UK Vogue December 2020 : Beyoncé by Kennedi Carter

Not a single memorable imagery— let alone a single memorable story.

(Beyonce looks good with the 70s flat-ironed hair in the leading spread. Sadly, the story goes nowhere and is so painfully amateur. My God, the coverlines are so insufferably arrogant: And I don’t think they’re being the least cheeky. When even Nick, Mert & Marcus and Emma are dumbing down their sensibility to match this new guard's, it’s such a sad sad sad lost cause.)

An solid issue of December & i'm amazed to see the Lara's editorial because she looks gorgerous on every photo & never loses her "femme fatale" attitude.

There are some shots that are very stunning like the two shots in the red dress and the last shot plus the second. I wish she had used her in a more indie magazine though, feels like she stil has to develop her photography a little more

that first Lara’s shot gave me life too @aracic but the rest is so uneventful...

M&M is more I&V then I&V have been themselves lately imo

it’s not an incredible issue especially for December and tbf Alexandra used to do better :innocent:

I know we complain about photographers and stylists not doing the job as well as they had in the past, but the clothes have so much to do with it as well. Just look at that Yohji dress in M&M’s editorial. It makes the photograph. And then you have a basic shirt and blazer for example, that no matter what you do, you just can’t make it look dreamy.

It's an OK issue this month, not that interesting but fine. We're in the midst of a huge pandemic and most of the world has gone back into lockdown, so all things considered, most editors are doing a worse job than Edward right now.

The Beyonce cover story is too unfocused for me. I don't mind some of the images, but, yes, the whole set doesn't look very high end. I wish that we would see Jack Davison shooting a full fashion story under EE - he's the one good discovery of Alexandra's prior to her departure. There are a couple of good shots in M&M's edit, but sadly this collaboration with Ben Bruno tanked after March 2019. Some of the shots (so ironically) don't look properly edited and airbrushed in the magazine - you can see a lot of the models' pores, and not in a Kate Moss/Penelope Cruz for W circa 2012 kind of flattering way.

The most interesting thing about this issue is that it's the first December issue to sell for £2 I think, I thought it was only alternative months. Seems quite telling :ninja:.

How beautiful were Alexandra's December covers, sienna Miller sparkling in the middle of a silver star, Kate Moss in red with crown and scepter, Elton John playing the Piano with Liz hurley, Emma Watson among golden stars ..... the number on the fantasy with Kate Moss as the sleeping beauty, those were glorious times of Vogue, this of Today is just RUBBISH

Funnily enough, there's a piece from Robin Muir inside the issue which takes a look back through the British Vogue archives and how the magazine has such a rich history of celebrating Christmas (including all those fabulous December covers under Alexandra Shulman - like the one with Sienna Miller by Nick Knight for December 2007 which remains to be one of my all-time favourites).

This issue just offers nothing in terms of festivity. A total miss of an issue, despite the overrated global sensation that is Beyoncé on a total of three 'collectable' covers which should feel like a celebration in itself - but doesn't. Here in the UK the issue is £2, and I'm not sure it's even worth that.

Funnily enough, there's a piece from Robin Muir inside the issue which takes a look back through the British Vogue archives and how the magazine has such a rich history of celebrating Christmas (including all those fabulous December covers under Alexandra Shulman - like the one with Sienna Miller by Nick Knight for December 2007 which remains to be one of my all-time favourites).

This issue just offers nothing in terms of festivity. A total miss of an issue, despite the overrated global sensation that is Beyoncé on a total of three 'collectable' covers which should feel like a celebration in itself - but doesn't. Here in the UK the issue is £2, and I'm not sure it's even worth that.

it’s £2 pounds indeed saw it today but as I’m trying to buy the Mugler cover gave it a pass (only the Adidas and McQueen ones were available).

The difference of the editorials of Tim Walker by Alexandra's shulman and Tim Walker by Edward enninful, I don't remember a single editorial of Walker by Edward enninful!!!!

it’s £2 pounds indeed saw it today but as I’m trying to buy the Mugler cover gave it a pass (only the Adidas and McQueen ones were available).

If you haven't manged to purchase the Mugler cover already, Newsstand just restocked this cover on their website. As well as the Alexander McQueen and Adidas x Ivy Park covers, for anyone that's after a particular cover!

This 21-Year-Old Photographer Just Shot Beyoncé and Became British Vogue’s Youngest Cover Artist Ever
Kennedi Carter is a student at the University of North Carolina earning a degree in African American studies.

Brian Boucher, November 4, 2020

She’s just barely old enough to drink in the US, and photographer Kennedi Carter already got the distinct honor of photographing one of her idols, Beyoncé, in the process becoming the youngest photographer ever to shoot a cover for British Vogue.

Sure, Carter had a self-portrait featured in a special project on Black photographers in the New York Times. She’d shot portraits of NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace for GQ. And she’d been honored with a spot on the British Journal of Photography’s 2020 Ones to Watch roundup, and won the single image award from Pride Photo in 2020.

But a Vogue cover and an audience with the Queen is, obviously, on another level for the photographer, who plans to graduate from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro next year with a degree in African American studies.

Beyoncé requested that a woman of color shoot the portraits, and found Carter in collaboration with the magazine’s editor-in-chief, Edward Enninful. The three Vogue covers show Beyoncé in, respectively, outfits by Mugler, Adidas, and Alexander McQueen.

On her website, Carter, a Durham, North Carolina, native now living in Dallas, describes her work as exploring “the aesthetics & sociopolitical aspects of Black life as well as the overlooked beauties of the Black experience: skin, texture, trauma, peace, love, and community.”

Her photos show Black people—young men perched on horseback, older women in their Sunday best, and members of her own family—in closely studied but seemingly casual compositions.

“I had done a lot of research into how she works, and I had underestimated how much she’s willing to submit herself to a vision and truly become someone else’s muse,” Carter told Vogue, noting that she admires the singer’s ability to “control her own narrative.”

And it sounds like the young Carter has sufficient composure to control her own, telling Vogue that after the shoot was done, “I just got home, got into bed, and went to sleep.”
artnet.com

I gazed her the other photos, and i think she should working on light. Sometimes is not looking good.

If you haven't manged to purchase the Mugler cover already, Newsstand just restocked this cover on their website. As well as the Alexander McQueen and Adidas x Ivy Park covers, for anyone that's after a particular cover!

thank you so much! :flower:

I received the pink cover today and If you thought the cover looks cheap in IG, imagine how cheaper it looks in print.

… sorry my bad I didn’t realise The Caribbean wasn’t from The Americas … potatoes/potatoes : tomatoes/tomatoes.

Mosdef UK Vogue is morphing into a magazine that is wrought with mediocrity :blush:

and Kylie wouldn't be mediocre...okay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwandre
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->