The Last Movie You Saw?

Saltburn ... meh honestly I was enjoying it like half to 3/4 of the way and then when Barry
was jerking off or whatever on Jacob Elordi's grave
I was like alrighty we get it this movie is trying to be perverse... and where is the family during this? Also at the end when the plot was revealed, everything immediately got less interesting. I felt like the director pretended to read Bataille or something and instead of going a little deeper or having any mystery left about desire I just got spoon fed a dumb answer.

Also don't know for sure but the "NFI" was totally referencing real housewives of DC. Also the Versace spring 2008 runway music lol

I watched Selena for the first time, what a sad story... Imagine you dying about to live the peak of your life!

By the way, I thought Jennifer's performance was excellent.

Eileen ... another ugh! I was enjoying so much and with the shock mid way, but then everything abruptly fizzled out! All of these twitter 🚬 blabbing about "cinema is back!" keep getting my hopes up for nothing

By the w a y, we need to STOP making movies about people with Boston accents. I cannot take this sh*t anymore.

“The Boy and the Heron” was a delight. Already planning on seeing it again.

“Leave the World Behind” was kind of fun. Everyone was acting like Julia Roberts’ character is awful as hell, but for me she was maybe the only character in the movie that felt like an actual human being. Still, it was fun.

Made You Look. Had been curious about this one for a while and found it on the plane yesterday and LOL.. sorry but Domenico DeSole’s wife’s tears and her ‘omg I wish HELL on this woman for selling me a fake Rothko!’… bahahaha! the way they all jumped on works like typical auction vultures exclusively guided by name-dropping and turning a blind eye on provenance (and probably would’ve been upset and even fired anyone raising questions about it, especially Domenico as a chairman), they all had it coming and the tantrum just stemmed from public humiliation after being exposed as essentially bankers with minimal sensibility towards art. If they can carry on fine after that, so should everyone else involved in that case.. ultimately only one party was asking for 6-digit figures and it wasn’t the original scammers lol, it should be more problematic that a company with entire departments devoted to research and cataloguing is asking for 7-digit figures..

Chungking Express.

Brilliant as ever, I don't think I can ever get tired of watching it.

Saltburn.

Such a mess. Emerald Fennell really thought she was so clever doing a “Talented Mr. Ripley” meets “Euphoria” mashup.

Ultimately, it was so hollow and trite and pointless…why was I supposed to care about anything that happened in that movie? She wanted to shock and play edge-lord. Writing and telling a compelling story was not high on her priority list.

She’s the British Greta Gerwig and Saltburn was her “Barbie.”

Maestro. Wow that was painful.. and awful.
How did I know it would be that bad??

I was getting “Blonde” vibes even from the marketing material. And that movie was the most painful movie-watching experience I had ever had.

I guess I’ll skip it.

Saltburn and The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes.

How did I know it would be that bad??

I was getting “Blonde” vibes even from the marketing material. And that movie was the most painful movie-watching experience I had ever had.

I guess I’ll skip it.
It’s seriously like an SNL sketch on ‘leaving it all on this set to get dat Oscar nomination’.. there’s no gradual story, no watering down his work for the masses or even introducing it (which is necessary when it’s on Netflix and aimed at a wider, international audience), you have to already be wired to understand he's some big fcking deal and rejoice in this ridiculously dramatic ‘inside the secret life of Leonard Bernstein (bet you didn’t know he was GAY!)’ salacious biopic, which is also incredibly boring..

.. I watched Pretty Woman for the first time and kept waiting for that moment when you're like 'and this is why this is a classic' and... it never happened. It's kind of cringe (that scene w/ the piano 🥴😅), but also exploitative and sexist (tormented business man in his 40s finds purpose in life in manic pixie dream girl who's actually a s*x worker half his age who's strictly doing her job and not really listening throughout the movie and he's not really talking either lmao..). Just glad I finally got that out of the way and learned the foundation of Julia Roberts' hype.

In The Mood for Love (2000), this is our generation's Citizen Kane and I don't care how many people I've outraged with that statement.
I first watched it when I was 16 and had a taste for tragic love stories and thought it was brilliant, now I think it's legitimately one of the all-time greats of cinema in any language in the last century. Possibly because I feel like I get it on a deeper level now that I'm the same age as the characters themselves.

Also this time I watched it with an extra layer of appreciation through the 'fashion eye', Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung in those suits and her impeccable cheongsams (which never seem implausible for their characters given how often you see them re-wearing things, like his ties and her cheongsams which turn up 3-4 times on her).

Poor Things. Really really thankful I did not see this with my parents 🎉 but I definitely loved it! Every scene scene was gorgeous, especially in that brothel! Loved the curious fisheye and keyhole shots. By the end I really felt a "people can improve" vs "people are beasts" theme. And wow those costumes 😍😭 they kinda reminded me of Nicolas Ghesquiere's sci-fi victorian mashups. The score went perfect with everything as well. Loved that funky harp

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->