The Interior Decor Thread! #2

Relatable content from everyone. Like sussein, I'm also not rich and I'm scared of making these commitments and then regretting it and feeling like I need to live with my mistakes for a while. I found a dining table I love and now it's like "well, the chairs I have aren't really going to work" so I want to get different ones, but I'm second guessing my own taste. Or I'm coming to the realization my taste isn't "good" taste and the things I admire in other's houses aren't the things I choose for myself. It's the conflict between choosing something I feel most passionate about in the moment vs. an enduring classic I know I'll never dislike or grow tired of even if I'm not excited about it. And I feel like my taste is all over the board. I've always loved the look of very simple, boxy, slip-covered sofas but I have a growing collection of these kind of ostentatious (garish? but I love them) House of Hackney cushions and the contrast feels too obvious in my mind. And it's like that with everything. So maybe the real progress I need to make is to be more willing to swing for the fences on big pieces, on furniture and rugs and wallcoverings or paint and not just on the little décor pieces. The more unique things I have and the art I've got strike me potentially being too much like a "pop of color" cliche if I go too safe with the big things. Right now in my apartment it's very lived-in and everything is layered and it just sort of works together but I feel it will take years to recreate that unstudied look. Especially because this new place is a bit shall we say "builder grade" and pretty much devoid of any built-in character, charm, or history.

Usually my 1stdibs window shopping is for major pieces or art but you're right there are all sorts of beautiful things that are less of a commitment and investment but when collected overtime could form a cohesive and honest expression of things I love. A couple of years ago I started following an artist whose work I love, and their work can go for well into the 6 figures, which... no can do. So I decided to pay attention to the artists *they* liked, and found some I loved, less well known, and vastly more affordable. Have picked up a few pieces in the last year and am realizing I'm drawn to quite specific looks and mediums. And so now I'm realizing that by just trusting my gut and getting things I'm drawn to without worrying how they fit in or work together, when I take a step back (in the case of my pinterest board, seeing everything assembled together in neat little rectangles) I can see the throughline. Fashionista-ta, it's clear from your purchases you have a thing for Swedish pieces. And some deco! I love seeing genuine expressions of personal taste like that. It's exciting and nerve wracking. Everytime I'm tempted to be like "let's go the Colin King route and just do 50 shades of beige" I realize my most beloved things would never fit into that.

Also not to be too basic, but Nickey Kehoe is another enduring inspiration/want.

Last edited:
^ Yes, there's a lot more Deco not pictured here :wink: It's much easier to find than Swedish. I was very into Deco for a long time, and more recently Swedish things, and I have both together in my rooms.

You're right that these things take time, and I would say don't be scared of that. I'm lucky that my new dining table goes quite well with my old chairs, but it's true that a new space really changes a lot in terms of what works in it, and one decision may lead to more change. I think Pinterest is really a useful tool. When I was working on my bedroom, I was putting all the pieces together in my head. With some experience under my belt, I'm more confident that my disparate things will work together.

I am not one to get tired of things that I ever really loved, so I don't really understand that phenomenon, so a little caveat there. Based on that, my advice would be not to go for safe and basic, but what you really love (and I think there's a possible combination of both). I do think about what I would want to live with, vs what I might admire at someone else's house or in a magazine. I don't like a lot of pattern and wallpaper (also don't like to wear most prints anymore), but I do like a lot of color. I think about what will seem restful and energizing to me. Personally I find ugly things quite depressing, so with every choice I try to take the time to choose something beautiful, knowing that that choice will serve me well into the future.

PS You could also take a couple of your pillows to a showroom and try them with the kind of sofa you like. Personally I don't see why not, but you can just see ... I love slipcovered furniture, and the nice thing is that you'll eventually need to change the slipcovers, and that gives you the best of both worlds.

I feel like changing my environment and being so obsessed with interior magazines and books (I’ve ordered a lot) and looking at people’s houses when I visit them (without necessarily judging) and the constant looking at the fabulous thread updated by @justaguy has made me think about my own interior like you guys.

I feel like before I was very pragmatic.
It was very important that I like what I had at home that it was tasteful (I hope), chic and easy (I don’t like a lot of things, I enjoy space).

But now, I feel like all the pieces in a place should reflect my taste in a way. And with that it’s quite a challenge. Like it’s not just about having a good and comfortable sofa but a sofa that screams « me » for what it means.

It seems like everybody is obsessed by vintage furniture and it’s so hard to not be influenced and be very precise about your taste because interior has been maybe more interesting than ever. People do care about it more than ever.

‘But the prices, because of the demand, are skyrocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slimshelly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->