Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

You could argue that it's simply a matter of appreciation gone wrong, but 'Wuhan Girls'? During a pandemic caused by a virus that originated from Wuhan? No two ways about the intent. I don't believe the apology at all.

Someone pointed out that his checks are being settled with Chinese money but the issue is that fashion creatives operate in a bubble that's why they're so ignorant. It's the designers and the suits who are diplomatic and aware of how much China contributes to the fashion industry. Not the fashion crew.

One thing that I have to say tho, link Michel and friends action toward Asian violent is a bit stretch. Asian mostly get attacked in the USA. And I'm doubt their influence reach that far.

The situation is definitely a lot worse in the US although I do think there is violence in Europe - off the top of my head recently in London a comedian here called Nigel Ng was attacked out of nowhere. And I get your point - what they did was far from violence but I do think that all the little things build up to those big violent acts. As in, when people feel that it is acceptable to make offhand racist comments to their friends, I think it creates a culture where ultimately you're not treating those people with respect. And that attitude kind of builds up to a wider societal attitude that leads to violence. So the wider attitude starts at the bottom with seemingly "meaningless" comments. Not sure if I'm explaining that well but anyway!

The fake apologies and "coincidences" are really tiring and I am less and less keen to forgive them because they really think they are above everyone else. The fact that Gaubert is involved was not surprise to me as I had to work with him and I hated it the first minutes he opened his mouth. He is vulgar and his humor is really pervy.

It is crazy as so many people have no basic human decency and respect for each other.

It will be great if the entire industry took Tom Ford’s (the man, not the brand) approach to social media.
Why feel the need to post every move you make.
People makes racists jokes anyway. Have the intelligence to not expose yourself.

Stupid actions, stupid apologies equal stupid people! You don’t want to get caught, don’t record!

The situation is definitely a lot worse in the US although I do think there is violence in Europe - off the top of my head recently in London a comedian here called Nigel Ng was attacked out of nowhere. And I get your point - what they did was far from violence but I do think that all the little things build up to those big violent acts. As in, when people feel that it is acceptable to make offhand racist comments to their friends, I think it creates a culture where ultimately you're not treating those people with respect. And that attitude kind of builds up to a wider societal attitude that leads to violence. So the wider attitude starts at the bottom with seemingly "meaningless" comments. Not sure if I'm explaining that well but anyway!

There is a lot of underreporting so it's hard to make a broad comparison of where there is violence, harassment and aggression. I read that Australia actually recorded more of this violence and harassment towards Asians than the US per capita.
But anyway, there should be no tolerance for the behavior and rhetoric that plants seeds for harassment, aggression and eventually violence.

^^Such a Lola thing to say. LOL. Make the racist joke, but be clever enough not to get caught.
How about not make it at all? I'm sure their sad little dinner party could've had another theme...

^ "I'm from France and in France, racism is not as important" :lol:

They all sound gross but mostly, what constantly strikes me about some of these fashion industry people who almost exclusively only hang out with other people in their same industry (normal for most fields but not so creative ones) is just... how unfunny they often come off, it's like their sense of humor is really on high school dropout levels and fast food employee type of banter. I assume you gotta snort all kinds of things to truly have a good time in some of these gatherings..

Not surprising, but I'm here for people exposing themselves online so everyone can see lol. "People makes racists jokes anyway. Have the intelligence to not expose yourself." is just a great example of how people don't get it or care to change anything at all. These are the types of people that built and run the modern fashion industry. No matter how many performative infographics they put on their instagram stories or how many BIPOC models they think they need to put in their shows and campaigns, they still can't (or even care to) dig down deep enough inside to realize how damaging their racist and elitist intentions really are. This unconscious bias will continue inform the decisions they make for as long as they live. For me, another example that really nailed this down in my head was that disco Africa party. A ton of people actively working in the industry still refuse to take down their photos from that party and none of them are held accountable. I don't think this institution has any intention to change

^^Such a Lola thing to say. LOL. Make the racist joke, but be clever enough not to get caught.
How about not make it at all? I'm sure their sad little dinner party could've had another theme...
Yes it would be perfect to not make at all...But from I’m seeing it seems like people cannot help themselves.
It’s kind of interesting that no one, absolutely no one found it stupid.

Tbh, I’m getting kind of blasé about it because I’m kind of exhausted to be disappointed by people in the industry.
Sometimes, I wonder if it’s a generational thing. I feel like younger people are little bit more aware of things...

They are stupid...So yes, they should have kept their stupidity to themselves. Even more if the result is a lame apology.

And let’s be honest, they only apologies because they were caught.

