Your fur style - please read thread guidelines in post #1 before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
purple, I too am a vegetarian. Not necessarily because of animal rights, I might add. But, the only thing that seperates me from being a full-on vegan is my closet. I own quite a few leather coats, gloves, belts... a fur coat... cashmere pants... wool sweaters and a coat... Shameful, I know... but animal fabrics are much better quality than any synthetic ones.

Also, those of you who said they would never kill an animal.. do you wear wool or cashmere? Or leather?

i was responsible for that quite chaotic topic in the past :innocent: didn't want it to get out of hand.
soo unless most of you don't know, i am an animal rights activist (not that psychopath insane type, which people usually think of..i just defend animal rights)
a vegetarian and obviously not a leather or fur wearer.
i just think it's wrong..whilst i think vegetarianism is personal choice, killing an animal for a coat which will only be worn 3 times is not right.

I wear only vintage fur which I can justify to myself by telling myself that I am recycling the skins so that another poor little animal didn;t have to be killed.

That said, i rarely even wear the fur I have...it doesn't feel right somehow... :unsure:

those chihchillas are damn cute!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 7:28 am
purple, I too am a vegetarian. Not necessarily because of animal rights, I might add. But, the only thing that seperates me from being a full-on vegan is my closet. I own quite a few leather coats, gloves, belts... a fur coat... cashmere pants... wool sweaters and a coat... Shameful, I know... but animal fabrics are much better quality than any synthetic ones.

Also, those of you who said they would never kill an animal.. do you wear wool or cashmere? Or leather?
Wool they get by shaving sheep. They don't kill them for their fur. Also, I do wear leather because it's using the rest of the animal that we kill for food anyway.

Originally posted by MurakamiPrincess@Feb 24th, 2004 - 12:11 am
Wool they get by shaving sheep. They don't kill them for their fur.
Sheep are bred to produce as much wool as possible. Larger skin area means a bigger area where wool will grow. Think about those Chinese wrinkly dogs... The sheep get fungus infections, sores and whatnot because of their unnatural mutations. Also, some sheep die after shaving. By shock, or cold. This procedure is not gentle.

When you produce silk, you kill the silk worm before it's fully mature. If you let it turn into a butterfly and break out of the cocoon, you end up with scrap silk instead of the long fibers that are wanted.

Down production is not very friendly to the birds. They are plucked while alive and conscious and thrown back into the birdhouse. When they have grown enough new down, the procedure is repeated. Typically, a bird will give 3 sets of down (if it doesn't happen to die before that...) and then it is scrapped.

The production of silk, wool, down, leather and fur is not kind to animals, it's a fact. Some of us can live with that, others can't.

Originally posted by tott+Feb 23rd, 2004 - 6:33 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tott @ Feb 23rd, 2004 - 6:33 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-MurakamiPrincess@Feb 24th, 2004 - 12:11 am
Wool they get by shaving sheep. They don't kill them for their fur.
Sheep are bred to produce as much wool as possible. Larger skin area means a bigger area where wool will grow. Think about those Chinese wrinkly dogs... The sheep get fungus infections, sores and whatnot because of their unnatural mutations. Also, some sheep die after shaving. By shock, or cold. This procedure is not gentle.

When you produce silk, you kill the silk worm before it's fully mature. If you let it turn into a butterfly and break out of the cocoon, you end up with scrap silk instead of the long fibers that are wanted.

Down production is not very friendly to the birds. They are plucked while alive and conscious and thrown back into the birdhouse. When they have grown enough new down, the procedure is repeated. Typically, a bird will give 3 sets of down (if it doesn't happen to die before that...) and then it is scrapped.

The production of silk, wool, down, leather and fur is not kind to animals, it's a fact. Some of us can live with that, others can't. [/b][/quote]
thanks for the insight- i knew about the silkworms, but never thought about the down. survival of the fittest man-if a lion could eat you, it would. thank goodness lions don't live in NYC! small children in california are often attacked by wild coyotes...it's the cycle of life in this century...not always pretty, huh?

hey tott, you're my new favorite person. thankyou for getting that out for me.. i couldnt have said it better myself.
you know, you 'vegetarians' that still wear leather.. i personally find it to be alittle pathetic.
being a vegan, i've given all of my wools, leather, (i've never ever own real fur), and silk to the salvation army... fur is better quality than synthetics? well okay, thats why it costs more.. but how long tdo you think you'll wear your better quality fur before you get tired of it. synthetics last for quite some time, and then peoples fashion sense changes... so they get new synthetics.

