Valentino for the Gap

the funny part about that statement though: forever 21 girls wear chanel. charlotte russe girls WEAR dior. sure, it's sunglasses. it's perfume. it's make up. it's bags (in some cases).

... I hope your joking, do you really think you can compare girls who are shoppers of forever 21 and Charlotte russe to clients of chanel and dior? Yes they may wear the sunglasses and perfume but it is a completely different target market. The fact is that that brands like Chanel and Dior look out of place when paired with these mass market brands.

But I do wonder what the European market thinks and how it precives a brand like the Gap, maybe then we can figure out why these two think that this collaboration is such a good idea. Because honestly I think Valentino will loose its feeling of exclusivity, which I think is one reason we love or loved it so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know when the last time you walked into Gap was, but TBH, I find that there are some nice clothes in there. Sure, they have a lot of basics, but they do have other things too. Ruffled dresses and blouses, shirts with beaded details on the side, etc.
I'm not saying it's a hugely prestigious brand, but does it really need to be to collaborate with a high fashion label? Isn't bringing something new to a brand the whole point of collaborations (aside from obvious financial and marketing reasons)? Gap is not the epitome of expensive, but it's not a dingy pile of nothing either. Maybe not in the same way as Valentino, but Gap is iconic and it's a household name which sells relaxed, but wearable and classy clothing.

Sure, everything you said is true. That puts Gap and Valentino another millimeter closer, 99999999mm to go.
My point is these collaborations are playing with foundations that have been set decades ago.
I'm not saying Gap is crap, but it's about as far from Valentino a clothing brand can get.

I find that there are some nice clothes in there

That's my point. Gap is just "nice clothes". Valentino is so much more.

That's your opinion though, it's all relative.

Personally I don't like Valentino and never have. I think it's old and dreary for the most part. So to me it's not so much more.

... I hope your joking, do you really think you can compare girls who are shoppers of forever 21 and Charlotte russe to clients of chanel and dior? Yes they may wear the sunglasses and perfume but it is a completely different target market. The fact is that that brands like Chanel and Dior look out of place when paired with these mass market brands.

But I do wonder what the European market thinks and how it precives a brand like the Gap, maybe then we can figure out why these two think that this collaboration is such a good idea. Because honestly I think Valentino will loose its feeling of exclusivity, which I think is one reason we love or loved it so much.

i'm not joking at all. one can sit on a high horse if one must, but the market for chanel and dior cosmetics, fragrance, and eyewear shop at these mass market retailers. the looks they obtain from these fast-fashion retailers emulates high-fashion looks. it's not for the girl unconcerned with fashion. one might look on them with disdain in these forums, but they're bread-and-butter to a lot of these fashion houses. if you give the average forever 21 or charlotte russe customer ten thousand dollars and let them loose in a city like new york, i can guarantee they'd come back with something from one of these big fashion houses like chanel, dior, dolce, gucci, prada, et al. just because they can't afford them, doesn't mean they don't know about them.

i question whether the average gap shopper even knows/cares about valentino in any way.

Fashion does not exist in a vacuum and it's really time to stop acting like it does. All the hate in this thread is hilarious.

haha all the comments on this thread made me laugh.anyway i think it would be intersting or funny to see how things come out haha and I'll sure wait for Prada for Walmart and Chanel for forever 21 maybe then we could have mcqueen for levis?who knows :rolleyes:

if LANVIN could make it with H&M, the VALENTINO option with THE GAP will be a hit. in sales and in the public perception.

Ugh, it's like there's just no appreciation for fine fashion anymore. I know the economy isn't doing so brilliantly at the moment but there's just no room for the art of luxury anymore. Companies and businesses will sacrifice anything for money, even if it means diluting the prestige of a revolutionary fashion house like Valentino.

Looks like someone slept through the recession...

Sure, everything you said is true. That puts Gap and Valentino another millimeter closer, 99999999mm to go.
My point is these collaborations are playing with foundations that have been set decades ago.
I'm not saying Gap is crap, but it's about as far from Valentino a clothing brand can get.

That's my point. Gap is just "nice clothes". Valentino is so much more.

Okay, I agree that the difference is huge. However, I do not see this differece as something bad. I'll repeat that the point of this collab is for two brands to bring sometrhing new to each other. Lots of very high up brands have worked with not-so-high brands. Karl Lagerfeld has. Lanvin has. Why not Valentino?

if LANVIN could make it with H&M, the VALENTINO option with THE GAP will be a hit. in sales and in the public perception.

h +m is a fashion-minded retailer. gap is decidedly not as fashion-minded: they have the banana republic chain of stores to target that more fashion-minded customer.

i'm not joking at all. one can sit on a high horse if one must, but the market for chanel and dior cosmetics, fragrance, and eyewear shop at these mass market retailers. the looks they obtain from these fast-fashion retailers emulates high-fashion looks. it's not for the girl unconcerned with fashion. one might look on them with disdain in these forums, but they're bread-and-butter to a lot of these fashion houses. if you give the average forever 21 or charlotte russe customer ten thousand dollars and let them loose in a city like new york, i can guarantee they'd come back with something from one of these big fashion houses like chanel, dior, dolce, gucci, prada, et al. just because they can't afford them, doesn't mean they don't know about them.

i question whether the average gap shopper even knows/cares about valentino in any way.

