Valentino for the Gap

even the sound of it is quite hilarious! Some brands need to mantain that exclusivity...one of the appeals of Valentino is the fact that it is not a high street brand that you can easily afford, everyday women save money to buy that exclusive Valentino bag and it always feels like such an achievement. i wonder what Mr Valentino thinks of this. Am guessing that the next step is Prada for Walmart

I honestly giggled. It sounds like a joke. but it isn't. Not that i'm a big fan of what valentino has become, but this is hilarious.

Just when i thought there could be anything worst that SJP for the Gap (and their Pretty khaki) ... I wonder how the Gap customer will feel about the Valentino Red :s

Ugh, it's like there's just no appreciation for fine fashion anymore
No, because you can only appreciate "fine" fashion if you can afford it...:blink:

There has been nothing "fine" about the last few Valentino collections, so they need to get some attention. I don't think sales have been very good, and they have to earn a living (unfortunately we're the ones who have to look at it :rofl:)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Anyone know how sales have been at Valentino? When I was shopping the other night I came across a blouse with that 'handbag rose' slapped on the front of it :lol: Perhaps the Gucci woman is expanding her horizons ... :innocent:

this could be interesting....valentino and gap...high fashion meets basics...wonder what will come of this...

I know right next will be Chanel for Forever 21 and Dior for Charlette Russe lol

the funny part about that statement though: forever 21 girls wear chanel. charlotte russe girls WEAR dior. sure, it's sunglasses. it's perfume. it's make up. it's bags (in some cases). but honestly, gap customers are not fashion customers for the most part. gap isn't known as a "fast fashion" by any stretch of the imagination. in fact, the only time they even remotely attract the fashion crowd is with their collaborations with new york designers.

is gap perceived differently in other countries? perhaps it's like sisley/bennetton is viewed here? i don't know.

I think you've hit the nail on the head a bit there personally. Gap IS perceived differently in other companies. For us here in the UK Gap hasn't been around since the 60's.. so it's not like we saw it as being a staple for jeans etc for jeans. To me Gap is the place I would go to if I want relaxed, easy fashion. The trends are still there, and the fashion pieces are definitely still there. Here we don't really get too much of the Gap logo pieces, or the hoodies, tops etc. We get a nice selection, and it does well press wise. The more trend lead pieces always get featured a lot.

To me anyway, Gap isn't perceived the same way, and it doesn't operate the same way. There's a really different feeling to the US Gap stores and the UK and some European Gap stores for sure.

^maybe they've hit on something then. it would definitely be a hard slog here in the US.

I meant other countries there, not other companies. Duh. Not to mention the other typos in that post there. Geez. I shouldn't type and watch live feeds of shows at the same time. Ha.

I see that there are a lot of negative opinions here. I won't make any judgement until I see it, but I do believe that this can turn out well if done the right way. To me, it sounds interesting enough and I'll definitely go to Gap stores to see it and maybe buy something. However, I'll reserve judgement for later.

No, because you can only appreciate "fine" fashion if you can afford it...:blink:

There has been nothing "fine" about the last few Valentino collections, so they need to get some attention. I don't think sales have been very good, and they have to earn a living

Um, no you don't :huh: Fashion can be appreciated whoever you are. In fact one could argue that it's more appreciable BECAUSE we can't afford it.
Actually Valentino's sales for its S/S 2010 were quite good, not sure about the latest though.

(unfortunately we're the ones who have to look at it :rofl:)

Exactly. I don't want to see a fashion house so iconic and prestigious like Valentino get chucked in the same pile as Gap. Gap barley qualifies as fashion to be honest.

Um, no you don't :huh: Fashion can be appreciated whoever you are. In fact one could argue that it's more appreciable BECAUSE we can't afford it.
Actually Valentino's sales for its S/S 2010 were quite good, not sure about the latest though.

Exactly. I don't want to see a fashion house so iconic and prestigious like Valentino get chucked in the same pile as Gap. Gap barley qualifies as fashion to be honest.

i actually agree with this. also, one has to remember, for these big houses, the aspirational collections target those who cannot afford it so that they can get that consumer's purchase with fragrance, beauty, sunglasses, handbags, etc. sure, you can't afford the $2k lace-front t-shirt. but you'll dole out $60 for their latest eau de parfum.

re: gap. seriously, gap (from my time....and i'm showing my age here) recalls grey t-shirts, khaki pants, and a jean jacket. that's the iconic gap look. how in the world will one appropriate valentino into that?!

My feelings are conflicted -- on one hand, I certainly have my share of someDesigner for someFastFashionCo., so it would be hypocritical of me to say that I'm saddened or disappointed. On the other hand, these collaborations dilute the real deal and make the signature pieces less covetable (to me, anyway). I find that the more collaborations there are, the less thrill there is (for me) for any fashion. Designer collaborations make me feel tired and burnt-out sometimes. That said, I'll probably still check this out. Will I buy? Don't know. I can say that I find myself buying less and less fashion of any kind and it's not an economy thing.

I don't know when the last time you walked into Gap was, but TBH, I find that there are some nice clothes in there. Sure, they have a lot of basics, but they do have other things too. Ruffled dresses and blouses, shirts with beaded details on the side, etc.
I'm not saying it's a hugely prestigious brand, but does it really need to be to collaborate with a high fashion label? Isn't bringing something new to a brand the whole point of collaborations (aside from obvious financial and marketing reasons)? Gap is not the epitome of expensive, but it's not a dingy pile of nothing either. Maybe not in the same way as Valentino, but Gap is iconic and it's a household name which sells relaxed, but wearable and classy clothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefashionfetishist
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->