Bi-racial/mixed models

thsi si sodrta tough since ther arent' many biracial models--- adn thoe that are blend right in with those catch all ethnic looks--hispanic, middle-eastern/north/east african---this thread applies to sucha narrow group.... and it is really on publicized in america, adn a handful of european countries.. i feel like in most overseas plces being "mixed" isnt; an issue... my favorite male model used to be boris kodjoe
he is german/ghanaian.. i know his family.(aren't i lucky??)
from rollingstone hot issue of 2000. i dont recall the photographer.
Boris-Kodjoe-10511-5.jpg

honeyisle said:
I just want to know, If someone is mixed with say french, german and swiss does that make them multiracial or are they just European? I mean saying that you're half canadian and half british for instance tells a person nothing about your racial make up. I saw a model in here who was part chinese, japanese and korean. I would say that she is asian not really multiracial, because nationalities were listed. I'm a canadian by nationality but black and east indian racially (from trinidadian parents). I just wanted to know everyones thoughts on this. Can a nationality be used to describe someones racial background?

It depends on the person. I believe that while the person's ancestry is mixed, overall they are White and won't really be considered mixed.

I would also say that the model is Asian but, comes from mixed ancestry like above. While that model isn't multiracial, she is multicultural.

You would be considered mixed because Black and East Indian are two different races/ethnicities. As for nationality...I'm not sure, sometimes, yes and sometimes no. For instance, if you were to say you were "American" then no, it doesn't describe your racial background. If you were to say that you were Indian, Mongolian, etc, yes I'm pretty sure your nationality could be used as your racial background.

i don't think so... i am trini.. in triidad the cultures of the "blacks" and" Indians" arent' that differnet, both groups are ethnically trini.. if one parent was actually from india, then yes.. half TRINI, half Indian.. otherwise most all latinos would be biracial, as would sicilians, filipinos, and most afro-americans by te nature fo their countyries history of immigration. i think biracial signifies a racial dn cutlrual differnece between the parents of a person. in trinidad most blacks are part soemthing else,a dn most indians are mixed too... its liek any other South American country in that way.. (and it is considered S. Americamn, since its an isle right off the coast fo Venezuela).

most trinis are "mixed." that is just how that country is...

yea same with me and i'm Guyanese. if you're south american you're bound to be mixed with something. I still call my coolie/black trini friends half-indian though. I guess it depends on the person's perspective.

mooshiepoo said:
She simply has parents who are from two different nationalities. That doesn't make her bi-racial. Her mother Liz Turlington is white.

There's a lot of ignorance in general in this thread.
Christy Turlington herself considers her background as bi-racial. At the same time her ethnicity is consider white.

gia0202 said:
i don't think so... i am trini.. in triidad the cultures of the "blacks" and" Indians" arent' that differnet, both groups are ethnically trini.. if one parent was actually from india, then yes.. half TRINI, half Indian.. otherwise most all latinos would be biracial, as would sicilians, filipinos, and most afro-americans by te nature fo their countyries history of immigration. i think biracial signifies a racial dn cutlrual differnece between the parents of a person. in trinidad most blacks are part soemthing else,a dn most indians are mixed too... its liek any other South American country in that way.. (and it is considered S. Americamn, since its an isle right off the coast fo Venezuela).

Oh..I thought you meant East Indian as in Indian from India, not from the West Indies.

Most latinos are biracial because Latino itself is an ethnicity, not a race. My mother is Latino but her family hails from Africa (Cote d'Ivoire) and Europe (Spain and France). It's the same for Central Americans (Mexicans, Hondurans, Guatemalans, etc.) who are of, usually, European/Ameridian mix; Caribbean Latinos are usually of African/European; South Americans are usually African/European, also, with some being more of one race than the other. That's what makes them bi/multiracial.

Filipinos are also mixed because many Filipinos are of Chinese or Malay desecent. African-Americans mostly mixed with White or Ameridian ancestry somewhere in their genes.

cyberfruit said:
It depends on the person. I believe that while the person's ancestry is mixed, overall they are White and won't really be considered mixed.

I would also say that the model is Asian but, comes from mixed ancestry like above. While that model isn't multiracial, she is multicultural.

You would be considered mixed because Black and East Indian are two different races/ethnicities. As for nationality...I'm not sure, sometimes, yes and sometimes no. For instance, if you were to say you were "American" then no, it doesn't describe your racial background. If you were to say that you were Indian, Mongolian, etc, yes I'm pretty sure your nationality could be used as your racial background.

completely agree with cyberfruit.

