seats but were turned away. This time around in 2010, the theatre was empty with only about 40 people out of hundreds of seats.

And like you, Erin, I don't even want to get into my many aggravations with the film. I laughed a total of two times.

1.) When the four of them were walking through the desert prior to getting on the camels following their outfit changes courtesy of "Paula Abdul." I couldn't help but laugh at Miranda's frock because it was just so outrageously bad and just the fact that her character actually thought she looked good.

2.) When the man chased after Samantha believing she stole her ostrich Birkin from the sketchy room, he broke it and set her off into a frenzy of screaming profanities, giving the middle finger, and yelling "condoms! condoms!" around the group of many angry Indian men.

Also coming from a devotion of years and years of Sex and the City watching, I wanted to just ask Michael Patrick King, how could you do this to me? The script was definitely lackluster and didn't coincide with the first film or the series very much in terms of humor and clothing choices. I'm just surprised, and maybe I have to see it again to enjoy it. Who knows?

I was expecting more drama, more laughing, more love, more amazing fashion. Like I said, maybe I'll see it again to get a second opinion. :unsure:

As I said, I liked the movie very much. But it was not as good as the tv shows..

I was expecting more drama, more laughing, more love, more amazing fashion. Like I said, maybe I'll see it again to get a second opinion. :unsure:

I think rewatching it will help... Once I rewatched the first, I was much more enamored by it.

I can't believe how awful the reviews for it have been. One in the Evening Standard basically called it the worst movie of the year, that they were all sluts, and that it was it was perhaps the shallowest film in history.

It's by no means as succesful a film as the first, but I greatly enjoyed it. It was smart and funny, and it looked amazing. That's exactly what I want from this type of film. It's not trying to change the world, or offer up some Oscar winning drama. I liked it a lot.

I havent seen it yet! I must must must watch it tonight!

I just saw the film yesterday. One thing I really disliked was I felt a real disconnection from the characters. Charlotte and Carrie were such b***s throughout the movie. Miranda seemed a little off as well, it just didn't feel like her. Samantha was the best thing about the movie. And there were a couple odd singing numbers in the film such as Liza singing "All the Single ladies, put a ring on it" and a karaoke scene where the four ladies sang. The men were barley shown except for Aidan, whom she kissed, and Big. The first movie was just better in every way. The fashion was underwhelming, no skirt suit could hide Charlotte's *edit - no weight talk* thighs, and Carrie looked frumpy as usual. Unless you're dying to see it I would wait till it comes out on video. And one more thing, Noah Mills only had one line "I lay concrete" then Samantha has her way with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Well, I didn't think it was that terrible...

I wouldn't call Charlotte and Carrie "b****s" ... And though I agree about Miranda, we have to remember the circumstances and how she must have felt freedom at the time of their vacation. But agree, the giddiness of Miranda was a bit much.

Now I'm thinking I could give the movie another try (in theaters, again).

And I agree... the whole Liza thing... OVERDONE.

Saw the film for the second time yesterday. I have to say, after watching it again, I enjoyed it much better.

It still doesn't coincide with the first movie and series in regards to humor, style, sex, and love, but I'm just going to have to get over that!

The movie, all in all, is a fun vacation film. It does fly by after watching it the second time, but it really isn't that humorous or fashionable. I'm sad but I would watch again just for that Dior newspaper moment, and for Samantha's many antics!

I just saw it last night and I really liked it a lot! I lol'd (really out loud) like every five minutes and thought there was plenty of visual stimulation from the costumes, sets, and men. I went into it without high expectations though. I just really wanted to see it bc I love SATC and I am just a fan of the girls and the shows and everything so there is no way I wasn't gonna see it.

But I also didn't approach it critically or try to compare it to the last movie or the shows. It was just really fun to watch. And I did hear that it got lots of really bad reviews and my response to that is those reviewers just don't "get" SATC and probably aren't the target audience and shouldn't have wasted their time watching it in the first place.

