Maison Margiela Artisanal Haute Couture F/W 2020.21 Paris

Between the video and the look book (?) that’s on vogue runway ... is it impossible to get a straightforward look at this collection

Totally! I cannot understand why so much work making a collection...just to get it all ruined by dark and blurry pics, which don´t allow to show the result!

Judging by the pictures, it is nothing new.
Most of it looks like an extension of the last outfit from the previous show. I also see Comme Des Garcons influence.
The red dress at the end seems interesting but I feel like its mostly because of the photography.
Galliano needs a creative reset. His work is getting exhausting.

Just had the chance to watch this today! I really loved seeing how it all came together.
He seems really happy & like he truly appreciates everyone that he is working with too.

I also viewed the lookbook, from what I saw in the film & the photos, it seems like a pretty interesting collection.
I know Galliano doesn’t just need clothes..he needs characters, stories, etc.. to bring the collection to life... and the low lighting adds to the drama of the collection...

But I really hope we can see the clothes in brighter lighting too lol

Between the video and the look book (?) that’s on vogue runway ... is it impossible to get a straightforward look at this collection

LOL. Same here. I even took it one step further by listening to John narrating the show notes on Margiela's podcast channel. And let me just say that after 4 G&Ts it's still as vague to me as that video presentation.

I initially was disappointed with the lighting, too. And while I wish there were more pics to see each look 360°, I actually think the presentation with this lighting is A+. It made me look at each photo close up to see the details, as well as to read the descriptions. Once you understand the components and move back to see the whole look, the faint ethereal lighting emphasizes the idea he was trying to portray of the heroic mythological gods and goddesses looking down on us. I think it is SO poetic but there is also a chance I might be losing my mind so idk lol

It was interesting watching how they work, even we have see a lot of videos of couture making and this style looks so dated, the pieces are interesting but the photoshop effects looks terrible in the video and just hide the pieces, I dindnt like too much the way they presented this collection, lots of photographers take Galliano pieces and make amazing work. I just think there is not a match between the dated style video and the clothes.

Some pictures you see if you appy the invert effect.
tumblr_messaging_qdky73Gnwo1qjaf32_1280.jpg

9e08c2dc8429a8302bf687bcadbe163342101d29.jpg

6a8bab8427a22a2b09dd78c520be271e95b782dc.jpg

9c12d0cebcca3ae6b55f4ff16ad71d431693f645.jpg

Just watched the full video/documentary.

John is always a joy. I love his mind and his process and his curiosity. He's so wonderful. He's my favorite.

And seeing the fittings of the "wet" tulle dresses is really stunning and so innovative. However, it's still a shame how his Margiela gets bogged down in the styling and visual marketing aspects of the presentations. You really miss how truly gorgeous and masterful these clothes are. Something much more straightforward in presentation would, I think, give the work a real chance to shine and be as monumental as it oftentimes actually is.

Pause the film at 28:27 and look at the jacket's label tag. Honestly, I'm kind of here for it haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annetbef
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->