Who Is America's Next Top Model, Really? - NYTimes article

i think the way he described hana in that article is definitely representative of this entire moment in modelling.

look at all the top girls right now. literally NOT ONE of them has enough charisma or character (or BODY) to become a SUPERMODEL. none of them. they are all so awkward and young. where are the confident WOMEN in modelling?? that's why the average joe loved Cindy/christy/naomi/linda, etc etc. because they were WOMEN, not awkward, shy, bone-thin 16 year olds.

guy trebay's a talented writer, he's certainly entertaining, but he likes to make obvious overgeneralizations then sit back and watch the fuss ensue. :ninja: the first page of the article says american models are out of fashion then on the last page he describes how new girl Hilary Rhoda is the Next Big Thing. :hardhead:I don't think the fashion industry really associates America with one type of model anymore, everyone knows it's too large and ethnically diverse. erin wasson, jessica miller, amanda moore, jp, cameron, sara ziff, they're all working steadily, and none of them conform to the image of the American model he describes, maybe cameron. at least he wasn't on about how all models these days look alike, his usual gripe, feh. :yuk:

model_mom :flower: [you made me blush :blush: ... yeah, yeah i can be serious... sometimes ^_^ ]

... the article was long time coming, IMO B)

berkeleygrrrl said:
guy trebay's a talented writer,

Too bad he got some of his facts wrong... for instance, Hilary was not at the Dior show :P

Apart from that, I absolutely enjoyed reading this article. It really does pinpoint what is going on in the world fashion right now. Funny he didn't really point out the whole movement of aliens and bugs, but ok. And I love the way he described Sasha and Hana, just brilliant :lol:

happycanadian said:
i think the way he described hana in that article is definitely representative of this entire moment in modelling.

look at all the top girls right now. literally NOT ONE of them has enough charisma or character (or BODY) to become a SUPERMODEL. none of them. they are all so awkward and young. where are the confident WOMEN in modelling?? that's why the average joe loved Cindy/christy/naomi/linda, etc etc. because they were WOMEN, not awkward, shy, bone-thin 16 year olds.

I agree completely. I think that is part of the reason why you see celebs on the covers of fashions magazine's. Because most models these days just don't have the charisma or personality to appeal to the masses.

Sugarmama said:
I agree completely. I think that is part of the reason why you see celebs on the covers of fashions magazine's. Because most models these days just don't have the charisma or personality to appeal to the masses.

The masses don't even know what charisma or personality is.

No, what they want is something entirely different...

:innocent:

maverick said:
The masses don't even know what charisma or personality is.

No, what they want is something entirely different...

:innocent:

That's your opinion, but that's what I think. You don't see models on the covers of magazine's for a reason.

Sugarmama said:
That's your opinion, but that's what I think. You don't see models on the covers of magazine's for a reason.
Please forgive me Sugarmama, I am very stupid. I seem to have forgotten the meaning of the word actor. Perchance could you help me? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
maverick said:
Please forgive me Sugarmama, I am very stupid. I seem to have forgoten the meaning of the word actor. Perchance could you help me? :(

Yes, and some of them have personality. That's why they're on the covers.

I don't like all of them either and it would be nice to see more models, but too many of them are young girls without much character.

Sugarmama said:
I don't like all of them either and it would be nice to see more models, but too many of them are young girls without much character.

:o

Oh my! I don't think thats a very nice thing to say.

maverick said:
:o

Oh my! I don't think thats a very nice thing to say.

I didn't mean all young models don't have personality. I don't want it to sound that way. Just that many of the top models now don't seem to. Not all of them of course.

Sugarmama said:

What i dont get is, how do we know they have no character? The reason why theres no character is because we never get to see any of it.

Maybe if there was more of a chance to see the character in some of these people then the public would like them more. Are supermodels what we want nowdays, especially when the world, particularily the USA is so obsessed with coked out actors and actresses and everything they do.

Sugarmama said:
I didn't mean all young models don't have personality. I don't want it to sound that way. Just that many of the top models now don't seem to. Not all of them of course.
Oh, you mean charisma. Sorry, I completely misunderstood your argument. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
yourbestfriend said:
What i dont get is, how do we know they have no character? The reason why theres no character is because we never get to see any of it.

Maybe if there was more of a chance to see the character in some of these people then the public would like them more. Are supermodels what we want nowdays, especially when the world, particularily the USA is so obsessed with coked out actors and actresses and everything they do.

I don't know if we want supermodels, but less actors and celebrities on the covers of fashion magazines and more models. What I mean is that some of these models to me seem to have the same facial expressions everytime I see them. They aren't dynamic like Naomi, Linda, etc. But maybe some people prefer the girls of today rather than the supers. That's just my opinion.

I don't like most celebs personalities either.. but I can't blame them.. they are a part of the big PR machine.. their image is everything. They're like the popular kids in HS who have to smile and say hi to everyone or else people will start talking s(*# behind their backs...

I'd love to see more models on covers.. but that said.. Jennifer Aniston post Brad Pitt breakup.. or Sienna Miller post Jude law "jude lawing" it with the nanny.. can probably sell more magazines than Elise Crombez or Lily Donaldson. Its a sad fact.. but Vogue US understandably cares about the bottom line and will put everything second. I think I remember Lucky Magazine saying they started out using models on their covers.. but they simply weren't selling magazines.. so they had to start using celebs.

wow. thank you sugarmomma for holding up my end of the argument. lol.

i agree with everything you have said --- it's not that these girls are without personalities, it's just that they are GIRLS. they are shy, awkward, uncharismatic, non-dynamic young children.

naomi was young when she started, but she was at least 20 when she finally became a SUPERMODEL, and cindy was even older, so was linda and christy. these were WOMEN and they had something that young girls could idolize and aspire too.

what is SUPER about a hana, or an elise, or gemma, lily, etc etc. they don't have the OOMPH that naomi or any of the originals had. it's that special thing -- that character -- that makes a supermodel. and that is why people put them on magazine covers, because the population saw that there was something special, something untouchable and unreachable in their status. when models are all awkward looking young girls, there is nothing to desire, nothing superior about them. anyone can be a model now if they are tall and thin. so people no longer look up to them as something special.

this is why every once in a while you will get a Heidi Klum, or Tyra, Karolina or Gisele ---- women with charisma and ultra gorgeous looks that translates to the mass audience. they still sell magazines.

i think right now is a celebrity obsessed time, and that's obviously why a sienna or gwyneth will sell more covers than a model, but at least if the models had more presence and charisma (a la naomi et al) then they would have a better shot at fronting the mags.

I think Eugenia Volodina has super-model potential (body + face + personality). Whether she will be marketed that way, who knows... :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinribs98
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->