MET Costume Institute Gala 2024 : Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion

I really didn’t like it this year. I didn’t feel the energy. Nothing really popped, plus I feel like the celebrities present were not exciting. I know the theme was slightly confusing, but that should have been more reason to think outside the box.

bookmark this post for when the costume institute announces next year's exhibit: "john galliano: les incroyables and fashion revolution" lmao

What’s wrong with it ? You alright

I was referring to a photo of Rihanna and A$AP from last year's gala that they used as the live stream thumbnail and I resented their choice of visual representation for the event. There are far better looks to stare at before the event started. Zendaya's new image is already a better choice :P

Honestly, I have never followed the MET Gala, but I'm just here for the comments:

they all look like people from the Hunger Games.
Lol what's up with Kim's filthy-looking sweater and looking like she's passing gas.
Haven't laughed this hard in a while from anything on the Internet. 😂

Nothing on this gala really knocked my socks off, but there were a few decent looks:
Pamela Anderson (!!!), Lana del Rey (ethereal without being costumey), Taylor Russell, Kendall Jenner (in McQueen's Givenchy), and Gigi Hadid. I love Penelope Cruz' hairstyle and overall vibe, because that's her style.

Side note: very confused about the Chloé approach to this... The guests looked nice but that's a costume gala, not the weekend's brunch event for the fashion girls. Lame.
You nailed it with this comment. :lol:👏

I usually find this guy annoying but he perfectly articulated why I find the kneejerk "they didn't follow the theme!!" critiques annoying.

Best:
Taylor Russell: I feel it was the most interesting, the most current (for lack of a better word), and a refreshing take on the theme. Literal without being too literal, executed to perfection. And she is just so damn beautiful.
Zendaya: Both looks were perfect. I love that she told a story: from an evil witch to ingenue. The change of makeup is what really sealed the deal for me. That and the way she posed on the RC. She understands it, she loves it, she wants it. And, most importantly, she owns it. You can tell!
Nicole Kidman: I don’t know if she is Demna's favorite ambassador, but he really has been delivering amazing looks for her. (The gold moment for her lifetime achievement awards was also something.) I love their interpretation of the theme and how this dress could have looked very average on most people. But Nicole turned it.
Lauren Santo Domingo: Perfectly chic, very on-brand (both for her and Loewe) + perfectly in the theme without getting too costumey.
Rebecca Ferguson: I loved the story here too. Even though I feel like reveals on the red carpets are so random. But the Met Gala is pretty much the best place for it. The craftsmanship on the dress though was particularly exceptional. And I loved how it felt Thom Browne without screaming Thom Browne.
Alia Bhatt: The breakthrough of this year in my opinion. What a vision. She understood the assignment and delivered such a fresh interpretation. I love Art Nouveau, and it was such a great inspiration for this theme.
Anok Yai: Simply divine. The only one of the Swarovski clones or I guess 4 seasons? Whose look could really stand on her own. She is just beyond flawless, but the execution of the look from the makeup to the hair and the gorgeous bodysuit was so on point. She looked like a real-life fairy.
Josh O’Connor: Flawless. The tailoring, the dramatic jacket, the boots. Just perfect.
Omar Apollo: I loved the details of the jacket and the overall styling. Jonathan Anderson really knows how to cut a suit.
Kendall Jenner: That’s archive done right. Even though I am already tired of this "vintage" craze. It is exciting to see these amazing pieces worn. If they are done justice and worn well (yes, I am looking at you Em Rata...). Both Kendall looks felt very her, on theme but subversive enough to be a visual statement outside of the Gala context. Besides the styling + hair & makeup were fab. Harris Dickinson: Great shirt, great suit, gorgeous man.

Worst:
Lana del Rey: Honestly, I feel sorry for her. I don’t know who the gays on her team are who let her go out like this. But Lana, these gays aren’t your friends...
Doja Cat: There is nothing more pathetic than a stunt that falls flat.
Sydney Sweeney: The wig and the gloves completely overwhelmed her + the look. They tried to do something to clash with the princess ball gown, but it didn’t work. Also, how is this Miu Miu??
Sabrina Carpenter: I don’t know who that person is. But one thing I know, is that I hate dramatic trains for no purpose. The trains are getting more and more ridiculous at the MET Gala. It’s simply a waste of fabric at this point.
Dua Lipa: Can do so much better. And Marc too... Though he very often tends to do Marc and not fully go for the theme lately. I just find the whole thing so unflattering and try-hard.

