What Magazines Have You Bought/Received Recently?

LibertyRose

memoirs of a...
Reaction score
On a whim I wrote this...

Fashionzine Ratings

UK Vogue: the Bible
Paris Vogue: used to be the Bible
US Vogue: thinks of itself as the Bible
Vogue Italia: supermodel training ground monopolized by Steven Meisel
US Elle: B-list model training ground monopolized by Gilles Bensimon
W: the poor/hip/"artsy" little sister to the snobby, rich big sister US Vogue
Harper's Bazaar: Bible on decline
Nylon: Bible alternative
I-D: Bible alternative but with more dough

For April magazines...

*US Vogue: (Gwen Stafani) The cover is horrendous, but lovely editorials with Hana & Jasmine (Ph: Steven Meisel) and Daria & Isabeli (Mario Testino).
*UK Vogue: (Gemma Ward & Lily Cole) Doesn't have the strongest editorials (Daria, Jacquetta Wheeler, etc), but an enjoyable read as always.
*IT Flair: (Gisele Bundchen) Lackluster except for a wonderful Gisele spread by Michael Thompson
*IT Vogue: (Lydia Hearst) Awful cover, boring editorials waste talented models (Eugenia Volodina, Maria Carla Boscono, etc.)
*Nylon: (Maria Carla Boscono) An awesome issue actually. Off-beat and enjoyable to read. Feat. a fashion editorial w/ Maja.
*Harper & Queen: (Lou Dillion [sp]) Like the new layout and am amazed by how much fashion stuff it now includes. I think I will start buying it now. Tater on the other hand remains totally dismal.
*UK Elle: (Sophie Dahl) Tasha Tilberg has an ed! Nice selection of accessories.

I wouldn't recommend Pop or V at all. Am dying to see Kate Moss's Another Magazine.

Anyone knows what editorials appeared in the March and April issues of Nippon Vogue (cv: Daria Werbowy, Carmen Kass)?

For May Nippon Vogue, Angela Lindvall appears on the cover wearing the blue Louis Vuitton dress with gold chains. The ed mods include: Julia Stegner, Maria Carla Boscono, Marija, Natasha V, and Trish Goff.

May magazines...

*US Vogue - cover Jennifer Garner
*UK Vogue - cover Scarlett Johansson (Patrick Demarchelier shoots an editorial!)
*US Elle - cover Rebecca Stamos (Michelle Alves in great swimsuit ed)
*W - cover Uma Thurman (typical Michael Thompson)
*Allure - cover the Olson twins
*IT Flair - cover Carolyn Murphy
*Lucky - cover Gwen Stafani
*US Cosmopolitan - cover Jessica Simpson (Ana Michele Claudia has an ed)
*US Glamour - cover Queen Latifah
*US Bazaar - cover Courtney Cox
*Harper & Queen - cover Jacquetta Wheeler
*UK Marie Claire - cover Halle Berry
*US Marie Claire - cover Mandy Moore (Alessandra Ambrosio has an ed)

Apr Paris Vogue cover girl - Diana Dondoe in Chanel

Seems like Julia Stegner and Elise Crombez make an appearance in May's UK Vogue.

US vogue is the bible and UK vogue thinks of itself as the bible! Tired of the brits!

Another mag this season is amaizng

POP has really good articles, the editorials are not as good as last seasons, V is boring and super pretensious.

I only subscribe to Lucky and Cosmo.

All others I buy when I see something in it that might interest m.e

TeenVogue is good for high school-age girls, I love to look through my mom's Cosmo. and Vogue's as well! I like all the Vogue's though! We have a house in L.A. and other places in the USA so my mom gets US Vogue, and the FR Vogue cause that's our main house! UK Vogue is awesome too! What can I say I like them all! :P

Originally posted by pennyfei@Apr 18th, 2004 - 1:06 pm
US vogue is the bible and UK vogue thinks of itself as the bible! Tired of the brits!
Umm, I think she had it right the first time. :unsure: :wink:

Originally posted by LibertyRose@Apr 18th, 2004 - 12:11 pm
On a whim I wrote this...

Fashionzine Ratings

UK Vogue: the Bible
Paris Vogue: used to be the Bible
US Vogue: thinks of itself as the Bible
Vogue Italia: supermodel training ground monopolized by Steven Meisel
US Elle: B-list model training ground monopolized by Gilles Bensimon
W: the poor/hip/"artsy" little sister to the snobby, rich big sister US Vogue
Harper's Bazaar: Bible on decline
Nylon: Bible alternative
I-D: Bible alternative but with more dough

For April magazines...

*US Vogue: (Gwen Stafani) The cover is horrendous, but lovely editorials with Hana & Jasmine (Ph: Steven Meisel) and Daria & Isabeli (Mario Testino).
*UK Vogue: (Gemma Ward & Lily Cole) Doesn't have the strongest editorials (Daria, Jacquetta Wheeler, etc), but an enjoyable read as always.
*IT Flair: (Gisele Bundchen) Lackluster except for a wonderful Gisele spread by Michael Thompson
*IT Vogue: (Lydia Hearst) Awful cover, boring editorials waste talented models (Eugenia Volodina, Maria Carla Boscono, etc.)
*Nylon: (Maria Carla Boscono) An awesome issue actually. Off-beat and enjoyable to read. Feat. a fashion editorial w/ Maja.
*Harper & Queen: (Lou Dillion [sp]) Like the new layout and am amazed by how much fashion stuff it now includes. I think I will start buying it now. Tater on the other hand remains totally dismal.
*UK Elle: (Sophie Dahl) Tasha Tilberg has an ed! Nice selection of accessories.

