The New Look (Apple TV+)

Maisie is promoting it in her UK Bazaar interview and in the ed she is wearing Dior only. Is it sponsored by the brand? They did books, they did exhibitions, is it turn of movies now to brainwash lemmings?
I don't think Dior sponsored the show (but I'm sure they "assisted" with their archives). The creator of the show also created Damages. I doubt he was sought out and hired by Dior (much less Chanel) to create this show. I think if Dior, the brand, actually influenced the show they wouldn't have looked at Ben Mendelsohn and thought "ah, yes... now THERE'S Christian Dior!!!"
Radio Times 10-16 February 2024 Digital Issue
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-07 at 3.13.19 PM (1)~2.jpeg

As it stands, "The New Look" is a series that successfully captures the utter horrors of war alongside the beauty of creation. The severity of one only emphasizes the gravity of the other. Together, they make something breathtaking, heartbreaking, and entirely worth watching! ❤️

As it stands, "The New Look" is a series that successfully captures the utter horrors of war alongside the beauty of creation. The severity of one only emphasizes the gravity of the other. Together, they make something breathtaking, heartbreaking, and entirely worth watching! ❤️

Josh Sharpe from Paste Magazine had.... um, *very* similar thoughts on the show.

metacritic.com

I’m attempting to watch the first episode. Seriously, Ben Mendelsohn’s casting as Dior is an abomination.

Balenciaga remains the superior fashion series of 2024.

Watching it now… right after Balenciaga…Disney really tackled fashion during and after WW2 better than this.
Now the actual events, sure, inspired, yet no digging into the actual couture, it’s only the background. With Balenciaga, couture remains the core.

The New Look is aimed toward an old boomer hoping to see what WWII in France is, not an actual fashion afficianado.

Masie Williams is doing a spectacular job and I am loving her current promo campaign, never expected this of her yet she’s delivering it.

I couldn't make it through the first episode. The absurdity of Balenciaga sitting with... Balmain and Dior WHEN THEY WERE *ASSISTANTS* to Lucien Lelong was too stupid. I know just enough about this era of fashion that this show is painful. Let me guess, the show doesn't even include the Théâtre de la Mode dolls? *shudder*

juliette binoche as chanel is some of the worst casting i've ever seen. my god. i couldn't make it past the first five minutes the whole thing is so bad.

I'm attempting to watch the rest of the first three episodes this morning. The Catherine Dior plot is genuinely interesting, there's a real story worth telling there, but they're trying to do too much. Some of the details are so wrong...

Oh, this is painful. ON WHAT PLANET DID BALENCIAGA AND DIOR SHARE A CHOCOLATE BAR IN 1943... I'M... SPEECHLESS.

VS--AppleTVCA-13’04”.jpg
VS--AppleTVCA-13’27”.jpg

I'm going to keep watching the series until they introduce Pierre Cardin, one of my favourite fashion personalities.

Watching the fourth episode now, which I oddly find more tolerable than the first three. Not the show pretending the Théâtre de la Mode dolls weren't Robert Ricci's idea.

Decided I should finish this show before my AppleTV subscription expires next week... it never gets better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julovw
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->