I saw it with my mom and we both enjoyed but I think I enjoyed it more. I had to explain a lot of things to her like what a Birkin was and why I was gasping so much when the man broke it.:ninja:

Also I really enjoyed the corny singing numbers and thought the karoke song they chose was so cute! But I can handle corny parts b/c although I love SATC I don't think you're supposed to really take any of it seriously. Idk. I enjoy it all and didn't think there were any parts that were boring or hard to watch. It was fun entertainment and I didn't expect to see an oscar-worthy heart-wrenching film. This is kind of movie is like junk food, just really delicious junk food.^_^

Since I was a faithful and satisfied SATC viewer when it was a series, I will see this movie although I have a feeling it will suck like the first movie did. I am a big SATC fan from when it was a hit TV show and I have all the seasons on dvd. for some reason the movies seemed to go the opposite direction of what I and many viewers were used to in the girls. In this movie, I think going to Morroco (Abu Dabi in the film) is a big NO NO! why take the girls from the city. some of the most boring episodes on SATC was when they left home ie, the LA episode. NYC is actually a CHARACTER in the show along with the fashion, so it's like killing off a beloved castmember! I know I don't have to see the movie but I've been in it for this long, plus I want to see what happens when Aidan and Carrie meet again, and you know I'm in it for the fashion, of course :wink:

Well didn't Sarah say that this one was meant to be a "romp"? Totally fun and fashionable. Not too serious?

I loved it.

I saw it today at 9.30 am. The cinema was empty. I loved it. The critics take things too seriously. It is never going to win an Oscar but as far as takings & DVD sales I am sure it will topple any Oscar nominated film. This is a film for die hard Sex & the City fans and fashion lovers not stuffy old film critics. It was fun, frivolous and a fashion feist. The 1st one was way too serious, this was more light hearted just what we need in these tough times. Samantha is the queen of the one liners my favourite refering to the beard she would grow when her hormones were confiscated at the airport. Stamford & Antonys wedding was camper than a row of tents but fabulous. Mr Big was as handsome as ever. The fashion was extravagant and fabulous. Again there was no story line which was good as it leaves it open for a third film.

I dont wanna read any review of the movie yet. Im watching it on this Friday.

I LOVED IT! I laughed so hard. Samantha was the movie I mean how fabulous is she? The fashion was good as usual (and I was beyond excited when I saw the newspaper dress) and even though they did away with Manolos I was excited to see a diversity of shoes, they even had Charlotte Olympias if I remember correctly. The set was so extravagant and beautiful it was literally breathtaking and I actually really liked Liza's part, I thought it was funny and very cute. Screw the critics, they always ruin movies for people that read their reviews.

Am I the only one who absolutely hated it? :huh:

I know it was "for fun" but some parts, I felt, were borderline politically incorrect.

I watched it today on cheap night. I wasn't going to spend regular price on this. lol. I thought the movie was ok.

Sam- Her jokes are so tired. It didn't flow and was too much. She should know better not to act like that.

Carrie- SJP needs to stop tanning. She looked older than everybody else. I couldn't believe how rough she looked.

Miranda -was my favorite and best dressed. She looked incredible at the wedding and everywhere. I just loved her in this movie.

Mr. Big- He looked delicious. Soo sexy. I wouldn't complain staying home with him.

I was really excited to see the movie, I just hate how most of the fabulous clothes were predictable for me because I've seen them all aready in magazines and online photos of filming, too in advance of the movie!
Anyways, for me the movie wasn't as great as the first, it felt like an old over-extended episode of SATC which I've seen already. The sets were breath taking though, 'Abu Dhabi' aka Morocco was incredible, and I did quite a lot of cringing when Samantha was so brazen in a culture which upholds ultimate conservatism and strict modesty laws.. The clothes and accessories were fabulous, Samantha was hilarious (except around men, when she loses all manner of speech and all she can do is coo in her over-acting manner), but I was so very bored by Carrie & Big's story line. snooooooooore.......

Saw it Saturday..

The movie is lacking in storyline...but if you go see it mainly to find out what Pat Field has conjured up.. then the movie is passable.

I wished the 80s flashback at the beginning had been longer eg.. that we would have gotten to actually see their first encounter.. rather than just what they wore..

I'm pleased that there were a Charlotte-Miranda scene.. I don't recall those who ever having a scene together.

I hated the 'I am Woman' scene - it reaked of 'aren't we just fabulous ..lets make the movie into a musical!'

The whole movie theater roared in Copenhagen when 'the danish architect Rikard Spirt' was introduced :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xvtvi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->