Daniel Lee - Designer, Creative Director of Burberry

^ me 5!

I really like Daniel and his menswear is cool imho but not at this price, c’mon ! This CEO should be sacked asap but knowing reality of fashion it’s Daniel who would have to take the blame. Anywhere he goes, I’ll follow with my wallet lol

^ me 5!

I really like Daniel and his menswear is cool imho but not at this price, c’mon ! This CEO should be sacked asap but knowing reality of fashion it’s Daniel who would have to take the blame. Anywhere he goes, I’ll follow with my wallet lol
Me not !
I would not wear it for free, all his Burberry colors are muddy, sewage waters, to me

^ me 5!

Me 6! :lol: No matter what he will always be one of my favorite menswear designers. I've dozens of his Bottega pieces, all of them are great and are still in my weekly rotations. I'll wait for his Burbs to reach the price they should have been.

Burberry Raincoats, Scarves Flew Off Shelves in Fiscal 2024, but Not the Ready-to-wear​

The British brand, which is fighting battles on multiple fronts, beat some analysts’ expectations in fiscal 2024 and is looking forward to a stronger second half.

MAY 15, 2024, 2:50AM

LONDONCold winds are whipping through luxury, so it’s no surprise that Burberry’s biggest sellers last year were weatherproof classics: scarves, outerwear, and the brand’s signature raincoats.

But those sales were not enough to bolster growth in fiscal 2024. Burberry reported a 4 percent decline in revenue to 2.97 billion pounds, with adjusted operating profit falling 34 percent to 418 million pounds following a downgrade by the company in January.

At constant exchange, revenue was flat in the 12-month period ended March 30, while adjusted operating profit was down 25 percent as Chinese and American customers in particular held back on spending.

Burberry is also planning some changes on the fashion front, shuffling its shop floor offer to include a better balance of runway and classic silhouettes. It also plans to build in more opening price merchandise, and promote new handbag families such as the Knight and Rocking Horse.

Outerwear grew by a high single digit percentage in the year, led by Heritage rainwear. Scarves grew by a double-digit percentage, and leather goods performed “broadly in line” with the group average, said Burberry.

By contrast, men’s and women’s ready-to-wear underperformed in fiscal 2024. Burberry said sales were “below the group average,” declining by a mid-single digit percentage in the year.

Revenue in all the main product categories – accessories, women’s and men’s – was down in the single digits at reported exchange. At constant rates, accessories fell by 2 percent, while women’s rose 4 percent, and men’s 1 percent.

Backstage at Burberry Fall 2024 Ready-to-Wear Collection at London Fashion Week

Backstage at Burberry Fall 2024 Ready-to-Wear Collection at London Fashion Week KASIA BOBULA/WWD

Much like Sabato De Sarno, his counterpart at Gucci, Burberry’s creative director Daniel Lee is under pressure to deliver. But whipping up bestsellers when aspirational customers are in the mood to save rather than spend, and with quiet, logo-free luxury still the rage, is no easy endeavor.

Still, the clock is ticking.

On Wednesday, Luca Solca wrote that Burberry’s success “depends on the product and its creative director to generate the heat needed to elevate the brand. Currently, this appears to be lacking, given the avalanche of promotions, reduced wholesale orders, and material outlet exposure, but perceptions can change.”

Citi’s Thomas Chauvet said “the jury’s still out” as to whether Lee’s brand aesthetics can lead to stronger commercial success and double-digit growth, “in a polarized demand environment.”

Chauvet believes that negative sentiment might continue to prevail for “turnaround” stories, such as Gucci and Burberry, over the next six to 12 months.

As reported last month, fellow fashion player Kering said it expected operating profit in the first half to plummet by 40 to 45 percent amid a drop in sales at its star brand Gucci, which is undergoing a revamp under CEO Jean-François Palus, deputy CEO Stefano Cantino, and De Sarno.

The fourth quarter was particularly brutal for Burberry, with comparable store sales in mainland China falling 19 percent. Sales from the overall mainland Chinese consumer group were down 12 percent in the final three months, year-on-year.

“The great thing is we’re now live in terms of the execution, [Daniel’s] product is in our channels, and it’s very easy to get a better read, and to adapt things as we go along. The offer has been transformed and is evolving quite nicely, and we’re still adapting it and changing it. It’s all quite positive,” he said.

He added that Burberry has recently refreshed “a lot of our core, carryover product, and we’ve seen some good early signs of positive reactions to that, as well as an improved quality.”

Akeroyd said Burberry has also gained a “stronger share” of accessories sales in the U.S., where the company has recently refurbished 20 stores. Accessories have been selling well in China, too.

In China “there is a good, strong awareness of Burberry, and of Daniel as a talent, especially on accessories,” said Akeroyd.

