Christian Dior F/W 10.11 Paris

PARIS, March 5, 2010

By Sarah Mower

With a clap of thunder, the neigh of a horse, and the clippety-clop of coconut shells on the opening soundtrack, it wasn't hard to see where John Galliano was going with Fall. Dior's ready-to-wear was equestrian-themed, a follow-on from the daywear strand of the acclaimed Couture show in January. After Karlie Kloss had swept on, swirling a brown leather highwayman's cape over a ruffled pink chiffon dress and brown thigh boots, the narrative was established: This was to be a brisk albeit slightly perfunctory trot around the circuit of Galliano's longtime favorite eighteenth-century redingote shapes, hacking jackets, and jodhpurs, interspersed with many more of the little chiffon dresse

As the show took a detour into citified country clothes—checked wool pencil skirts, baker boy caps, and a blanket coat in mohair—it was the knitwear that ended up commanding the most attention. This is, after all, the season where unexpected ways of knitting have been a focal point in such influential collections as Prada and Dolce & Gabbana. Dior's answers were a cream oversize cardigan-coat, threaded through with blue satin ribbon, and two lacy raschel-knit dresses.

The whole impression? Item by item, there was plenty to go on, from the furs—treated to a new technique that mimics dressy layered frills, edged with an eyelash fringe—to the heavily reiterated thigh boot to the dirty-pastel georgette evening gowns. The drawback was the number of georgette dresses in the show, which tipped it at times too far in the direction of the things Galliano does in his own collection.
style.com

I do agree with the last line, some pieces were very Galliano for his own label.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that this collection is trashy, but it's certainly a step down for Dior. Everything just looked really messy.

I like it, im surprised I must say
I see a bit of alice in wonderland inspiration
maybe the romantic part, or i am crazyy ??

love the casting too

LOVED the music. loved the dresses. loved the shoes. i don't think i realise how much i actually love john! haha

I think many models looks like jockeys... ahaha.. i like it, it doesn't kill me compared to others galliano's collection, but it's nice... lately collections has been very wearable, i think it must be because of the crisis that designer are asked to do more commerciable clothes.

There's a lot to like actually. The boots, the jackets, the flouncy dresses, and the "libertine" styling.
At least his inspiration is no longer 60's suburban housewives/old Hollywood/boudoir, or whatever has dominated his past collections for Dior over the past 3 years. This at least doesn't feel stale.

It's like an inch more interesting than his previous recent stuff. Still quite random though.

Wow!!! Love the feminine dresses, the blazers, the leather...everything!! That collection is pretty much perfect!

It's been a while since Galliano designed a collection so memorable like this one. Comparisons with Dolce & Gabbana and Ralph Lauren in the equestrian looks may seem obvious, however, that does not takes merit away to this new Dior.
Night gowns filled with romance and with an ethereal look, may be the most gorgeus of this entire season in Paris. Hardness of the boots complete the looks to make them irresistible.
Personally, the look on Maryna Linchuk was the greatest. She should have been the one who started the show...:heart:

i think its decent but boring. i completely forgot i was lookin at a fall collection, i kept thinking spring-summer in my head.

im thinking galliano thinks more about his finale walk than the actual clothes :lol: jk

From Sunset Boulevard to poverty row. I'm not sure I like the change, but the detailing in the last few dresses is kinda nice.

It's like an inch more interesting than his previous recent stuff.
perfectly put.

i'm completely in love with this dress and these cute garters, and there are some really nice jackets and gowns, but overall it's just not exciting... if we have (or used to have) high expectations, it's because galliano himslef raised the bar years ago... it's like his creativity is extremely unadaptable to restrictions.

the only problem i'm having is that some pieces might be a lil to0 spring/summer for me. other than that, it's something new for dior and it's beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turnipcookie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->