Last edited:

They all sound gross but mostly, what constantly strikes me about some of these fashion industry people who almost exclusively only hang out with other people in their same industry (normal for most fields but not so creative ones) is just... how unfunny they often come off, it's like their sense of humor is really on high school dropout levels and fast food employee type of banter. I assume you gotta snort all kinds of things to truly have a good time in some of these gatherings..

The reality is that a lot of people in the industry we talk about are indeed high school drop outs from as far back as the 60's, 70's and 80's. Unfortunately, these are the luckier ones who were able to escape the classist repurcussions of not having a high school or college degree.

This industry tends to attract low skill and low education workers because there aren't many if any prerequisites like degrees and certificates. For every person who fails to make it in the industry, there are people under these conditions who get lucky and become wealthy and influential. It is sad for the former but you have to wonder how the later attains so much power and what that means for media society.

you have to wonder how the later attains so much power.
Frankly I don't give that much thought to it, when someone (or multiple people on a regular basis) come off like that and have no discernible or just truly astonishing talent but are extremely successful, I always just assume the strategy is recreational drugs and sucking up to those above you (figuratively and.. hm).. and just carry on.

I'm sorry Ms. Lola but I have to unstan :rofl:.

They have these dinners every week for 6 years so who knows what they even do when the camera not rolling?

At one point, I realized I have to look the other way and hoping that my favorites smart enough not to expose themselves like this. If I want to keep my interest in fashion because these people only see people like me as a gold mine.

Unfortunately there’s a sort of passivity (is it a word?) towards racism.
I’m lucky I know how to stand up for others and myself but people who experiences racism sometimes takes it as joke, they laugh about it, they banalises it. And in circles of Power or elitists world like fashion, even more in those higher sphere, people are not used to be challenged for their racists actions.

I’m losing my mind everytime I check someone and to tell that what they said or did was racist! They will have a whole exposé to tell me that I’m tripping or taking things too seriously.

And I have to say, the Asian community has been a victim of the misconception people have of them.

And I think the raise of Stop Asian Hate needs to start conversations. More than the fashion industry, (I can only speak from what I see and know) in the corporate world too.

I mean, Gaubert apologies to his Asian friends. And why saying that you have always included people of colors. It’s not the issue here.

I know my original comment was kinda harsh or maybe insensitive but it really seems like people cannot help themselves with having racist tendencies and are only embarrassed by that when caught.

Tbh, I’m getting kind of blasé about it because I’m kind of exhausted to be disappointed by people in the industry.

That's exactly my feeling. The older and older I am, the more and more I distance myself from fashion people. The issue when you start working with people that you used to deeply respect or admire is that you end up quite disappointed.

And what I hate the most about racism in Paris is that it is very subtle, very sneaky. Gaubert will still be booked as usual because deep down, most of the people in the industry found it funny or not hurtful. Olivier Rousteing even liked the now-deleted post whereas he is 1) young and 2) black so I just think that fashion insiders are 80% garbage people. That's harsh but that's the truth.

I can’t stand bryanboy and his comments about racism. He is so out of touch.
He posted this after the Asian mask controversy and it’s so tone deaf. Does he think a group of people deserve respect just because they buy luxury items? I’ve seen him make similar comments countless of times.

He posted this tweet once in response to someone asking what kind of people like to buy Chanel clothing. He didn’t need to say to stop looking at “other caucasians and black”.

F1C34521-234D-4341-93CD-C8BE61B6EF65.jpeg

I don't want to comment on the side of western perspective this time, but want to point out that those stuck-up rich Chinese rarely give a damn on racism. It's the same way they treat and perceive other ethical groups/southwestern Asian. Ironically though, they will be fine if their country don't hostage them for nationalism.

I probably have some different perspectives on the above.

1. Don't think Bryanboy is saying Chinese people deserve respect cos they buy luxury items. I think the point is that the China market is close to the only thing keeping most luxury brands alive now. As an equity analyst covering consumer companies no one ever talks about anything on earnings calls except China and it has been that way for years. Yet somehow, even though the industry knows China is the most important market, Chinese consumers are still looked down on as if they are not as sophisticated or classy as Europeans. France is still held up as the epitome of chic, but it isn't French consumers buying most luxury goods. Chinese consumers fund these people's lifestyles yet they're treated as second class.

2. @JohannesL that comment kind of makes me wonder how many Chinese friends you have. I'm from Australia (e.g. where Asians are a big part of the population) so I always grew up with Chinese friends at high school, uni and work. My Chinese friends (most who grew up in China) are hurt by racism like anyone else and honestly I find them to be far less casually racist than many white friends. They are not stuck up, they are normal human beings, and it isn't correct to generalise entire populations based on a bad experience you have had or cliches heard from non-Chinese people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strigi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->