Your fur style - please read thread guidelines in post #1 before posting #2

Luna

offline.
Reaction score
Moderators' Note: due to the frequency of off-topic posts in this thread, we have decided to state a few ground rules for what is and is not allowed here:

Thread rules:
  • The topic is your fur style--real fur, no fur, new fur, faux fur, vintage fur. All of these are welcome here.
  • Any and all innuendos or categorical statements about others with the same or a different fur style from yours are off-topic and therefore not welcome in this thread.
  • The tone of this thread is to be calm and dispassionate. If you are not calm on this topic, please do not post in this thread.
  • This thread is a discussion of style, and not a forum for convincing others of your point of view, whatever it may be.
-------------------------------------------------

Just wondering how many of you own and wear fur. I used to think that fur was so luxurious and pretty... but now I own two chinchillas as pets.. and recently visited a pelting factory (for a leather class I was taking) and did NOT like what I saw.

Opinions?

Anyone knows where I can get a decent blonde mink jacket(long sleeves please). Nothing over the top or fancy, basic straight jacket with smallish collars that aren't cut too high in blonde mink.

From NYC!

But the few that I see in manhattan are too expensive(understandably) although it really is nice.

I can't believe how much of a comeback fur has had recently. I don't think it's such a faux-pas to wear fur anymore. It's 12 noon and -11C right now, -18C with the windchill so I feel absolutely no guilt about living in a place where fur is perfectly acceptable. (That's 12/0F for my American friends) Necessary? No. My everyday coat is a down-filled knee length North Face coat (and matching boots). However.......
I have a hooded cashmere cape with pearl fox trim. I also have three mongolian lamb collars that I just purchased at Neiman's this past September and I have worn them a lot since then. I was given a personal tour of the Fur Salon at Saks when I visited there last May - they has just received a new shipment of coats. I tried on so many stunning pieces and was given so much information about the coats and their designers etc. It was really a fabulous experience.
My fur wishlist right now consists of a knitted mink coat. Does anyone here own one or can anyone weigh in with their opinions? I'm really liking the knitted mink because of it's "lightness" so to speak. They aren't lined but hopefully shedding would not be an issue. I think they're an affordable alternative to the traditional fur coat. They aren't heavy or bulky and I think that's what I like about them. I'm not sure how warm it would be because it isn't lined, and to be honest when it's as cold as it is today, my puffy coat would be the one I would grab. Not that I would wear the mink to buy groceries..... strictly a going out for lunch/dinner/drinks kind of thing.

xing try webfurs.com or furhatworld.com They have some nice minks. webfurs is in NYC.
I'm drawn to something like this (not the best picture, sorry)...... (pic: furhatworld.com) What do you think? At $1400, it certainly isn't going to break the bank!

Attachments

• Stroller_Knit_Mink_Coat_with_Ruffle_1185.jpg
    Stroller_Knit_Mink_Coat_with_Ruffle_1185.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 3
that is awesome shelleybean!

I got a blond mink recently off ebay. the sizing is all weird and there is a tiny bald spot and matting of the guard hair at the edge of the sleeves. would probably try to find a reliable furrier to see of something can be done about the fur and the size.

I recently got this fur vest by Jenny Han... It's super soft and so comfortable.

photo credit: www.couturecandy.com

Attachments

• jenny han.jpg
    jenny han.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2
Hey shelleybean... I have a knitted fur jacket and adore it... I love the face that it's fur inside and out... the only thing i'd say about it is that it's not great if its cold and windy... which it often is in Scotland... with normal fur you have the skin/hide below the fur acting as a barrier to the wind... but with this and with it being unlined you wont!

I must admit im not overly drawn to the pic you posted... seems to fussy to me and I find the colour a bit to honeyish! I prefer more natural looking fur colours myself... Furhatworld.com and webfurs are great sites for fur though... I have bought from them both previously... albeit only accessories... but I would recomend them... especially if you live in a place like the UK where there are no fur shops! Faux is really in just now... but its not for me... I tend to always do real when it comes to fashion.

Ina... love your fur vest... I take it it's rabbit fur... looks like it?

I just bought a fur scarf last week on ebay... was £60... but I got a bargain... when it came I realised it was a reasonably new Fendi one... the seller obviously did not even have a clue that it being a Fendi one was worth more than £60... never even listed it as Fendi... so you can imagine my surprise when it arrived! It's total luxuary knitted mink or fox... it doesn't say and im thinking its more like fox as the fur is longer than i've seen knitted mink before!

Gail xxx

It's actually fake fur!!! It feels so real though it's incredible. The inner lining is silk.

William St Girl, Shelleybean>> Could you show me what the knitted fur looks like up close? (to the point where you see the yarn) Never heard of that before, unless faux-fur

Okay I'm looking at pictures now.. I just want to know what you guys think. Seems like the fur knits, you can actually see the 'knit texture' in the garment. It doesn't look 'smooth' like a full pelt, or like Ina's vest even.. Here's an example of the texture, you can see it on the body

The exceptions are the really "hairy" ones but those aren't smooth either. It's just the knit disappears

It's not smooth like a fur pelt... it has a knitted feel through it as you think... but its nice if you get a good one... mine (scarf) is fendi so the quality is there... and yeh its a longer haired fur... but I like the overall look of it too... its just a bit different!

Thanks:smile: I'll definitely try to get my hands on one in person

I've just got a knitted fur hat - my friend brought it me back from Cracow. It's th first knitted fur thing I have and it is lovely and warm. I really want a (silver/blue if possible) fox fur coat or jacket as I love the feel of it. Above-mentioned friend treated herself to one while in Cracow. I keep looking on ebay, but not managed to get one yet. Maybe I should wait until summer as they won't be as popular then.

my mom gave me her mink coat because she got a new one...
it's full length and very grown up...
there is one seam in the sleeve that needs to be repaired...
but other than that, it's in perfect condition...

now i just have to muster up the courage to wear it!...
:ninja:...

I've been noticing often this "mink paw" lately.. mink paw jackets, coat etc. I wonder if they really mean it's made from paws? (._.)

My aunt just came by for the holidays and got her to bring her alpaca coat.. So beautiful, slippery and -thick-! I've met alpacas before, so was surprised because the hair is quite different. Only $120 she says, and bought at least 10 years ago! Still in good condition. Although becuase of the thickness, doesn't quite suit me but ..still really tempting to wear, if just for how absolutely comfortable it is:crush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been noticing often this "mink paw" lately.. mink paw jackets, coat etc. I wonder if they really mean it's made from paws? (._.)
nevermind. don't answer this ..

^_^

LOL I've never heard of mink paw stuff...

Im loving all this faux fur everyone is wearing now... as no one seems to bother in the UK so much if you wear real fur... but im thinking it's that most people just assume its real!

I'm so wanting one of the pringle of scatland Pre Fall items with the patchwork fur...

What are other girls thinking for fur this winter... must be freezing now for most of us!

My grandmother gave me the most amazing one-piece silver fox collar but like softgrey i need to muster up the courage to wear it again.

It pisses me off that you can't wear real fur anymore without people giving you dirty looks. Get over it.

You can... and there is so much faux going about just now most people dont have a clue of the difference anyway so i'd just go for it big time!

You should never let anyone put you off wearing anything!

I could not resist buying this purple bunny fur flower broach today on ebay... it's gonna look fab on my max mara black wool coat!

Anyone else been buying much fur this winter... this thread has been kinda quiet which as surprised me as its such a big trend this season!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->