The Last Movie You Saw?

Barbie - of course.
First it was quite fun, loved the dance choreographie, great acting from Margot and funny face and body gymnastics from Ryan.

But it get's really cheesy and shallow and a bit boring till the end. I really hated weird Barbie (sorry, but not funny) and the whole Mattel Executive plot with Will Farell (also not funny at all).
I most loved the Barbies encounter with the Barbara Handler, the daughterof the creator of Barbie who was her inspiration. So cute, heart-warming and with a message on point!

But hey, i am a gay man, woman will feel maybe totally different about the message of the movie.

Just did Barbenheimer.

Oppenheimer was an incredibly well executed film, as one would expect. Intricate and brilliantly acted out by everyone involved - but man, was it a long *** movie. I left the screening feeling disoriented and exhausted (spent a lot of the movie trying to catch up with who's who and why they matter, although everything sort of falls into place around the end if you're unfamiliar with the history of the event and people relevant to the story). The score (or rather the use of sound) was perhaps my favorite part of the movie, along with the excellent acting. It brought the entire story to life for me and I was blown away (pun unintended) by the Trinity scene, which felt like the culmination of the film, although it went on for what felt like another hour or so. Emily Blunt was great in that part. Never quite understood the inclusion of Florence Pugh's character, but she was quite hot. Anyway, it's going to take another watch to fully take in the film but it was great.

Barbie, on the other hand, was just so much fun! What a f*cking great movie omg!! Honestly, I didn't know what to expect and I went in to the screening blind concerning the plot. It was amazing. The plot is good, the actors were brilliant, the whole thing with Barbie Land was just fantastic and Margot Robbie is the most beautiful human being I've ever laid my eyes on. Like, wow! And Ryan Gosling. And his arm veins. The abs? Hello. Give each of them an Oscar. What a man! He's Kenough! Major L for everyone who doubted him as Ken (myself included). He was absolutely fantastic! While Oppenheimer's score did wonders, it doesn't compare to the brilliance of Charli XCX and PinkPantheress - the soundtrack was so good and it fit right into the movie, it was so much fun. So many hilarious moments and the comedy was gold. America Ferrara delivered an incredibly powerful monologue that sort of changed the tone of the movie, but the real tone changer came at the very end when Margot met her maker - to the sound of Billie Eilish, which again, bloody fantastic. Such a beautiful, beautiful end to the film which delved into everything from campy fun to raw complexity of life. So good! My movie of the year, for sure. And don't take your kids to see it, it's not the movie you think it is.

Alien (1979) last Sunday - never seen it before but it's a classic for a reason. I think I'll do the series next.

I saw Jane by Charlotte the other day, cause of Jane's passing and I found it on Amazon.. and I had no idea where it was going but by the time it ended I realised it was.. some kind of exit interview, like one last chance to try as best as you can to immortalize your time with your mom and it made me.. sob, and definitely made me want to buy a plane ticket and be with my mom. Highly NOT recommended if you're in a great mood and want to stay like that.

Alien (1979) last Sunday - never seen it before but it's a classic for a reason. I think I'll do the series next.

Oh do so! You won’t be disappointed if you enjoyed Alien.

I adore the original trilogy equally. All three are so distinctively different, yet very much an evolution of the Alien universe and story. I adore the much-maligned Alien lll… David Fincher can showcase such unshakeable beauty in hopelessness, sadness and despair. It may be my favourite of the 3. And the Dog Alien is the most gorgeous design of all the aliens.

(If you haven't seen it, Prometheus is also a worthy watch-- letdowns and all.)

But hey, i am a gay man, woman will feel maybe totally different about the message of the movie.
didn't you feel that the character of allan was a bit unneccessary for the story? clearly representing a gay man, his depiction felt flat and considering the target gay audience, almost depressing, also none of his monologues got any response. as if ken is an accessory to barbie, allan is an accessory to ken so in other words a complete waste.

Ehrengard (adapted from the book of Karen Blixen) fun, quirky, beautiful scenery.

The Haunting in Venice - Quite dark, but beautifully shot. Gothic tale, great for Halloween, I guess. Personally, I think Kenneth Branagh's films have a tendency to let the drama overshadow the characters, which I find slightly annoying.

Fair Play.

holy s*it this movie, or should I say this documentary.. :spiraleyes:.. whatever hype it's gotten, it hasn't been enough, the acting is crazy, especially for such an insipid, gray context such as the ever-so fascinating world of office politics. I could hear the entire theater, myself included, gasping lmao. I don't care if there are better performances in the coming months (doubt it), if these two [Phoebe and Alden] don't get at least an Oscar nomination, I'm just going to.. break stuff in front of the Dolby Theatre. Excellent depiction of women in the corporate world, besides triggering my PTSD lol, it made me question my own sexism as I was watching it.. I seriously thought at some point that they could've skipped all the drama and maintained their happy life if he had just gotten the promotion instead, it would actually be hotter and he would not have become this pathetic joke of a man.. but he didn't and he kept pushing and ended up being
the unfortunate recipient of female brutality
.. the way it's rarely shown in movies (realistically- not in a 'Promising Young Woman' phony way) and LOVE the director for that, but also..... :shaking:

Reactions: KoV
Been indulging in some early/mid 2000s action flicks. Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Charlie's Angels and Tomb Raider. Tickles the nerves when I watch these :smilingwsmilingeyes:

Watched The Shining with some friends bc one of them never saw it! Kinda spooky at our quite remotely located mountainous airbnb lol... I hope Shelley Duvall is doing better these days

BlackBerry. Enjoyed it a lot more than I anticipated, and some really good acting.

My last movie happened to be my second Wes Anderson movie ever: Moonrise Kingdom

I thought Fair Play was excellent. While watching it, I had one small gripe with it.... why were there like only 10 employees working at this revered firm? And all out of one tiny office where even courted clients just squeeze into a cubicle of a conference room? And their apartment? Two 30ish professionals with a combined income of probably 700k-800k (or more, even prior to the promotion to PM, since presumably both were senior analysts with close to a decade of experience?) and they live in a prewar shoebox? But then I read an article that it was all intentional, to make it feel claustrophobic. The small, fish-bowl nature of the office. And they actually literally decreased the size of their apartment by bringing in the walls of the set they created by 10% again and again as the film progressed. I think it worked. Such a tense movie,

^ I understood it as just the area/floor where they work. Notice how they don't even really see the CEO that often (judging by the way everyone is turning heads right before he ends up firing the first employee).. he has an office there but it's clearly not his main office so there's more..?

I also read that part about the walls and found it so clever and fun.. it 100% worked on me and I don't want to notice it if I watch it again!. What did bother me a little is... why is it like 6 am when they leave for work on the first day but it looks like freakin' 10 am when she's almost there.. you'd think they live in Tarrytown or something (they're like 3 stops away!).

I suppose he may have another office (at the time I understood the vibe more as just he's rarely in the office), but still, the CEO/CIO's office, analysts' desks, PM's offices, and a tiny conference room where they pitch to new potential clients (which, you'd think they'd use their best or most impressive digs?) are all within 5 feet of one another. It serves the movie, thematically, but if this is meant to really be a major player.. I'm not a finance bro so I don't really know, but I think their direct competition irl in some cases has, like, entire campuses and >1000 employees.

Watched "Anatomy of a Fall" which I thought was spectacular. If there is any justice in the world this would be a front-runner for Best Picture, Director, Actress, and original screenplay.

I rarely appreciate performances from children in movies, but the actor who played the son did incredibly well, also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->