The Best & Worst Catwalkers

The best catwalkers from the 2000s imo (ofc I am not going to rank them bc all of them have their points!)
Mariacarla Boscono - She is strong, intense, fierce yet cool, her foot is extremely stable. She had a really nice walk when she started in the 90s as well but I don't like her early seasons of stomping before SS 2004 except a handful moments. Her shoulders move with a ballerina's poise. She's a versatile walker, she mostly goes fast but she's aware of her movements bc the stops, turns, crossing of legs are precise and on point.
Caroline Trentini - Has the fiercest gallop in the business. Like Mariacarla, she is able to attract all the attention to herself from head to toe.
Tanya Dziahileva - Her walk is like a perfect blend of Mariacarla and Daria Werbowy. Probably the most fluid horse walk.
Vlada Roslyakova - Her pixie walk is addictive. I love both the phases of her walk, the lean back stomp before SS 2008 and the float walk afterwards.
Yulia Kharlapanova - She's so powerful, like Trentini and Mariacarla her presence is incredible.
Karolina Kurkova - She's slow but she knows what she's doing. She has this very royal aura around her while walking and her poses and turns are very chic and clean.
Eugenia Volodina - Her leg movement is unreal and I have always loved her signature 'knee-out' turn.
Olga Sherer - Her walk is comparatively toned down than others but never underwhelming. She's fierce, poised, sophisticated and her poses incredible.
Raquel Zimmermann - She's very professional, she tries to adapt her walk according to the type of label she walks for. Even though all of her walks don't work, her best moments are incredible.
Daria Werbowy - She's often called boring and she does have a few moments when she looked uninterested but I really enjoy her usually. It's simple, elegant and I love the little smile she does before looking over her shoulder.
Carmen Kass - She's so sexy, slinky, feline and powerful, those eyes and smirk could kill. Sometimes I don't like her arms and her walk tends to be a little messy but she simply sells.
Gisele Bundchen - She has a very powerful sometimes intimidating presence without coming off as bitchy. Sometimes her leg crossing can be messy like Carmen but without that her walk is destructive and ofc she's the inventor.
Kasia Struss - I love her speedy sharp walk and swaying hips but sometimes her arms can be a bit too much.
Maryna Linchuk - She's super intense. Her walk is a lot better when stomping full force. When she tones it down, it mostly looks like she's skipping or dragging herself. Still fierce though.
Anja Rubik - The arms are lopsided but it's still such a strong fierce walk. Sometimes it could be too slow.
Michelle Alves - That Dior FW 2003 opening!! One of the most impactful walks but sometimes her barely-there hip movement can make it underwhelming.
And the last.... I love seeing Sasha Pivovarova on the runway, she really has the best runway face. Her walk is inconsistent but always fierce and so cool!

Other great catwalkers that I couldn't remember at the moment :
Viviane Orth - The only bad thing about her walk is her extreme heel twisting that doesn't look very flattering from behind.
Natalia Semanova - She's so unbelievably poised, very feminine, smooth and relaxing walk but like Gisele and Carmen a bit messy sometimes.
Serafima Vakulenko - This criminally underrated girl from Russia, mostly saw her in Dior shows.
Fernanda Tavares - Her leg and arms sometimes move a bit weird but she brings so much energy, personality and extra factor to the runway.

Alek Wek can have an amazing walk but sometimes it's kinda shaky, Adut has this problem too sometimes. Ai Tominaga has amazing poses but sometimes her walk is boring to me. Ujjwala Raut, Nicola Breytenbach, Katia Kokoreva had good walks but they didn't always work the same. I have mixed opinions of Colette Pechekhonova's walk. I have seen some perfect moments from her. But otherwise her foot twisted a lot and not a very clean walk.

This must've been brought up at some point but somehow I ended up watching Chanel S/S 1995 and literally laughed out loud at 8:40 :lol:.. she dethroned for me the worst catwalk model I had ever seen (until her) and who just happened to walk right before her, Trish Goff.

It took me a minute to realise you weren’t referring to Brandi Quinones, who might have the most manic catwalk I’ve ever seen. Her hip movements were so violent, like her acetabula could have exploded spontaneously.

Nominating Karlie Kloss for the worst spot. I hate her leg movement, her arm movement, her hand placement (you are not Vlada, sorry!) and she always has out toe gait going on. Her walk looks especially bad from the side like leg stretching competition. A lot of models start with out toe gait, infact most people naturally have that going on but they fix it. She can barely walk in a straight line. It always annoys me the way she acted in HC shows, her so called theatrics.

This must've been brought up at some point but somehow I ended up watching Chanel S/S 1995 and literally laughed out loud at 8:40 :lol:.. she dethroned for me the worst catwalk model I had ever seen (until her) and who just happened to walk right before her, Trish Goff.

Are you talking about Rosemary Wetzel's walk?

