Christian Dior Pre-Fall 2024 Paris & New York

John had some SERIOUSLY bad collection, however atleast it was decisive....Not just Placid like all this crap.

While PPP was marketed as the creative mind of Valentino, MGC was obviously the one who was responsible for the brand's success. Looking at her approach to design, branding and merchandising at Dior, I notice a recurring element in each collection.

Following her debut collection, all of her collections consistently pull from Dior's history in one way or another. Her silhouettes often pulled from designs from Bohan's tenure, her accessories are often reworks to Galliano-era designs and she pulls show themes from Dior's early years.

It's very smart and self-aware in a way. I think that, after her debut collection, she has realised that she isn't a creative visionary, but an excellent product designer. Therefore, she depends heavily on the brand's 75+ years to act as a cultural support for her easily understandable, inoffensive merchandise.

So they did a lookbook and 4 months later they do a show with those clothes instead of hosting a Cruise collection? I’m kinda lost. Maybe it makes more sense because this is going to hit the stores soon, but still 🤔

that American nonsense was so ridiculous…

as in the lookbook, I love some of the silhouettes and the 40’s inspiration.

I feel like off-season destination shows are such a tone-deaf endeavour for the fashion world to still be engaging in…especially when they happen every few months to non-descript collections. How can these brands still think this drives impact and builds brand equity?

She really is a Marc Bohan 2.0, with not an ounce of excitement ever emanating from her collections. Just very safe and appropriate clothes with just the tiniest drop of something topical aka. feminism to make it interesting enough for the media and clientele. It's quite depressing really considering what archives she has to work with. And to think she started with Marlene Dietrich as the inspiration for this? Say what now?

Also is it just me or is she becoming increasingly more safe and corporate in her designs? You look at the start of her Dior journey and there was much more whimsy and romance to her shows? Her clothes get more and more mundane as the years go on...

Honestly, good for MGC. There are solid building blocks here for Dior’s image makers, for it to work in the stores and please her customers. At the end of the day, young girls and fashion in-crowds are not the ones sustaining their ready-to-wear department - both MGC and LVMH are pragmatic enough to act accordingly. MGC may not be the flashy star at a work place, but she’s that quiet coworker that gets the job done.

I think the concept that the strength of a fashion show would determine the fate of a company, or creates some sort of “halo” effect are quite dated at this point, as shown by MGC’s Dior and HS’s Celine (as well as the failure of Raf Simon’s Calvin Klein). Transactions are ultimately determined by products, smart merchandising/distribution, and the more nebulous realm of “image building”

Makes for a boring peanut gallery for the shows though.

So they did a lookbook and 4 months later they do a show with those clothes instead of hosting a Cruise collection? I’m kinda lost. Maybe it makes more sense because this is going to hit the stores soon, but still 🤔
Vuitton is presenting their prefall in two days…

I find it so confusing for consumers to be honest. And I’m a consumer.
Ok I know about the industry but the regular one. How could it make sense for him that the show he is seeing this week is going to be available to shop by the end of next month and the big show that had all the press in March is only going to hit the stores in late August!

And in between of that, all the swimwear, beachwear capsules are going to hit the stores too.
Honestly, good for MGC. There are solid building blocks here for Dior’s image makers, for it to work in the stores and please her customers. At the end of the day, young girls and fashion in-crowds are not the ones sustaining their ready-to-wear department - both MGC and LVMH are pragmatic enough to act accordingly. MGC may not be the flashy star at a work place, but she’s that quiet coworker that gets the job done.

I think the concept that the strength of a fashion show would determine the fate of a company, or creates some sort of “halo” effect are quite dated at this point, as shown by MGC’s Dior and HS’s Celine (as well as the failure of Raf Simon’s Calvin Klein). Transactions are ultimately determined by products, smart merchandising/distribution, and the more nebulous realm of “image building”

Makes for a boring peanut gallery for the shows though.
For all it is worth, Dior by MGC is really for the most part, very chic and safe clothes, extremely well made and quite timeless. It is boring but the majority of people in the world are quite safe in their clothing choices.

The thing is that it can be done better, with a little bit more flair and personality.

Her work appeals to a large group of women but I don’t feel like her clothes speaks for themselves.

Tbh, Sarah Burton could do the same thing but better. And I think people would buy her Dior even more!

^Indeed, so confusing! It does make more sense to me to show a collection and be able to buy it two weeks later, but then don't do the lookbook, idk.

On another note, the collection is such a bore. It was not worth a show.

Tbh, Sarah Burton could do the same thing but better. And I think people would buy her Dior even more!
Not sure if its just me but i find that MGC references a lot of Burton's mcqueen whenever she decides to do something out of her wheelhouse.. Not just the graffiti print

its so waste full on all levels

^Indeed, so confusing! It does make more sense to me to show a collection and be able to buy it two weeks later, but then don't do the lookbook, idk.

On another note, the collection is such a bore. It was not worth a show.
Add to that the fact that resort is showing next month. I think the Chanel calendar was easy to understand. They just did redos in specific markets when the collection hit the stores.

Pietro Beccari just messed up the whole calendar again…Even more considering that he showed Vuitton menswear prefall in December. Vuitton womenswear prefall this week. Next month everybody is doing resort and then June for menswear.

Btw I find it weird that Kim Jones is less pushed than before. No news on the cancelled show?

I kinda like the show tbh. It's not memorable and I find the Americana stuff to be dreadful. I had a chance to see the showroom, which is stunning but the Lady Dior bags with Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower printed on them are absolutely dreadful and worthy of a trinket gift shop.

The RTW for menswear is either boring or dreadfully bad. I think MCG, while boring is fine. Sarah Burton could be great with the right team.

They have an opportunity to take more risk with the menswear in my opinion. Kim Jones is not it anymore.

this is as expected. Basix american sportswear-inspired with mix of cheesy NYC skyline print, American flag and some beaded flapper dress. MGC is as basic as it gets but it’s well curated

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ00
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->