Honorable Mentions:
SJP: She came dressed as the fairy godmother, and only SJP can execute campy and costumey right. She is (NY) fashion’s godmother in a way. And every MET Gala show it. Even if I expected more from her, she is always so effortless and so poised, and she has fun. (Once again I am reminded how much I wish she would take over Vogue from AW one day.)
Venus Williams: I thought it was a very beautiful and fun interpretation of the theme. (The disco reference but at the same time, she reminded me of a spirit of the forest... maybe I am reading too much into it though). It was cut to perfection, and she looked so regal.
Elle Fanning: Gorgeous dress, gorgeous Elle, and on theme. Just a little extra something was missing.
Naomi Watts: Not fully on theme but extremely elegant.
Tyla: Could have been such a moment. The dress is really interesting, amazing interpretation of the theme, the bag was not needed though. However, if you can not walk, andneed to be carried up the stairs by 5 people its not really it. Sorry.
I did like seeing Rousteing cutting the dress once she got inside, quite cool in concept but yeah..

I get all the dislike for the Lana del Rey look, but somehow I think it works for her. That being said, I am not her fan at all and while I do not hate her music, I think she's the most overrated 'alternative' artist of all times (she's as pop and as prefabricated as they come in a guise of 'indie'). She's an extremely commercial version of Hope Sandoval (who I'd listen to any day over her).

However, even if I would have never normally even considered a look as bold as that, it is like an artistic statement, it is very creative and somehow beautiful. Maybe it is not 'classy' or what people normally would consider 'tasteful' for an event like that, yet it is very interesting to look at and ethereal. Maybe it's a love/hate thing comparable to the Björk swan dress? (not that Lana could ever compare to Björk artistically). I don't know, however, it is memorable and not in the worst way.

^ I feel you, this year's team would have been perfect for them considering their history of wearing vintage pieces to the Met gala. I wonder why they don't attend anymore... Their last time was 2019 I believe...

^ I feel you, this year's team would have been perfect for them considering their history of wearing vintage pieces to the Met gala. I wonder why they don't attend anymore... Their last time was 2019 I believe...
I wonder if this is the reason why... They are also practically hermits nowadays.

the row is a dupe brand. anna cannot realistically be expected to treat them the same as even daniel rossbury.

Michael Kors and Meg Ryan - this is a perfect combo. Michael probably pushed countless women to make a decision to buy his perfume or $500 purse. this is the kind of person you dress - someone with a following with buying power. Meg Ryan is also distinctly Manhattan and is sort of the embodiment of a celebrity in Manhattan - on the street in streetwear, carrying her groceries in a reusable bag. So in many ways Meg is a perfect fit for him and his brand. Michael - as usual - doing everything right.

1715263226929.png
People

Last edited:
The McQueen and Galliano archive pieces are probably the best things there, but is it neccesary for the designer to bring back the old Chole to the costume gala? I understand the collection was well-received, but they all look out of place!

at this point i'm so sick of that artisanal collection. i want his margiela to go back to the way it was before this show...

the margiela we want :wub:

KIM_3862.jpg
KIM_3492.jpg
KIM_3759.jpg

the margiela we're getting... lol

00001-maison-margiela-spring-2024-couture-credit-gorunway.jpg
00043-maison-margiela-spring-2024-couture-credit-gorunway.jpg

Last edited:
I hate how Vogue covers this event cause what do you mean Linda Evangelista & Tom Ford were there? (His shady *** in SL :P)

I thought the chloe girls looked awesome. Like a bunch of nymphs in the forest fantasy.

I feel like social media has ruined fashion, we focus on who people are than what they are wearing. Where annoying personalities and social media presence sway our opinion on what they are wearing.
Also because literally everyone uses a stylist, so it all just feels phony, empty, boring.

I thought the chloe girls looked awesome. Like a bunch of nymphs in the forest fantasy.
The collection would have been easy to interpret the theme because it was so ethereal in a way. But the fact that they were literally dressed in the exact same styling from the show made it really awkward. They stand out, not for the right reasons. It felt like a big product placement, like everything else, but it was the least subtle of all. Also, at one point, too much ruffles is too much ruffles... and that was way too many ruffles standing next to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtdrone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->