-Joanie Cooke

Originally posted by softgrey@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 11:01 am

those chihchillas are damn cute!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Thanks! I love my chinchillas.
My mother jokes and says she's going to make mittens out of them. :wink:

I am not passing judgement on people who wear fur... I can't do anything to change it from happening, and it will probably never stop. I also don't think silk or wool or leather are bad either.

But then again, I am not a hardcore vegetarian... I do not eat meat.. but It's because I choose not to, not because I think it's cruel. Leather is a by-product. People don't go around hunting cows for their skin.. it's just that if the cow will be killed for its meat.. why not use the rest?

Anyways. I'm so glad I got some opinions on this matter. This will help me a lot on an assignment I am doing.

Originally posted by prettyLITTLEwannabe@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 7:59 pm
hey tott, you're my new favorite person. thankyou for getting that out for me.. i couldnt have said it better myself.
you know, you 'vegetarians' that still wear leather.. i personally find it to be alittle pathetic.
being a vegan, i've given all of my wools, leather, (i've never ever own real fur), and silk to the salvation army... fur is better quality than synthetics? well okay, thats why it costs more.. but how long tdo you think you'll wear your better quality fur before you get tired of it. synthetics last for quite some time, and then peoples fashion sense changes... so they get new synthetics.

-Joanie Cooke
I admire your hardcore diligence prettyLITTLEwannabe. Sadly, not all of us are quite as strong and strict as you are. At least we try though. :flower:

Everyone draws the line somewhere - construction and polution kills more animals than the fur industry. So lets stop building and manufactuering and live in treehouses made of gathered branches.

No, I do not wear fur, because I have no need for it. If I lived somewhere extremely cold and had some spare change, then yes, I would most likely own a piece. Fur is very warm and there is nothing like burrowing your face into a deep collar when below zero winds whip around you. My mother has a mink jacket that is just beautiful. It belonged to my great-(great?)-aunt.

I do understand and respect the opinions of those who believe that wearing fur is not a good thing. However, I wish that organizations like PETA would not be so militant about it. It's one thing to protest peacefully, but campaigning on the idea that those who wear fur are evil, morally-wrong people is a little hard for me to understand and respect. (I am not implying that any of you are evil bad people. Argh. I'm trying very hard to be PC and to not stir things up. Gosh Darnit.) I also do think that the industry could go about the process just a little bit(understatement) more compassionatly.

Iam a Vegitarian, i do not belive in fur . Its really quite grotesque if yous ee any pictures, truely disturbing. However i musta ddmit i do wear some leather.

I don't know if I would... I mean, I like it, but when I see photos of all the cruelty and stuff, I rather stick to faux...

i don't mind fur. it a completely natural and justified fiber to use. i like the bright colored gucci fur.

but i agree that chinchilla fur does seem a little...well i would feel guilty. any other animal...not so much...maybe.

i have two maxmara coats, one lined with beaver and one 100% alpaca
and a rabbit fur handbag

*ducks*

I have a winter jacket with a detachable fur collar. I swear I thought the collar was fake, until I was told otherwise :cry:

I'm not sure though if I wouldn't buy that jacket if I knew that the collar was real. I would never wear a fur coat though (neither would my wife). I think that besides no need for killing wild animals, it's just tacky.

What about leather? Is that bad? I don't think it's as bad, because most of it comes from animals that are specifically grown to be slaughtered for meat and leather.

Originally posted by faust@Feb 27th, 2004 - 3:33 pm
I have a winter jacket with a detachable fur collar. I swear I thought the collar was fake, until I was told otherwise :cry:

I'm not sure though if I wouldn't buy that jacket if I knew that the collar was real. I would never wear a fur coat though (neither would my wife). I think that besides no need for killing wild animals, it's just tacky.

What about leather? Is that bad? I don't think it's as bad, because most of it comes from animals that are specifically grown to be slaughtered for meat and leather.
That's where I draw the line. If its not raised for meat and skins for clothing already,the rest is just frivolous to me. Pigskin is another that I found that has an equal effect of leather. Still,its raised the same way. And I already love leather.

What's more,looking at it and owning one are two different things for me. Like Rick Owens is doing at Revillon..its absolutely stunning. However,I'd feel overwhlemed in half of it. Its just too much even for me.

Originally posted by Scott@Feb 27th, 2004 - 6:49 pm
Pigskin is another that I found that has an equal effect of leather. Still,its raised the same way. And I already love leather.
Pig or Cow.. it's all still leather. :wink:

There's even Ostrich leather.

i like ostrich leather. all the bumps get me. or something like that...

hmm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->