Warm boots for winter that aren't Uggs?

and Borns:

46772-d.jpg

both from zappos.com.

Not sure which pair I'll keep or maybe both.. :wink:[/quote]

I got these last year in brown. They are quite nice and toasty. I usually tuck my jeans in nonchalantly B) for a super cool look. I don`t know if the color will be good though through the slush...My brown ones look quite decent after last year`s snow....:flower:

Yasmin said:
^ The first thing I thought of was Santa's elves, but in a cute way (it could have been glancing at the word "Santana" in part though.)

ahahah you should see the red ones then, you'll really be thinking of Santa!

hey, i just bought the 'santa's elves' shoes'! lol. it got them about a week and half ago. i got the brown one's too..i like them they seem to be a nice alternative to uggs but still have the fur lining inside. have you sprayed them with anything extra? i have - i don't always trust that waterproof stuff and it's real suede so salt that be really damaging.

What spray do you use, ms prissy? Or anyone? how do you take care of your leather and suede?

ms_prissy said:
hey, i just bought the 'santa's elves' shoes'! lol. it got them about a week and half ago. i got the brown one's too..i like them they seem to be a nice alternative to uggs but still have the fur lining inside. have you sprayed them with anything extra? i have - i don't always trust that waterproof stuff and it's real suede so salt that be really damaging.
I haven't bought them yet, I'm still not sure what I'm doing. I do have to figure this out this week, before we get hit with more snow and all the other lovely things that come with Canadian winters.

The boots are Scotchguarded, right? I believe if you spray them with anything it voids the 1-year Waterproof guarantee ... but I could be wrong. Better to be warm and dry without a warranty than cold and wet with a warranty anyways!

For suede I use a general protectant spray from Danier Leather. Anything silicone free is safe for use on both leather and suede. You have to be careful of the sprays sold in shoe stores, I know there are a few stores around here still selling sprays containing silicone. Silicone acts as a barrier rather than a protector, so the skin/hide can't breathe, and thus will lose it's finish and often lose color as well.

Oh and to clean suede, you need a suede brush. There will be one side of the brush for cleaning the suede, and another for combing it back to normal. It sounds kinda ludicrous, but these things really do work. Even if you have salt embeded in the suede, the brush will work it out and your suede will look much better.

On my leather boots and coats though I use a cream/lotion rather than a spray, it moisturizes the skin (just like lotion we use on our own skin) and acts as a protective barrier. Lotions are available from most fine leather retailers, and they will have 'safe spray' as well. The only time I recommend using a spray on leather is if you have used leather polish and need to reseal the finish (this way the color won't come off when you clean the leather).

I'm not sure about the warrantee being voided if you spray it. I must say though...i'm no good with warrantees in general - too confusing. Oh yeah and by the way if you or anyone else is planning on getting these make sure you hop over to the the Bay they're having a 30% sale on these shoes. I believe Town Shoes has them for $175 while at the Bay I paid about $115 (I think that was including tax..it's been a while). They might be sold out but definitely worth the savings to check it out!

Oh yeah, and about the sprays, keta, you're spot on - silicone sprays are not the most effective - the spray i used was silicone free :smile:.

Yasmin said:
gruvee I saw those boots in person today (The Alice)
....I don't like how the camel boot is two-tone (the leg is spotty or faded something, while the foot is a pure shade of camel). If I will get them I'll get the same pair as you (black)

hiya

that's odd.... when i saw the camel at Suzanne, it wasn't spotty/faded. :shock: dunno what's up with that.

i tested the difference on a milder day with my regular boots (on those previous warmer days) and i definitely felt colder on a milder day with my regular boots vs. feeling warmer on a cold day with my La Canadienne.

It's kinda weird b/c i don't FEEL the cold like i normally do.... a -12C doesn't feel like what i know -12C to be... so i have to readjust - in a good way. :P

Whatever boots you decide to get, have fun! There are some nice ones in this thread as well. *sigh* wish i was loaded so i could get several kinds... since i'm not, i remain thrilled with my 'Alice'.
:flower:

trashville518.gif

pic from goodgoth.com
I wear these!! Haha. They have a 3.5" heel (I'm 5"1 so I like heels).. I live in upstate and even though they're not really padded or anything (they're a little padded) they keep my feet really warm because they're extremely waterproof and I can stomp throw snow that's almost up to my knees without really gettting cold or wet.

Most people find them too "extreme" to really wear though... But I love them!

^ doesn't look half-bad.

once i got a pair of Sorel's one year and it immediately leaked AND my feet ended up being cold and wet the whole time. :angry: never bought Sorel again.
maybe i got a bad boot that time.

keta, thanks for the info :smile:

cardboardboxed, I have a secret fetish for buckled knee boots but my coworkers just wouldn't understand :smile: I prefer a chunky heel though over a platform. Not like there is a wide selection of buckled knee boots out there... :D (I've actually never seen a pair without a platform, they could have a combination chunky heel+platform but the toes are always "elevated" it seems...)

gruvee, maybe the one I was looking at was flawed in some way. But then, it makes me think that maybe the boots are prone to losing their color, at least the camel ones? I guess with the black there must be a way to darken them again, isn't there? Can you put shoe polish on black suede?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some things in my wardrobe I will not give up, no matter how many people trash it.

Uggs. Are. Snug.

I don't wear them out to 5-star restaurants, but when I'm not feeling well and my face is puffy, who'm I gonna grab? Uggies. They cheer me up. It must be the soft, squashy feeling I get when I slip my toesies in them. (I say squashy and not squishy because I looked it up and it means soft and wet, which Uggs are like, definitely not.) ^_^

So yeah. Go Uggers.

I know... I bought a pair of pink knock-off UGGs from Delias (ironically... maybe I'll buy their t-shirt to match...) a LOOOONG time ago. They are so comfortable! How can something that's so wrong feel so right?

I agree that the new, narrower cut, lace-up and zip-up UGGs are do-able for this year, but I'm leery.

These have a lot of the benefits of UGGs but don't quite scream "fashion victim" in the same way. They come in 6 colors and only cost $39.50! From llbean.com
M43301_Granite.jpg

I actually really like some of llbean.com's winter boots. Very old school preppy. These claim to be good in up to -20 degree weather! I think they're actually supercute tied down.
M43281_Brown_Brown.jpg

I live in VA, so we get plenty pf slush, but nothing too cold. I'm thinking of getting these and maybe even wearing them with skirts and tights.
M19068_Tan_Navy.jpg

I like the j-crew version, too.

Yasmin said:
gruvee, maybe the one I was looking at was flawed in some way. But then, it makes me think that maybe the boots are prone to losing their color, at least the camel ones? I guess with the black there must be a way to darken them again, isn't there? Can you put shoe polish on black suede?

allo.... maybe yeah those particular camels were flawed.
i've been seriously kicking around with my blacks, even in the salt and mud etc and it's still good (as it should be) - the salt's not setting in at all.

eventually i'd like to oil the shoe portion to protect the leather.

i'd assume that one can put shoe polish on... somehow? erm... i'd ask a cobbler first though.

Military boots are hot. I know it sounds lame on men but I tuck my pants into my slouchy military boots. ^_^

and I love equestrian boots on women. something in the vein of

fw05_gu_147474_CA070_2019-full.jpg

440334501B_2.jpg

top is gucci, bottom is costume national

or you can go cowgirl style. These are from Frye:
FRYEB1001213711-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member