“Sales of Daniel’s accessories in China have outpaced the sales of accessories in the rest of the world. And we see this growing week on week, which is positive.
British heritage continues to be a position of strength there,” he added.

The brand plans to push even harder on accessories, with a campaign for Lee’s Knight and Rocking Horse bags set to break in the next two weeks.

In the meantime, the store refurbishment program continues. Akeroyd said that more than 50 percent of Burberry stores having been updated with the new design concept.

Go back to LVMH Daniel.
I’m going to buy all the Burberry by him in outlets by the end of the season lol.

I wonder if the CEO will be fired soon. Because except for the show, signing brand ambassadors, the subway station thing and raising prices, what is his strategy.

How can a brand like Burberry has no news or event on engagement with it audience and clients outside of FW?
i will buy his burbery at the outlets too lol. But I feel bad for him to be sacked though, or maybe i shouldnt, since this is afterall a million dollar pay check he is getting lol

I remember they did make the entire Harrods, yes, even the doorman wearing the burberry blue, so maybe a little was done, other than that, yes i agree it is pretty much off the radar...

If he leaves before his 3 years contract, am I crazy to wish for a Daniel Lee for Fendi?
One thing he can do is fun furs lol

i will buy his burbery at the outlets too lol. But I feel bad for him to be sacked though, or maybe i shouldnt, since this is afterall a million dollar pay check he is getting lol

I remember they did make the entire Harrods, yes, even the doorman wearing the burberry blue, so maybe a little was done, other than that, yes i agree it is pretty much off the radar...
I Bought two pieces at full retail prices (a blouse and the sandals from SS2024). Tbh, while they were at a decent price, that’s still more than I should pay for Burberry.
I love his work. I love his clothes and I think that in terms of artistic direction, it’s really fresh and engaging BUT the prices!

If Akeroyd is persisting in his strategy, it’s his issue.

I think it’s not worth it to buy Burberry at full retail prices. TBH, it’s the case everywhere! I can make an exception for Nicolas.

They should lower the prices of the trench coats first. That’s one item that is staple and deserves a full price treatment. But it should never cost 2K.

“The great thing is we’re now live in terms of the execution, [Daniel’s] product is in our channels, and it’s very easy to get a better read, and to adapt things as we go along. The offer has been transformed and is evolving quite nicely, and we’re still adapting it and changing it. It’s all quite positive,” he said.

He added that Burberry has recently refreshed “a lot of our core, carryover product, and we’ve seen some good early signs of positive reactions to that, as well as an improved quality.”
He'll say anything but the reality : the clothing is priced in the wrong bracket in the market and is far too expensive.

Honestly, what does "evolving quite nicely, and we're still adapting it and changing it," even mean? These CEO's talk in such abstracts that you can't help but laugh.

The demand is there for his clothes, as is evidenced by numerous posters here willing to buy Lee's clothes...at the right price. I'm sure Burberry has been presented with more evidence on this. Why are they continuing on this insane path of "brand elevation"?

I would say that his aesthetic fits better to the taste of TFS who is also part of the cult of JWA, Philo and the like, but feels out of the realm of average customers who just don't have a particular taste or fashion knowledge to appreciate it. As far as I could remember, the accessories from Lee's Bottega was influential in the mass market, but his clothes were far from that probably due to its aesthetic which is quite niche. Like Tisci, I am not surprised his Burberry just doesn't work for the customer base who are quite conservative in my opinion. Despte its heritage, Burberry should be working like Ralph Lauren at its best.

I would say that his aesthetic fits better to the taste of TFS who is also part of the cult of JWA, Philo and the like, but feels out of the realm of average customers who just don't have a particular taste or fashion knowledge to appreciate it. As far as I could remember, the accessories from Lee's Bottega was influential in the mass market, but his clothes were far from that probably due to its aesthetic which is quite niche. Like Tisci, I am not surprised his Burberry just doesn't work for the customer base who are quite conservative in my opinion. Despte its heritage, Burberry should be working like Ralph Lauren at its best.
The level of distribution for BV clothes wasn’t necessarily the same either. It wasn’t even 3% of their sales during Maier’s era.

The distribution of Burberry is larger but you can’t seek elevation while maintaining the same codes such as the check everywhere, have outlets around the world, be sold at various department stores and all.

Burberry has a good image. For me the problem wasn’t image wise but design and relevance wise.

Bailey struggled to speak to a younger audience. Riccardo spoke the good language but lacked vision. Now, they have someone who manages to speak to the right people, with the right products at the wrong prices.

The thing about Daniel Lee is that the good pieces aren’t the logo ones.

There’s obviously a nostalgia for the Bailey era but I think people have moved past that kind of formality.

The reality is that the aesthetic of Phoebe is still prevalent today. So in reality the Daniel Lee taste is very much the now!

Can the Ralph Lauren formula work for Burberry? Maybe. But would it work with the elevation thing? No.
Ralph Lauren is really unapologetic with his business model, the success of Polo. I’m not sure the same would be said about Burberry.

