Most influential movie on fashion?

Melisande said:
I agree, these movies are on a different level since they influenced fashion history and defined an era, not only caused passing trends.:flower:
I also agree with Breakfast at Tiffany's and Rebel Without a Cause, Desparately Seeking Susan :heart: and Pretty in Pink for the same reason.

Also from Audrey: Roman Holiday (pixie cut!), Sabrina (capri pants, aka "Sabrina pants" at the time)

We can't avoid giving credit to Top Gun too...all those bomber jackets and girls with that wavy, side-parted hairstyle :P

You just listed my three favorite Audrey movies all in one post.:heart:

I have to agree with Sabrina too...........the men were so dapper, and her cropped pants were big at the time.

Hum .. both McQueen and Galliano had done ENTIRE collections inspired on the film¨They shoot horses, dont they¨¨

Akira

maybe off topic:
modesty blaise was to have not a little influence on Milan 30 years later.
also, planet of the apes on helmut lang

from asahi-net.or.jp

Attachments

• ts.jpg
    ts.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 291
i like romie and michele's high school reunion, alot of the colorful clothes, especially the trendy huge sunglasses were def. an influence.

Although I own it and have yet to watch it (though that's not for lack of trying), I'd argue Grey Gardens - especially as of late.

Has anyone said The Royal Tenenbaums? Margot Tenenbaum's ensembles are the stuff of my J.D Salinger dreams.

serena775 said:
i like romie and michele's high school reunion, alot of the colorful clothes, especially the trendy huge sunglasses were def. an influence.

Definitely - that was right around the time that rave clothes started evolving, and everyone was wearing those shiny, colorful vinyl dresses and such.

i second almost famous. It doesn't hurt it's one of my favorite movies, but I think the clothes are fabulous. It's not subtle in any way but that's why I love it so much. Like pennylanes coat and her friend (red hair, why can't I remember the name??) with her sheer/see threw contraptions.

and the guys, well, if your into rockish styling, the movie is perfect.

belle de jour, anyone?

belledejour0pk.jpg

soundtrackcollector.com

in the mood for love
breakfast at tiffanys
bonnie and clyde
qaudraphenia
alphaville
crooklyn
the doors

Marlon Brando in The wild one and the whole leather jacket and white t-shirt with jeans biker look.

Alain Delon in Le Samurai influencing (among others) John Woo in A better tomorrow (1-2) and The Killer influencing Quentin Tarantino in reservoir dogs and pulp fiction and the whole assassin in shades, elegant suit and tie and trenchcoat smoking a cigarette look.

La dolce vita for the indolent, decadent aristocratic look you see lots of fashion houses putting forward and those amazing sunglasses.

Blow Up for promoting the mod look.

Woman in the dunes, I don't think this had an impact on the general public but the sheer sensuality with which Teshigahara shot sand covered skin and his esthetic choice to focus on tactile sensation (you almost want to run your hand along the screen to "touch" the movie) certainly had a great impact on fashion photography. See all modern beach shots for exemple.

TrainspottingI can still remember how this movie helped swtich the focus from raver/clubber inspired outfits to punk rockish, dirty, thin heroin addict style.

Annie Hall: a women wearing a ralph Lauren wardrobe intended for the boys, might not be up to "Le smoking" level but still had a pretty big influence. And who doesn't love a women who's as affraid of lobsters as you are :smile:

To catch a thief: had to include some Cary Grant in there, oh yeah Grace Kelly played in that movie too. Grant is considered, among suit-loving circles, to have been the best dressed man ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, excellent choices Fuuma! Love your descriptions too.

How could I forget:

Bogart in Casablanca...trench/hat!

Marlene Dietrich in Morocco...The Tux.

Belle de Jour and To Catch a Thief reminded me:
Deneuve in Les Parapluies de Cherbourg ,
Grace Kelly in Rear Window

Melisande said:
Ooh, excellent choices Fuuma! Love your descriptions too.

How could I forget:

Bogart in Casablanca...trench/hat!

Marlene Dietrich in Morocco...The Tux.

Belle de Jour and To Catch a Thief reminded me:
Deneuve in Les Parapluies de Cherbourg ,
Grace Kelly in Rear Window

Good call on Marlene and the whole tuxedo look. BTW I'm not that knowledgeable in recent US movies, anybody saw something that they feel might be a huge influence in the future?

I would say...
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Clueless
Grease
Saturday Night Fever!!
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction

Fuuma said:
Marlon Brando in The wild one and the whole leather jacket and white t-shirt with jeans biker look.

Alain Delon in Le Samurai influencing (among others) John Woo in A better tomorrow (1-2) and The Killer influencing Quentin Tarantino in reservoir dogs and pulp fiction and the whole assassin in shades, elegant suit and tie and trenchcoat smoking a cigarette look.

La dolce vita for the indolent, decadent aristocratic look you see lots of fashion houses putting forward and those amazing sunglasses.

Blow Up for promoting the mod look.

Woman in the dunes, I don't think this had an impact on the general public but the sheer sensuality with which Teshigahara shot sand covered skin and his esthetic choice to focus on tactile sensation (you almost want to run your hand along the screen to "touch" the movie) certainly had a great impact on fashion photography. See all modern beach shots for exemple.

TrainspottingI can still remember how this movie helped swtich the focus from raver/clubber inspired outfits to punk rockish, dirty, thin heroin addict style.

Annie Hall: a women wearing a ralph Lauren wardrobe intended for the boys, might not be up to "Le smoking" level but still had a pretty big influence. And who doesn't love a women who's as affraid of lobsters as you are :smile:

To catch a thief: had to include some Cary Grant in there, oh yeah Grace Kelly played in that movie too. Grant is considered, among suit-loving circles, to have been the best dressed man ever.

I so agree with the bolded part.

I was trying to think of that movie when I mentioned my James Dean reference, but it kept escaping me.

baroquelike said:
Although I own it and have yet to watch it (though that's not for lack of trying), I'd argue Grey Gardens - especially as of late.

Has anyone said The Royal Tenenbaums? Margot Tenenbaum's ensembles are the stuff of my J.D Salinger dreams.

yes! whoever styled that movie did an amazing job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rantanplan1980
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->