This one!
walk.jpg
[screencapped by me from video above]

That's gotta be Brandi right?.. I don't know but LOL'ed again when trying to do the screenshot :lol:.. I know times have changed but that's just soo child beauty pageant now. Did her walk get more refined eventually? I vaguely remember her (I was a child around this time), she's gorgeous.. but yeah, even on the catwalk, that screams delusional hot s*it complex, especially around models of those years who were naturally sensual.

This one!
View attachment 1171407
[screencapped by me from video above]

That's gotta be Brandi right?.. I don't know but LOL'ed again when trying to do the screenshot :lol:.. I know times have changed but that's just soo child beauty pageant now. Did her walk get more refined eventually? I vaguely remember her (I was a child around this time), she's gorgeous.. but yeah, even on the catwalk, that screams delusional hot s*it complex, especially around models of those years who were naturally sensual.

yeah, that’s Brandi.

^^That runway show was already chaos, but the way Brandi bobs and weaves past all the other models with her Cha Cha DiGregorio walk is hysterical.

It was actually Rosemary Wetzel I thought you were referring to though. If you cut to 17:51 you can contrast how bad Brandi and Rosemarys’ walks are with Naomi.

^ there are things from those days that I watch in videos and immediately make me think 'aw, I wish it was still like that'.. like those audiences from Yohji Yamamoto shows that are actually watching the shows and in the moment and not living it through their iphone camera, or clapping, which is the default expression of gratitude from a multitude.. but then I look at shows like that Chanel one and.. I don't even mind the messy aspect (I feel like it goes well with the exuberance of that decade), it's the horny men yelling like it's a strip club in some parts of the show or 'ooh lalalalalala' and panting when the model turns around in a thong that makes me glad things seem to have evolved towards a slightly more respectful territory.

This is so random but I had a flashback of the Spring/Summer 2013 runway season recently and I thought of all the models that had their breakthrough, like Esther Heesch, Juliana Schurig, Ondria Hardin, Magdalena Jasek, etc. And it made me watch some videos from that season and wow, were their walks either awful or just boring. It seems like most of those models who became popular that season didn't last, including the models already mentioned and Tilda Lindstam, Kayley Chabot, and Marine Deleeuw (she had a bit of a comeback a few years ago but then faded again). Idk what happened that season but so many girl with no pizzazz made it big and then just faded a few seasons later, which was to be expected. At least at that time girls like Kasia Struss, Daria Strokous, Andreea Diaconu, etc. were still strutting their stuff on the runway, it made up for it a bit!

I love Kasia but I looks so odd when she puts her hands on her hips while walking. Makes her look stiff.

Feeling like I want to revive this thread ! ^_^

I was learning about fashion and the industry at the beginning of the 2000’s, I’d consume fashion shows religiously. It was the norm, as opposed to the exception, for the women to be able to walk (and pose) and do it well. You could easily know who was walking from far away even. I grew up with the standard being Gisele Bundchen, Carmen Kass, Caroline Ribeiro, Natalia Semanova, and the rest of those women. Now, it seems the bar is so low that we’re praising the most mediocre of models and, to be honest, I barely know any of this new crop of models.

Times change and some of the « stomping » from the era wouldn’t look right at the moment, but so many of these girls either under do it or overdo it. I love, love, love Binx Walton because she is solid. I also adore Imaan Hammam.

If you got to cast your ideal show full of your best walkers/posers, who is on the list ? Please include some from this new generation because I’d love to learn some new names and faces.

^^^ Not sure that there are enough solid walkers to make up a cast these days LOL Lineisy Montero is always a pleasure to watch. She possesses such an effortless air when she walks: She’s quiet, natural and simply cool. She doesn’t overdo it nor does she look like she doesn’t want to be there.

^^^ Not sure that there are enough solid walkers to make up a cast these days LOL Lineisy Montero is always a pleasure to watch. She possesses such an effortless air when she walks: She’s quiet, natural and simply cool. She doesn’t overdo it nor does she look like she doesn’t want to be there.

Hahaha :rofl:
You’re right ! I really don’t know who these new girls are. No one seems dynamic enough. Even someone like Anja Rubik, he seems like she’s in slow motion all the time (I love her), is more dynamic. Malika Louback is becoming a favourite of mine.

It’s funny, Natasha Poly’s first few seasons were not my favourite. Something about her walk and presence felt overdone, just like Mariacarla in her first seasons. MCB really was doing the MOST in her first few years, especially her end of runway posing. But as they both aged and their walk became more chill and seasoned, I grew to love them.

Versace FW 2002 was the first full fashion show I stumbled upon on some website and it remains one of the gold standards of modeling in my mind. Sure, I could have done without a few (Amber !), but it was so good. I could see only a handful of girls today be able to pull this type of show off.

Best: Gisele, Carmen, Natasha, Raquel, Karolina K
Worst: Lara Stone, Kristen M, Kirsten Owen
When it comes to the new generation I can't think of any model that would impress me with her walk. Vittoria has few good moments but that's it. On the opposite I have to mention Selena Forrest and that clown Sofia Steinberg. They are awful.

Cara Taylor has the best walk in this generation. I agree that Sofia Steinberg and Selena Forrest are horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionblogger30000
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->