And about Christy Turlington I sort of agree with mooshiepoo there's a big difference between ones nationality and ones race but I would consider Christy ignorent. I'm glad these things are being cleared up though..it's the true purpose of this thread. I've learned alot already:flower:

i do mean east indian.. about 40 percent of the country is primarliy east indian.. they were brought there as sorta slaves/workers int eh 19th centurey to replace african workers...and intergrated in with everyone... most trinis are a mix of east indian, black, white---maybe some chinese... that is jst hwo it is... --kinda liek most all filipinos ar ea mix of pacific islander, white, chinese/malay??
personally i am part spanish, chinese, afirican, scottish, and God knwos what else--- perhaps Indian/middle eastern--but seriously i have NO IDEA that is how most trinis are ..we sorta knwo, but no one really knows... the ethnicities i jsut listed, i knwo purely cuz some peeps in my family speak Chinese, have a slightly scottish dialect, or are clearly Spanish(from Spain) its jsut how that country is.

Michelle De Swarte from London. She's of Afro and English mixed.

imagenorm_01.jpg
imagenorm_05.jpg
imagenorm_10.jpg
imagenorm_06.jpg

<taketwo-model.com>

00050f.jpg
00210f.jpg

<Style>

she is cute--but her face is a lil too long. great body. cool hair

gia0202 said:
i do mean east indian.. about 40 percent of the country is primarliy east indian.. they were brought there as sorta slaves/workers int eh 19th centurey to replace african workers...and intergrated in with everyone... most trinis are a mix of east indian, black, white---maybe some chinese... that is jst hwo it is... --kinda liek most all filipinos ar ea mix of pacific islander, white, chinese/malay??
personally i am part spanish, chinese, afirican, scottish, and God knwos what else--- perhaps Indian/middle eastern--but seriously i have NO IDEA that is how most trinis are ..we sorta knwo, but no one really knows... the ethnicities i jsut listed, i knwo purely cuz some peeps in my family speak Chinese, have a slightly scottish dialect, or are clearly Spanish(from Spain) its jsut how that country is.

Okay, if you mean Indian as in India then you are definitely mixed because Indians are not catorgorized as Africans, they are Asians (I don't want anyone preaching to me about their Caucasoid background because I already know about it).

I understand. The Caribbean and West Indies are very, very mixed with different races and ethnicities due to colonization and slave trade over centuries. I have African, Spaniard, French, Jamaican, and Haitian on my mom's side of the family. You really can't name on person who comes from the Caribbean or West Indies that isn't mixed with one or more races and can claim one ethnicity.

gia0202 said:

The word "trini" is not a racial/ethnic category (maybe a cultural one) That is a slang to discribe Trinidadians of all ethnicities (indian, Black, spanish,asian, mixed). You can't be half "trini" and half black. Also Trinidadian's of black/african descent and the indians are completly different groups. I think it's ignorant to say they're the same. They each have their own individual characteristics and history. The fact that the country is a melting pot does not change this. The society despite being very mixed is still quite divided. My family sadly is an example of this. Oh yeah and Trinidad is not considered part of South America. Where do you get these "facts"?!:blink:

i see it as part of south america because it is only liek 20 miles off the coast... just like bermuda is part of n. america.... depending on what side of the island ---you can see that... as my fam speaks spanish... andf most of my family actually lives i south americ(venezuela).
i thin some peopel think they are very differnet(indians, afircans) but seriously most indians i meet whoa re trini are mixed,a dn most the blacks are as well.. i relaly don't see what the big deal is.. this si a fact you can look up---did u knwo that the trini form of pigeo english/creole is actually has a sig. influence from indian languages? maybe i am optimistic to a fault--but i really see all trinis as one--sorta liek i see all of brasil, jamaica as one.
but seriiously i am soorry icaused this tangent--we shoudl get back to posting pics.

I never knew that Claudia Mason was bi-racial (according to another thread, her father is black and her mother is white).

I always wondered what her ethnic background was. I used to think that she was probably of Hispanic or Arab descent.

She's so beautiful.

2psggop.jpg

2vuhvv8.jpg

2djx8k4.jpg

corbis.com

^^^ I remember reading in a magazine about Claudia's modeling career (copy of the interview was on a website, but can't find it). She didn't reveal her racial background because it might have lessen the amount of modeling work back in the early 90's. She decided to reveal her bi-racial background later in modeling career because she became comfortable. She realized her black background is nothing to be ashamed of.

is natasha poly mixed ? she looks tanned for a russian girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->