UK Vogue December 2020 : Beyoncé by Kennedi Carter

The cover spread is one of the worst things I have seen Vogue publish!! And it is easily the worst set of photos of Beyonce ever taken. I thought I might like it in print, but it's just as cheap, and amateur looking. When you think of the caliber of Photography published in the history of Vogue, and then you look around now at these new ones being celebrated, it's just dismal!!!

I did like some other content, and always find an interesting, article or two, but for a Dec issue, this is just sad!

H7-Ju-SVqj-UVk.jpg

A much better alternative for that McQueen cover. The overall shoot is absolutely terrible though. What the hell is that one shot with pancakes and no makeup?

after looking properly at Beyoncé’s editorial all the body of work is indeed very Kennedi Carter. I still don’t think that her lens perspective works well with High Fashion though and that’s why it all looks so disconnected.
Kennedi’s work is more in the wards of realism opposite this failed attempt at sensuous glamour.

also, Beyoncé’s expressions are not helping at all.

let’s see the other editorials. any reviews at all fellow TFS’ers?

I LOVE the edit, the at home feels very raw and real and Beyoncé looks gorgeous glammed up and in this semi dress down state

I know it might not be to everyone’s taste but these images just felt real and less manufactured than what we’ve got the last few years, like the blue sofa pic

Beyoncé has this as her advantage. She is classic and natural beauty. But the ed is a mess. It’s inconsistent in terms of lighting and the styling is very all over the place. I don’t get the message or the intention.
The first shot and the Tom Ford one are the best of the entire ed. They are the ones where she looks both confident and at ease. The rest is either too forced or random.

Review - 284 Pages.

MRS CARTER WILL SEE YOU NOW
Cover star: Beyoncé Knowles
Photographer: Kennedi Carter
Stylist: Edward Enninful
16 Photos

GLOVE AFFAIR
Models: Eman Deng & Hannah Motler
Photographer: Marili Andre
Styling: Julia Brenard
6 Photos

ITALIANS DO IT BETTER
Model: Lara Stone
Photographer: Emma Summerton
Stylist: Dena Giannini
7 Photos

SHAPE SHIFTING
Models: Adut Akech, Madeleine Fischer, Caren Jepkemei, Misty Kyd & Bente Oort
Photographers: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
Stylist: Benjamin Bruno
15 Photos

+ 'Dramatic Pause' with actors/actresses by Jack Davison and 'Behind the Seams' with Mountaga Diop and Ajok Madel by Nick Knight.

“Mrs. Carter Will See You Now”

I love the majority of Beyonce’s work but after seeing the editorial, I think I’ll see myself out...

UK Vogue December 2020

Mrs. Carter Will See You Now

Photographer: Kennedi Taylor
Stylist: Edward Enninful
Hair: Jawara
Makeup: Francesca Tolot
Cast: Beyonce

UK Vogue Digital Edition

UK Vogue December 2020

Glove Affair

Photographer: Marili Andre
Stylist: Julia Brenard
Hair: Anna Cofone
Makeup: Siddharta Simone
Cast: Eman Deng, Hannah Motler

UK Vogue Digital Edition

UK Vogue December 2020

Behind the Seams

Photographer: Nick Knight
Stylist: Kate Phelan
Hair: Sam McKnight
Makeup: laura Dominique
Cast: Mountaga Diop, Ajok Madel

UK Vogue Digital Edition

UK Vogue December 2020

Italians Do It Better

Photographer: Emma Summerton
Stylist: Dena Giannini
Hair: Panos Panadrianos
Makeup: Lisa Eldridge
Cast: Lara Stone

UK Vogue Digital Edition

UK Vogue December 2020

Shape Shifting

Photographer: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
Stylist: Benjamin Bruno
Hair: Andrea Martinelli
Makeup: Lucy Bridge
Cast: Adut Akech, Madeleine Fischer, Caren Jepkemei, Mysty Kyd, Bente Oort

UK Vogue Digital Edition

UK Vogue December 2020

Dramatic Pause

Photographer: Jack Davison
Stylist: Nell Kalonji
Hair: Mari Ohashi
Makeup: Celia Burton
Cast: Cate Blanchett, Jude Law, Sheila Atim, Lily James, Paapa Eissiedu, Bertie Cavel, Imelda Staunton, Sophie Okonedo, Indira Varma, Andrew Scott, Arinze Kene, Emilia Clarke, Rosalie Craig

UK Vogue Digital Edition

That photo of Adut wearing Paco!!!!!

UK Vogue December 2020

Vogue Trends: All-in Glamour

Photographer: Lucie Rox
Stylist: Julia Brenard
Hair: Kei Terada
Makeup: Crystabel Riley
Cast: Ajak Deng, Chawntell Kulkarni, Dohyun Kim, Georgia Palmer

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Thanks for letting us see the contents.

There are some nice shots here and there, but mostly, it's... deficient.

I don’t mind Beyonce, but this cover story has the appearance of being so amateur that whatever impression they were trying to achieve is lost. The calibre of the content has to match the magazine – if you want to produce offbeat imagery or stuff that looks unfinished, then choose to appear in an indie mag.

Magazines like UK Harper's Bazaar run expensive watch and jewellery editorials every month - which means that every month, they're having to come up with really inventive ways to showcase the items, and they usually do it a lot better than having a bunch of models strike half-hearted poses while wearing ill-fitting gloves, summoning up all the glamour of people about to wash dishes (Tatler is probably capable of producing a editorial showing models washing dishes while wearing priceless jewellery).

The Mert and Marcus editorial looks like they're catering to the fashion needs of the Star Trek Federation, with Vulcans getting a particular focus.

Remember December 2017 when Adwoah appeared on that genuinely exciting debut issue and everyone was so hopeful about the future of the magazine?

It's 2020 and we're still giving recognition to D&G? Please. That being said, Lara's opening shot gave me life! She never loses her sex appeal and charm. So stunning! However, the rest of that story can go.

Mert & Marcus editorial is lovely, perhaps my favorite this month. Nothing particularly special - it's a great casting, Adut especially! I also like the styling.
Dramatic Pause is nice for a celebrity portfolio, although seeing Andrew Scott makes me relive the heartbreaking finale of Fleabag every time.
And I love the two shots by Nick Knight, Ajok is just radiant.
The rest is (bad) filler.

As previously mentioned, my biggest issue with Beyoncé's story is inconsistency. It looks random and most of the shots are unflattering! However, I'm getting knock-off Partition vibes, especially with that title. I kinda like that, but I do wish it was done more properly... guess you get what you pay for. Kennedi Carter was a choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->