Most influential movie on fashion?

Breakfast at Tiffany's
Audrey Hepburn

It launched, "the little black dress".

Oversized sunglasses.

All of it is classic. The fashion has never gone out. And I don't think it will. So elegant. *sigh*

theridiculous said:
Good choices Fuuma! Movies that inspired me:

Rebel Without A Cause (I know, how original)
The Wild One
Blow-Up
A Summer Place
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Bullit ( Desert Boots!)
Cool Hand Luke
Juice ( 90's Hip-Hop)
Beatstreet (B-Boy style)

Great thread!

Oh yeah..........Fast Times at Ridgemont High -- those Vans were HUGE after this movie.

Still are today.

I'm thinking "The talented Mr. Ripley" for the fluffy dresses and folded trousers (well, maybe not as much in the US)

Breakfast at Tiffany's, of course.

A lot of collections, particularly Marc Jacobs a few seasons back, were inspired (or appeared to be) by the movie Secretary.

And the Virgin Suicides' clothing on the girls seems to be a staple in Chloe's past collections.

my favorite style in films were from:

Paris Blues
Crooklyn
Almost Famous
Black Orpheus
Elodie Bouchez as Isa in Dreamlife of Angels(very dereclite chic)

theridiculous said:
Good choices Fuuma! Movies that inspired me:

Rebel Without A Cause (I know, how original)
The Wild One
Blow-Up
A Summer Place
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Bullit ( Desert Boots!)
Cool Hand Luke
Juice ( 90's Hip-Hop)
Beatstreet (B-Boy style)

Great thread!

Good call on the b-boys movies, I wouldn't say they had a wide influence on many people (you're talking about movies that influenced you anyway) but late 80s and 90s hip hop is such a big influence on fashion now and those movie reflect that.

Bonchic said:
just to name a few of my favorite classics^_^ :heart:

To Catch a Thief
How To Marry a Millionaire
Rear Window
Dial M for Murder
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Funny Face
How To Steal a Million
Charade
Sabrina
Singin' in the Rain
GiGi

Incredible list. Glad to see Texas represented so well.B)

I would include:

Breakfast at Tiffany's (maybe the alltime best fashion flick)
Amelie (the boots and the hair were too cool)
A Clockwork Orange (Alex was before his time. He was even before THIS time. Totally weird outfit.:P )
Blowup (oddly surreal take on sixties fashion photography and photographers)
Zabriskie Point (ultimate hippie chic)
Das Boot (all time coolest submarine captain)
8 1/2 (all time best Italian director chic)
Metropolis (best future chic)
Mighty Joe Young (best gorilla chic)
The Pink Panther (Capucine was killer!)

There are many more. It is quite obvious that movies have had an ENORMOUS influence on fashion.

GREAT THREAD!!!

GB

Last edited by a moderator:
And of course I am particularly fond of Monster Chic:

Dracula (Bela Lugosi was a trip. Tuxedoes have never looked better!)
Frankenstein (Those neck handles on Boris Karloff have always intrigued me.:P )
Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney as "Erik the Phantom" was hideous!)

There is just something about those old horror movies (and those old actors) that is super creepy!^_^

Oh yes, there is nothing quite like Mel Brooks' stunning interpretation of "Hitler Chic" in the original The Producers.:lol:

GB

This may just be me.

But I often feel like alot of the Dior Homme stuff is very reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange.

Anybody else think resevoir dogs? Well cut suits, black skinny ties, wayfarers! Im not sure if it was less influential and more reminiscent of fashion at the time.

Ianastar said:
This may just be me.

But I often feel like alot of the Dior Homme stuff is very reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange.

I agree. Sixties inspired, but not that kind of nicely groomed mod style. My oppinion might have to do with my sister trying to wear Alex inspired clothes. She tried the white shirt, trousers and bowler hat combo, not to mention the fake eyelashes on just one eye. Other styles she has tried include Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean and all the Hook imagery (imagine a six foot chic in the middle of the day, in a very crouded spot in the capital of a silly eastern europe country, with tall boots, huuge jewellery and a pirate hat:D ), hobbit style ( vests, edwardian shirts,corduroy jackets and cropped trousers), Star Wars (a Queen Amidala makeup and hairdo, Jedi attire..now she is dreaming of a Vader outfit), The Nightmare Before Christmas (Jack Skelington makeup, Grim reaper dress complete with black cloak), Beetlejuice (stripped suits, black eye makeup), Trainspotting (Renton jackets- that's how she calls them, skinny jeans, big t-shirts, looking like a junkie and scaring the crap out of old ladies on public transport busses:smile:) and Memoirs of a Geisha (kimonos, white socks and stokings, emroidered silk etc.)

She might just be a crazy movie freak but i think that most designers draw their inspiration in the same way.

ank9 said:
My oppinion might have to do with my sister trying to wear Alex inspired clothes. She tried the white shirt, trousers and bowler hat combo, not to mention the fake eyelashes on just one eye. Other styles she has tried include Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean and all the Hook imagery (imagine a six foot chic in the middle of the day, in a very crouded spot in the capital of a silly eastern europe country, with tall boots, huuge jewellery and a pirate hat:D ), hobbit style ( vests, edwardian shirts,corduroy jackets and cropped trousers), Star Wars (a Queen Amidala makeup and hairdo, Jedi attire..now she is dreaming of a Vader outfit), The Nightmare Before Christmas (Jack Skelington makeup, Grim reaper dress complete with black cloak), Beetlejuice (stripped suits, black eye makeup), Trainspotting (Renton jackets- that's how she calls them, skinny jeans, big t-shirts, looking like a junkie and scaring the crap out of old ladies on public transport busses:smile:) and Memoirs of a Geisha (kimonos, white socks and stokings, emroidered silk etc.) She might just be a crazy movie freak but i think that most designers draw their inspiration in the same way.

I think we need to start a separate thread for your sister. Do you have any Polaroids?B)

GB

:D yeah, i do have some, but i'll have either to be very convincing with her or to find a way of sneaking them out without her noticing. anyway, i'll give it a shot..maybe after sunday, when i finish my exams

I think Breakfast at Tiffany's has to be the most influential movie on fashion mostly because the clothes are so classic and beautiful so they still translate to today. I also love her clothes in Wait Until Dark.

The movies that have influenced me the most are The Graduate and Gidget. ^_^

We need some pictures. So far, good list.

Mia's hair in Rosemary's Baby, from planet-wissen.de

amanda_peet1.jpg

amanda_peet9.jpg

Igby Goes Down(one of my favs), from movies.yahoo.com

Bonnie and Clyde, from movies.go.com

Superfly, from greencine.com

Rebel Without A Cause, from sensesofcinema.com

My Own Private Idaho (almost like an ode to Rebel Without A Cause), from riverphoenix.org

Clockwork Orange :wink:
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Clueless
the Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Resevoir Dogs

We need some pictures. So far, good list.

I agree. Here's one of Audrey ushering in the era of the lampshade hat.^_^

GB

178572.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alintus
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->