It's an interesting question ... I don't know, but kimair might ...

I own some Valentino, and I don't shop at the Gap ... in the past their stuff hasn't fit me. I wanted some Gap Red (a particular appliqued shirt), and could never find the good stuff in stock/my size. I'd go into a store & they'd have 3 pieces to choose from :rolleyes: I have some BR things though. I have thought about going in & trying their new black pants line.

Oh, I forgot I do have some Gap Body that I wear around the house.

I completely agree! What is it with the finest fashion houses going mainstream lately?
Lanvin and Valentino make me dream because they are somewhat out of reach and their clothes are made of the finest fabrics and featured in the most beautiful editorials. But H&M? Gap? These moves make me appreciate the luxury brands a lot less. You can't sell your brand as being Couture and Gap at the same time :doh:
I wonder what Valentino Garavani thinks of this.

the reason for fine fashion going mainstream.... MONEY.

Thats why McQueen will always be #1. He did a line for Target.. but he stayed so divine and true to his art that no one can replace him. Miss u Lee :(

I personally agree with this. I am a forever 21 shopper and love their clothes. Given the quality isnt that great, and it is very mainstream and copycat.. its affordable and somewhat stylish.

They cater to mass markets. Consumers who want the trends on the runway but dont have 1500 dollars to spend on shoes and bags. I would TOTALLY spend money on quality clothing if i could afford it. In a heartbeat! I consider myself very knowledgeable about fashion and designers. Just because I shop at forever 21/ross/tj maxx or charlotte russe doesnt mean that I do not appreciate or know about fine fashion. If I had the money to spend on Mcqueen and Valentino and Jacobs.. believe me I would. Because the difference between Forever 21 clothing and designers like Mcqueen is so vast.. its indescribable.
They are artists. Not mass producing companies like Target/21 etc.

I am VERY curious to see what this collection looks like. There is potential for it to go horribly wrong OR to breathe life into a dying mid-range brand. We shall see...

for the record-
phoebe philo HAS designed for the gap...UK...
it was one of her consulting gigs she did in between her staff positions...
and yes- without a doubt gap UK is condsidered cooler than gap US...
ie- the roland mouret dresses were never sold in the US...only in the UK...
they used to have a completely different design team as well...

until patrick robinson took over...
and now this...

has anyone else noticed that patrick robinson has a track record of putting brands out of business...?

they don't just change designers, they shut DOWN...
ann klein, perry ellis, paco rabanne...
*i'm just saying...

:innocent:...

To be quite honest, its not about them not being able to afford garments from houses like dior chanel and, valentino the original point I was trying to make is that the clothes made by Valentino and the Gap are made for two completely different target markets. They cater to different types of women at different stages in life. Also Valentino is a brand that focuses on fashion and to pair that with the gap a company that is notI
focused mainly on fashion, it just does not mix. Im not trying to sound like a fashionelitist but pairing a couture house with a mass market company is not ok, even if that couture house does have mass market products such as perfume and hand bags.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if you think it's okay or not... They deem it to be a good idea. They don't believe they are going beneath themselves. Valentino the brand made their decision, and I'm pretty sure they know more than yourself, and the rest of us here. Why would they enter into something they believe would damage them? They don't take on these things lightly.

Besides, wait and see the collection before casting such dier light on the whole thing. This thread is filled with so many negative comments and assumptions? Why not just actually wait to see something before damning it...?

If people are attached to the values of the 'old' Valentino brand, by all means, they should express that. That version of the label was around for a long time, and despite how we're supposed to accept that fashion is on the move 24/7, I find there is a certain virtue in having less-changeable sentiments about some corners of it.

If it takes some time for people to unattach themselves from what Valentino meant to them, and to accept what's currently happening at the company, then time is what it takes. The accompanying negativity? To me, that seems a natural part of the process. The label wasn't ever really subject to alteration and such continuity was a major part of its identity, so the acceptance of the concept of change at Valentino - never mind the actual changes themselves - is something that needs to be worked through.

So I understand the misgivings people have about the direction of the label, doubts which aren't going to be dispelled for many seasons - which must seem like an eternity of complaint to some. But we all move at a different pace. Both Valentino and the people viewing these events.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if you think it's okay or not... They deem it to be a good idea. They don't believe they are going beneath themselves. Valentino the brand made their decision, and I'm pretty sure they know more than yourself, and the rest of us here. Why would they enter into something they believe would damage them? They don't take on these things lightly.

Besides, wait and see the collection before casting such dier light on the whole thing. This thread is filled with so many negative comments and assumptions? Why not just actually wait to see something before damning it...?

Frankly I think Valentino has the up side of the deal. Granted, the Gap's cool factor is a little low, but generally these mass market deals (H&M, Target) have a significant cool factor. Karl, Stella, Alber, Vera Wang ... the list of who's done it is who's who in fashion.

But I'm not sure you can argue that Valentino knows what they're doing, given that they have their accessory designers working on everything up to & including couture :innocent:

I wonder what Valentino Garavani thinks of this.

My guess is that he probably hates the idea!

I personally do not like Gap and its style.

Having said that, this collaboration of high end designers with affordable brands is a good idea. The whole notion of exclusive luxury stuff never appealed to me. I just don't need that to feel good. All that matters is that an item is aesthetically pleasing. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamballe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->