The Last TV Show You Saw?

^^^ Sometimes, these period-based series are only worth watching for the costumes.

In the case of Shogun 2024, dare I hope that the actual storytelling will be as strong as the trailers have shown the costumes/set design/cinematography to be…??? And hopefully the prominently Japanese cast of characters will be speaking in Japanese when shown in scenes amongst themselves, and not English. It would be just so wrong for them to be speaking in English in such scenes. One of my earliest memories of experiencing the sheer beauty and the intense barbarity of premodern Japanese imagery was watching Kurosawa’s Ran with my dad; I didn’t understand Japanese nor the English subtitles— and my dad ignored me to explain (LOL), but I was completely mesmerized and horrified by the imagery, most of all by Lady Kaede’s presence:

^ are you talking about the Gilded Age? that has to be my least favorite moment in fashion, everyone looked so.. strangled/cramped. The hair, the prints, the corniness.. I can't!

I'd guess it will be mostly English, just going by Cosmo. I don't know if it's because I watched Silk not long ago but I feel some mix of fatigue or cynicism whenever I see the mandatory Westerner centered in the story when diving into Japanese culture. I get it, it's difficult because they were a closed country and there's hardly any reference to plug them into a general timeline we can all relate to and grow curious from there, but I still find it odd that writers/producers/whatever will have no qualms in investing in a story about, say, girl in Kentucky who suffers from some autoimmune disease that affects one in 5 million and is dying in 3 months and somehow graduates high school, falls in love and marries some kid who looks straight out of a 1994 Calvin Klein ad, all in these 12 weeks (aka. ZERO relatable story :lol:).. but will scratch their heads on how to present the most basic, ancient story of political tension, a daughter that needs to be married off asap plus stunning landscapes/killer outfits, and will be like 'we need a chronically culturally shocked blond guy so the viewer relates and remains interested!'. It's like the kpop phenomenon, the amount of foreign things we watch on Netflix, it all flies over their heads!

That being said (and rant over 😅), I'm so hypocritical I'll watch a period drama and be like 'okay, and now he'll get beheaded because it's 1592 and it makes total sense!' but will clutch my pearls at the swords of the Japanese! lol I think the quietness and lack of drama preceding the violence (like in that clip you posted) rattles me more...

"Fellow Travelers" on Showtime. I'm not 100% invested in it, but Matt and Jonathan (Skippy..really?) are quite easy on the eyes, so I'll watch it until the end.

A Town Called Malice (for a second time) and The Real Housewives of Potomac.

Twinkling Watermelon, basically like a Back to the Future premise but with music. I find it ridiculously charming and so unexpected.
finished Moving earlier this year and loved it (was more violent than I expected but ok if you're fine with Squid Game)
Just started on Call It Love, I rather enjoy a good melo but I've shelved it (currently on episode 2) because it's a bit of a downer for end-of-year.

Murder at the End of the World ( modern day Murder She Wrote - the writers didn’t realise they had a better story in the flashbacks & they killed the best / most likeable character ~ so dumb.)
School Spirits ( great binge)
CSI :New York (reruns - total love)
Bosch ( highly recommend)
The X- Files ( still great ~ I miss the 90s) :cool:

"The Office"..the American version. It was "The Dundies" episode where Pam gets drunk & get banned from Chili's. Still my favorite ep.

This week:

Home Improvement
Friday Night Lights
Buffy
Californication
Yellowjackets
The West Wing
For All Mankind

still on Call It Love, it's astonishingly good and I'm in love! Currently on episode 10 of 16 and refusing to binge watch because its subtlety really benefits from having a little breathing room between viewing episodes. It's such a shame kdramas that end up on D*sney+ weren't very popular before Moving (later 2023) and this one is from last winter. I honestly wish it was better known, Kim Young Kwang and Lee Sung Kyung are outstanding in it - their chemistry is also 100/10 - and would have been winning awards if it had a little more hype.

anyway, rave over, deffo check it out if you're open to Korean dramas and don't like loud romcoms.

I'm watching the UK edition of Traitors! Claudia Winkleman's outfits are my actual obsession, that Kapital knit+skirt/kilt ensemble just killed me.

I'm also watching Endeavour - I adore a good vintage-tinged detective series and this is one of the finest.

Cannot stand Peter on The Traitors and his smug *** face. I need him GONE. Hopefully Kate and Phaedra will murder his ***. Altho I know there's at least one more round table of Peter vs. Phaedra to go... ugh I'm scared 🙈

Got convinced to watch Bridgerton for the first time 😩

Mullet, come quick and wash aways the cheapness of the Oscar's mother-of-the-bride bridelwear. Feast your eyes on the costumes from the Shogun series:

^ I started it! and got such a good impression that I decided to save it for when I had full focus (I think I was cooking or something lol). I’ll get on it tonight!

"coffee and donuts"

joyce moreno walking around shibuya and ebisu. at the cafe and the record shop, talks about coffee, desserts, music, and memories of miltinho, jobim, johnny alf, june christy, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonb199
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->