I wouldn't recommend Pop or V at all. Am dying to see Kate Moss's Another Magazine.
Thanks for posting all this info. That took a lot of work. I spend hours at the book store going through magazines looking for runway pictures, editorials and ads. I usually settle on US Vogue, and Elle.

Originally posted by tealady+Apr 18th, 2004 - 8:28 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Apr 18th, 2004 - 8:28 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-pennyfei@Apr 18th, 2004 - 1:06 pm
Umm, I think she had it right the first time. :unsure: :wink: [/b][/quote]
US Vogue occasionally has killer eds, and sometimes a good article here or there, but usually I hate it (bad, bad, bad, bad, covers i.e. Jennifer Aniston's last try :sick: )

Thanks Liberty Rose! (I :heart: nylon too)

I'm sorry,but NYLON is horrendous these days.

Ummm....last mags I got I ordered through mail:

Style & The Family Tunes(German mag)

Crash (from Paris)

(sheepishly)the latest issue of BUTT with Michael Stipe on the cover. The images are actually quite lovely.

Uk Vogue is the bible? Are these people absolutely blind or are they merely taking bribes? Uk Vogue has been horrible as of late! And the new Scarlett Johanssen issue is even worse!

As much as people hate to admit it, American Vogue is the bible. Whether you like it or not, Anna's Vogue is the only one that truly matters. French and Italian Vogues are ok as of late, but none have the power of their American sister.

V has been steadily getting better after being soooo bad for a long time. The new Janet issue is pretty solid as far as editorial content. i-D is also insanely strong so far this year. Seems like they can't do anything wrong!

The spring issue of selfservice was a little boring to me. Scott, space, anyone else...what did you think?

And I agree that the spring issue of Another is very good. Except for the cover. Kate Moss really needs a break right now. Though I love her Africa editorial in the May Uma issue of W.

I usually buy vintage mags because of the cool style and the great photography (mostly 1966-1983). My favs are French and American Vogue of the 70s. Unbeatable. I also buy newer mags:

Numero: It's hit and miss but mostly hit - especially the April issue with Rianne/Mick on the cover by Mondino - so so so GOOD, and the ed inside is great too.

Vogue Paris: I don't buy that very often. It's sometimes quite good, though.

American Vogue: Bible or not - it does have at least one killer - and I mean killer - photograph a month. March: Januel/Steven Klein and in the April issue that ed with different shapes by Meisel.

Italian Vogue: Used to be blah but the March issue was EXCELLENT. Lisa Cant and Gemma's images were supernatural.

British Vogue: Very readable. It's the only mag of these that I find interesting enough to read. I especially enjoyed the expose on the development of the fashion shoot. Some great images sometimes too.

French: Beautiful trademark covers and lovely eds.

Flair: The last issue with Gisele was a disaster. They have a tendency to put the old models on the covers (Eva H, Shalom, Stephanie, Gisele). I usually buy it because it's so cheap - and it's got great ads too. Sometimes the eds are excellent, but it seems it has gotten worse the last 6 months.

This month's British Vogue is a joke. Usually I can't wait to "work through" my magazine but this time it feels like I've seen it all and I've only glanced once through.

British Elle has Kylie on the cover but I have no idea what's inside.

My wife bought me the latest issue of FRAME magazine - it's a magazine of international architecture and interior design (my other interest, although not as deep as fashion). It cost $20 (it's published in Netherlands), and I wouldn't dare buy it, so it was a lovely present. The magazine is excellent.

I'm getting very tired of the fashion magz, honestly. i-D is the only one that still keeps my interest - somehow it maintains some kind of a balance from being over-commercial (a la Vouge) or over-pretensious (a-la Purple, ooops, did I just say that? :rolleyes: ) - but not always :wink: I'm shifting more towards architecture and interior design mags, as well as mixed (ehh, "lifestyle" should we call it?) magz like Wallpaper (cliche, but still rocking).

FHM Collections for Spring and Arena Homme + (or as my brother would call it: "25-page catalogue") also for Spring.

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Apr 18th, 2004 - 10:19 pm
The spring issue of selfservice was a little boring to me. Scott, space, anyone else...what did you think?

I haven't seen it yet,Chicks*? Is it even worth buying? Seeing it beforehand is the only problem with ordering off the web...and they haven't updated their site in ages.

I pick up L'Uomo Vogue sometimes if I have to wait for the bus more than 5 minutes. I don't really read fashion mags...

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Apr 18th, 2004 - 9:19 pm

And I agree that the spring issue of Another is very good. Except for the cover. Kate Moss really needs a break right now.
I ahvent seen self service yet.

I'ms o sick of kate moss, althought ed in another was pritty cool, i don't care if she is a sledged or whatever she is not that great

Crash is very cool :heart:

I-D is always good to i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vittoooooo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->