I dont understand burberry .. they should have it easy and they keep doing bizarre things..

i think ralph lauren is like the last man standing who didnt totalllly f*ck everything up with licensing and discounting and private equity, CK is ruined forever, this kind of 'heritage' brand should be easy to maintain, burberry under daniel lee was a very cool idea, the visuals the clothes the new logo are great but the price point is insane + it's too pretentious

like look at wages in the UK, even for like a engineer or top tech job, they can't afford this stuff, so who do they want to wear it?? wealthy chinese elite? influencers who get it for free and have bad taste????

in usa, everyone can wear and own a piece of RL, its timeless and it looks good, even their caps u can see on chic ny girls and their simple leather bags look great, these should be keepsakes-- burberry has more interesting design and the taste level is really high, they could capitalize on that by being at a lower price point but its the same thing happening across luxury brands, theyre chasing a customer that doesnt exist and the quality sucks-- we expect it from gucci etc. but burberry shouldnt be doing that sh*t

The pricing strategy really does them more harm than good. They're trying to be a regional Hermes/Chanel, but they don't realise that that strategy took them 30 to 50 years to bear the fruits it does. It would be much smarter to position themselves in a way that straddles the contemporary and luxury markets. They could do this in two ways:
Price Themselves Competitively
Position the brand alongside brands like Dries Van Noten/Marni/Carven where they can sit higher than accessible luxury without feeling too extortionate. A simple gabardine trench could sell for arond 500 to 700 with more complex models selling for 2'000 to 3'000. Bags could priced a lower too with the Shield selling for around 900 and the Knight selling for 1'200.
or
Split The Brand Into Tiers
Drop the classic models down to a more aspirational price point and restore the Prorsum line to act as the brand's "crown jewel". Burberry Prorsum could have an advantage on typical "Collection" lines by being more radically fashion forward in its propostion. Britain has a lot of subcultures to pull stylistic references from.
Regardless of the pricing strategy, it would be smart for them to build a more upscale image in the case that they want to pull a "British Hermes/Chanel" a few decades down the line.

The pricing strategy really does them more harm than good. They're trying to be a regional Hermes/Chanel, but they don't realise that that strategy took them 30 to 50 years to bear the fruits it does. It would be much smarter to position themselves in a way that straddles the contemporary and luxury markets. They could do this in two ways:

or

Regardless of the pricing strategy, it would be smart for them to build a more upscale image in the case that they want to pull a "British Hermes/Chanel" a few decades down the line.
Burberry isn’t a brand that will ever be accepted as an or perceived on the same level as Hermès or Chanel. It’s a fool’s errand. The only way to do that is become a private company again, make everything in the UK, and be happy selling $500M in product a year.

Prorsum had some popularity within premier clients when they tiered their brands into Sport, London, and Prorsum, but it wasn’t what drove revenue or growth. That was London trenches, classic scarves, and fragrances.

But Burberry collapsed all of that. It’s 3x as hard to claw back luxury perception when you very publicly signal to shoppers that it’s deprioritized.

There’s primarily 3 tiers of luxury: Accessible Luxury / “Modern Luxury” (Coach, Ami, Sandro, Rag & Bone), Luxury (old Gucci, Celine, Saint Laurent), and Premiere (Hermès, Chanel, Dior, Couture).

The middle luxury brands need to stop deserting the middle for the top. Burberry can easily be a $5B brand if they can agree to sell bags from $900 - $2,500 and coats under $1,500. They have the supply chain to ensure quality of product and best rates on materials.

WWD 17 May 2024​

Is Burberry a Victim of Its Own Strategy?​

big-promo
TODAY'S MUST READ After a decade of turnaround attempts, the British trench coat maker’s efforts to thrive as a top luxury player continue to falter.
The brand needs more accessible prices and marketing — and quick.

Just bring back Burberry Brit. The economy isn’t strong enough to rely on a single tier of products at such high prices anymore. At this point a lot of brands should consider bringing back their diffusion lines. He could still do high fashion with Porusm as a marketing tool and have Brit to carry the weight just like the Pre-2015 days. It would take a lot of stress off everyone’s back.

Before they collapsed everything under Tisci, there were three lines: Prorsum, London, and Brit. I always thought they should have folded Brit into London and kept that separate from the runway stuff.

Just bring back Burberry Brit. The economy isn’t strong enough to rely on a single tier of products at such high prices anymore. At this point a lot of brands should consider bringing back their diffusion lines. He could still do high fashion with Porusm as a marketing tool and have Brit to carry the weight just like the Pre-2015 days. It would take a lot of stress off everyone’s back.
Or Burberry Blue Label from Japan, so unique and well made at affordable pricing
But they need a Japanese design team that's not under Daniel's direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->