MET Costume Institute Gala 2024 : Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion

Not the best red carpet ever but my favs (not in any particular order and maybe they're the only ones I liked)

- Isabelle Hupert
- Alia Bhatt
- Donatella Versace
- Gwendonlyn
- Taylor Russell
- Kendall Jenner (both carpet and after party's looks)
- Alex Sharp
- Ugbah
- Emma Chamberlain
- Da'Vine and Gigi from the waist down
- Lana Del Rey (I am happy it's not the same dress. ofc it's not even close to the mastery of the original but she looks GOOD!)
- Naomi also looked gorgeous

Ummmmm yeah so that at all happened and meant nothing. And it's pretty exhausting seeing Galliano at Margiela doing anything but Margiela with Gwendoline going way too ham in the moment (honestly, go away with this it was one time and wasn't that great, just corny).

It was a pretty boring MET, not that they ever excited me all that much. It just seems like a money laundering scheme or a huge tax write off for the donors and attendees. What it is this year is incredibly trite. BUT that is the state of fashion now. A huge walking one-dimensional cliche of fashion trophy hunters and advertising.

Tom looked suave as always. Anna is always simple, but I do love it. Pamela was great (Pat did her makeup good), and those that opted for simplicity I enjoyed even if they were rare. Everything else can just go up in flames. Even the archive McQueen for Givenchy. I love it because it is McQueen, but I don't need to see it again like this.

The Met Gala has become soo repetitive. Everything's so rehearsed and calculated. There's no fun anywhere, no spontaneity ! Everybody's overdressing, they all look like people from the Hunger Games. That white carpet is hideously cold. What goes on inside seems boring and tiring. Before it felt like a fun night out I'd love to be a part of but now it looks like a dull thing I'd be ashamed to pay for. The worst part is hearing about how long it took to make the dresses. I don't care. Bore someone else.

I mean this event has always been pretentious nonsense from the very beginning. And quite frankly, a cringey display of human excess.

The saddest thing is the industry has fooled the public into thinking this event represents the pinnacle of style and taste, when it's just a bunch of thirsty celebs and even thirstier 'stylists'.

I think for a few years (maybe around 2010?) the MET Gala was exciting but like most of the fashion industry it's just become POOR PEOPLE P0RN.

I mean this event has always been pretentious nonsense from the very beginning. And quite frankly, a cringey display of human excess.

The saddest thing is the industry has fooled the public into thinking this event represents the pinnacle of style and taste, when it's just a bunch of thirsty celebs and even thirstier 'stylists'.

I think for a few years (maybe around 2010?) the MET Gala was exciting but like most of the fashion industry it's just become POOR PEOPLE P0RN.
I would have loved to attend when Vreeland was around. She seemed like such a riot and so much fun to be around ! Anna can sound very boring, much like her brothers and sister who think they're better than her because they don't work in fashion. She's done very well for herself and so did her children.

I think I know what's going wrong. The people who come to the Met Gala only care about showing themselves. That's why it's becoming insufferable. They just wanna be photographed, yelled at, lifted up, looked at, stared at, gawked at, talked about, cared for. I'd say they don't even care about the evening. How do you walk, dance, eat or talk in those outfits ? You don't. Let's not even mention the museum or the exhibit which looks very underwhelming this year. It's not even a talking point. $75,000 a ticket for a night of self-aggrandizement.

Last edited:
Best Dressed:
Tyla - A star is born.
Zendaya
Emma Chamberlain
Teyana Taylor
Taylor Russell

Worst Dressed:
Class clown Doja Cat
Dua Lipa
The Chanel girls minus Michelle Williams - I loved her dress.

Barry looks cute as romantic prince. Tom is my king, he always looks good. I loved Donatella and her boys.

And we need to talk about the Chloe 's girls:
Carefree, fashionable, easy. Total opposite of Margiela' stiff couture.

The Met Gala has become soo repetitive. Everything's so rehearsed and calculated. There's no fun anywhere, no spontaneity ! Everybody's overdressing, they all look like people from the Hunger Games. That white carpet is hideously cold. What goes on inside seems boring and tiring. Before it felt like a fun night out I'd love to be a part of but now it looks like a dull thing I'd be ashamed to pay for. The worst part is hearing about how long it took to make the dresses. I don't care. Bore someone else.
I totally agree. I was just bored. I just feel like its the same old thing every year.

They should add two mandatory rules to the dress code: it's forbidden to wear a black tuxedo, and it's forbidden to wear anything you can't walk in and need the assistance of 9 people to set up your dress or carry you around because all you want is to "get the shot"...

Favorites
All of Loewe's guests
Nicole Kidman
Donatella Versace
Jeff Goldblum

Terrible (this could be 90% of the looks if I'm honest, so just those that come to mind)
Doja Cat
Tyla
Lizzo
Jennie
J.Lo
Cardi B
Lana del Rey
Nicki Minaj
Mindy Kaling

Honorable mention
SJP because she makes anything hers
Anyone dressed by Thom Browne because somehow it always works well for the Met gala

Side note: very confused about the Chloé approach to this... The guests looked nice but that's a costume gala, not the weekend's brunch event for the fashion girls. Lame.

I think when all is said and done, there were a decent amount of attendees who I thought looked great. It's just that the clownish looks tend to occupy most of the space and conversation.

Personally I don't really care about attendees adhering to the theme. No one ever did it 30 years ago but now it feels like people - especially on social media - are particularly militant about those who (seemingly) don't follow the dress code.

Taylor Russell, Dan Levy and Greta Lee in Loewe
Zendaya in Givenchy
Kendall Jenner in Givenchy
Michelle Williams in Chanel
Lana Del Rey and Usher in McQueen
Imaan Hammam in Swarovski
Naomi Campbell in Burberry
Gwendoline Christie in Margiela
Colman Domingo in Willy Chavarria
Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts and Isabelle Huppert in Balenciaga
Charli XCX in Marni
Meg Ryan in Michael Kors