The Last Movie You Saw?

I’d be curious to see “Poor Things” if it weren’t for Emma Stone. She’s such an obnoxiously quirky, smug and pick-me actress. Her and Jennifer Lawrence are intolerable for me.

All Of Us Strangers curb-stomped my heart. I was in tears or on the verge of tears for literally 70% of the runtime. Pretty glorious, if you’re into that kind of thing.

I saw the trailer for that before poor things and it tensed me up so bad. I don't know if I can watch lol.

^ I canceled Yorgos out of my life (lol) almost 15 years ago when Dogtooth scared the bejesus out of me. I always plan to see his new films but I also know that sooner or later I'll chicken out and carry on.

I think you should see Poor Things lol it's not like Dogtooth at all. There is the whole "what happens when you grow up in an unconventional way" lol but it's all pretty humorous. But spoiler alert like 80% of the movie is sexual scenes

^ That's fine with me (I did survive Gaspar Noé's limited screening of Love in LA when nearly the entire theater walked out 😅), I can even handle horror (if it wasn't so dumb 99.99% of the time!), it's the little tiny microscopic stuff that plays with your senses and daily fears (like that bathroom scene 💀) what truly f*cks me up lol. I'll try to watch it this weekend!

^ I canceled Yorgos out of my life (lol) almost 15 years ago when Dogtooth scared the bejesus out of me. I always plan to see his new films but I also know that sooner or later I'll chicken out and carry on.

No way— I’d never think you’d be flinching from anything…

The films that I recalled having flinched, and feeling a tad numb and sad towards by the end were Salo and The Passion of the Christ.

My grandmother lived through the Japanese occupation of Shanghai when she was young— and her recount of the horror she experienced and witnessed was bone chilling. Then my friend’s grandmother recounted stories of the Japanese occupation of Korea, and the stories just doubled down on the horror my grandmother lived through. These women survived Hell. Have you watched Irreversible yet?

Anyway, Dogtooth was silly. He’s one of the most prolific filmmakers with such a specific tone and mood that you either go along with, or you’re out immediately because it’s kind of… silly. And this constance of his that's a silliness— maybe a perversity... even when it’s meant to be disturbing, comes from a fairy tale absurdity: The scene of the daughter crawling because she’s paralyzed from the leg down just to be with the weirdo antagonist in The Killing of a Sacred Deer; the scene of the woman laying on the ground paralyzed, screaming in pain, after having jumped off the 3rd floor window but doesn’t die in The Lobster; Olivia’s Queen Victoria forcing the page to look at her, then screaming at a child for looking at her in The Favourite… All so disturbing, psychotic and abusive— but so silly as well. His visual tones are so absurd, demented and knowingly silly. And still grounded in a reality that’s a tad… chilling.

^ clearly I am the problem. I woke up yesterday morning and had to touch my jaw to make sure my teeth were still there… I had a dream in which I was eating something soft and suddenly it was like rocks because surprise, half of my teeth had come off. You’d think ‘so loss is on the way..’ but no, it’s because I wrote that post about Dogtooth the night before lol. I don’t know why that movie affected me, I thought we were having a nice time thinking about social isolation so.. why did that happen!. That, Luis Buñuel’s sliced eyeball, I still think about it every other month. 😂💀

^ clearly I am the problem. I woke up yesterday morning and had to touch my jaw to make sure my teeth were still there… I had a dream in which I was eating something soft and suddenly it was like rocks because surprise, half of my teeth had come off. You’d think ‘so loss is on the way..’ but no, it’s because I wrote that post about Dogtooth the night before lol. I don’t know why that movie affected me, I thought we were having a nice time thinking about social isolation so.. why did that happen!. That, Luis Buñuel’s sliced eyeball, I still think about it every other month. 😂💀

Oh no… nevermind about watching Irreversible then. As a matter of fact, never watch it. It’ll haunt your nightmares.

…Also have recurring dreams where I lose my front teeth: First the startling discovery that the teeth are loose— then I pull them out and desperately attempt to shove them back in their place. Then full panic. Not sure if I physically check to confirm my teeth are still firmly in place when I wake up, but the realization that it was a dream is such a relief.

^ it’s one of those recurrent, fcked up dreams and the worst part is that we actually handle all of that just fine as kids lol (I could play for days with a hanging tooth because I’d try every method to pull it out and.. it just wouldn’t happen 😅).

I watched Irreversible more times than I should say and I think Gaspar Noé is actually.. a romantic lol. I don’t think about the fire extinguisher that often (but I did for a while!).. and the r*pe scene, I always covered my eyes and ears 🙊.. some would say I’ve missed out on some cinematic gem but I’ve been doing okay! I don’t need the details just like I don’t need to know what someone does in the toilet to love them!

tick, tick... BOOM! by Lin-Manuel Miranda
I really liked the movie (silly little songs about mundane things but also heartfelt scenes) and Andrew Garfield was great in it :heart:

Society of the Snow by J.A. Bayona. I'm usually not into the survival type of movie, but this one really surprised me. You can actually believe it happened. And the acting is a great as well.

tetsuo the iron man by shinya tsukamoto and unclenching the fists by kira kovalenko! the first one is such a trip, bodyhorror at its finest 😭

May December by Todd Haynes. The movie was good but I'm afraid Julianne Moore's lisp will haunt me for some time
Saw that a couple days ago too! I thought the lisp was kinda cute though lol and went well with her faux naïveté.

That movie was so good. Everyone really did their homework with researching the dynamics of a situation like that, and having the entire cast pull it off the way they did, bravo! And the SCORE LOL so fing good

Forbidden Dream ( 2019 ), a South Korean historical movie. It was heartbreaking

Audition by Takashi Miike . I don't like horror films, especially gory films like this one. But I've heard about this film a lot, Tarantino praised it and something about that image of Eihi Shiina holding a syringe intrigued me. I loved it, what film succeeds in is creating a haunting, creepy atmosphere. The gory parts were disturbing, but I didn't find them hard to watch. It's weird, but I felt a catharsis of sorts at the end.

Breakfast Club, with my 13yo niece. The best part is hearing her quote the lines. She’s being raised well, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->